Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > Stick and String
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:
 
Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts


 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-09-2007, 07:02 AM   #11
LostHawg
Senior Member
 
LostHawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
LSBA Region: 76
Location: San Angelo
Posts: 1,903
Points: 4145.00
Last Activity: 07-30-2018
 @ 05:37 AM 
Default

Okay, back at it.

Sand paper

Use 220 grit or finer sand paper.

Dye


Here you see Fiebings leather dye. I also use Rit dye mixed with denatured alcohol, but not for this batch. The colors to be used are Russet, Black and Turquoise as stated before.

Thus, we enter the staining prep stage of arrow crafting:

Before staining I'll sand the shafts LIGHTLY with 220 grit or finer sand paper. This serves two purposes: smooths the shaft and helps locate splinters not previously found. You can use steel wool, but I prefer sand paper as it doesn't snag. Some splinters are workable.

Once you've made a couple passes with the sand paper over the shafts, wipe the shafts down with your shop rag or paper towel to remove dust/residue.

Now, if you choose to crown and/or cap, you will need to mark where you want the colors to change. I've got my measurements premarked on my arrow workstation so all I have to do is lay the shaft on the marks and with a No. 2 pencil (any pencil) I make a visible mark. The pencil mark will usually come off while your sanding with the steel wool; we'll get to that later.

Cap


Crown/Crest
LostHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
 


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
2017 Lone Star Bowhunters Association
Inactive Reminders By Mished.co.uk