Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > Hunting Stories
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-22-2007, 04:11 PM   #1
Hot4huntin
LSBA Past President

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 07-29-2019
 @ 02:25 PM 
Default Can you Smelllllll What I've Been Huntin'???

Friday evening the Kana Clan headed down to our lease in Live Oak County. With the cooler weather, I was anxious to see what would be moving. I was ready to hunt! Opening weekend had turned into a work weekend as the timer was mess up on my feeder and we still had to put Bobby’s blind out. I had hunted Opening Morning, but did not see anything. The season was off to a slow start!

The Saturday morning hunt was uneventful. I did not see anything, but a camera-shy field mouse that was playing inside and outside of my blind. I entertained myself by trying to snap a picture of him with my camera phone, but he was too quick. I also pondered about the shoot thru mess on the windows. I had never shot through it with my equipment, so I was wondering if it would have any effect on my arrow flight. I relied on all reports that I had read indicating it would not, but I was concerned that it would be mentally bothersome to me when the time came to shoot through it.

When we got back to camp my bro-in-law had shot a pig, but had also seen seven doe and a yearling come out. I bet he kinda wished that he was a bowhunter! It was encouraging because we had not seen very many deer or even signs of deer since we started hunting on this property earlier this year. Bobby had seen a boar that morning, but had held off shooting because he had a turkey that was gobbling near his blind. He held off in hopes that the turkey would come in, but it did not.

I was anticipating the evening hunt because my b-I-l had indicated that there was more activity in the evenings around my set up. As I climbed into my blind, I noticed that my chair and Scent Blocker suit were covered in ANTS! Yep, I had ants in my pants. YIKES! I started dusting them off, but it was getting close to the time that the feeder would go off, so I slipped them on with some ants remaining. That was not the most comfortable hunt. That evening I saw a mother quail with her covey of babies and my resident mouse; so much for the evening hunt!

Not expecting too much out of the morning hunt, I headed to the blind. Now that all the senderos have been freshly cut, everything looks the same. Needless to say, I was a little late getting to my blind. I arrived as it started to get light. My mouse was there waiting on me. Same thing, feeder goes off, nothing comes in. I get the morning sun in my blind and it makes it difficult to see for about 10 minutes. I thought about heading back to the cabin shortly after 8:00, but talked myself into staying for a little longer, because you just never know.

What??? Could it be that I hear something other than a bird munching on the corn? Because of the sun’s position, I could not see through the front window exactly what was munching the corn. I could make out the feet and they appeared to be baby pig feet. As he made his way to the feeder, I could see out of the corner window that it was a lone javelina and a nice one! He was in my shooting lane and quartering away. A couple more steps and I would not have a shot, so I aimed for the exit hole. Thwack! He jumped, fell against the feeder leg, gave a couple of kicks and lay still. I did not get a complete pass through on him because I hit the front shoulder blade. I waited for about 10 minutes to make sure that he had expired.

When I approached him, I could not believe his teeth! He had some awesome chompers on him! He was an old boar and had some serious battle scars. His nose had been rip open on one side from the nostril up. I loaded him on the four wheeler and headed back to camp. I have been wanting a good javi for a full body mount. The battle scars will add lots of character. I have killed two and neither one was near the size of this one. When Bobby saw him, he confirmed that this javi would be a good one for the full body mount, so we did a Kana Express. My bro-in-law at the lease took the javi back to my bro-in-law who does our taxidermy work. It is good to have a large family.

Mesh??? What shoot thru mesh? Never crossed my mind. And as for the mouse, well, he ran in and out of the blind one too many times. Right before the javi came in, the mouse was playing inside the blind. When he ran back underneath, something hit the outside of the blind and grabbed the mouse at the same time. I’m not sure what it was, but I’m glad it did not make an appearance inside of the blind.

Thanks for reading!

I'll post some more pics when Bobster forwards me the ones he took with his camera.

Mrs. Bobby Kana and Ty and Hunter's Mom =)

Support Bowhunting~Join LSBA!

LSBA~Your Membership is Your Voice
Hot4huntin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:17 PM   #2
txhunter
Administrator

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 09-12-2016
 @ 08:05 PM 

Good stuff Dena. Congrats on the nasty smelling critter.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:32 PM   #3
BUFF
Just Me

Last Activity: 02-24-2016
 @ 02:07 PM 

AYYABOY... well done thanks for the write up
BUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 12:19 AM   #4
Ledjadji Safaris

LSBA Region: LP
Send a message via MSN to Ledjadji Safaris
Last Activity: 04-18-2013