Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > What's Your Game > Hogs and Javes
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-15-2005, 04:19 PM   #1
Shawn D

Last Activity: 03-29-2014
 @ 12:26 PM 
Default Rancho Creek

Just wanted to let you know how my hunt went with Rancho Creek for a hog hunt. We arrived in camp and met up with Bill Adams who explained the layout of the ranch. He explained that there would be a feed route ran every afternoon. We then paid him our remaing balance before the hunt the next day. After we paid him he advsied that he would not be on the ranch for our 4 day hunt because he was going fishing. He did explain that his son would would be there to assist us and run the feed route. Well the first evening hunt came and there was no one there to run the feed route. On the second day the son advsied that the truck would not run and that we would have to feed our on area. So I decided to look at the vehicle, which started up after one crank. The son never went back to check the truck to see if it would start up. Later i showed him that it would start thinking he would run the route. But he still did not run the route for he had to work and go out to parties over the weekend. It seems that Rancho Creek is not to concerned about return customers to their ranch.

So we continued to hunt doing eveything for ourselves. We had only one hog harvested for the four day hunt. This was the only hog that showed up during daylight hours. If you plan to hunt this ranch for hogs you better be prepared to hunt at night. But even hunting at night we did not have any sucess. I understand that this is a cheap hunt but I feel there could have been better customer service.

The bunk house was a "SHACK" that was still dirty from the previous hunters. The trash was not even removed from the trash cans. The floor inside was dirty with mud. I had to mop it up just so you could walk on it. There were items in the Frig that I threw out before it walk off by itself. They had eight bunks in the trailer with childrens mattresses on them. so I hope you are short. The area around the camp was trashy down to the sons trailer which had bags of trash surrounding the trailer. It would only take a little clean up on their part to make it look a little better. But they were not concerned about this.

While talking to the son he asked what to you think about the hunt. So we told him about the corn and the conditions. His reply was "I am sorry you fell that way" So we told him that we would not be back as a repeat customer. The bad thing about the hunt is that we had heard from some other hunters that they enjoyed the hunt and the Bill treated them very well.

The reason I am writing this is to inform you of the treatment you might recieve form Rancho Creek.
Shawn D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:24 AM   #2
biggen
LSBA Hall of Fame/Hunt Committee

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 04-04-2018
 @ 07:54 PM 

Sorry you had a bad experience!!
biggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:45 AM   #3
bowjunkie

Last Activity: 02-26-2007
 @ 11:14 AM 

Shawn,

I would contact Bill yourself and let him know of your concerns. I do not know anything about the son, but know Bill to be a straight shooter and concerned about his costumers. A phone call/email/letter to him may not make the bad taste go away, but at least it may prevent someone else from getting the same.

Sorry to hear the hunt wasn't up to your expectations, but welcome to the site and thanks for contributing.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:04 AM   #4
Shawn D

I plan on giving Bill a call today. He was not there when we left so I could not tell him my concerns. For some reason my cell phone did not work in that area (thats Nextel for you lololo). I was wanting to let LSBA know of this since I saw you have a hunt planned in the future.

Thanks,

Shawn
Old 03-16-2005, 10:02 AM   #5
bowjunkie

Last Activity: 02-26-2007
 @ 11:14 AM 

I hear ya on Nextel...Dang service always cut out for me right at the overpass bridge there in Hondo headed to Sabinal. Kim and I finally merged our seperate plans (Sprint/Nextel) and went with Verizon and get service every where we couldn't before.

Glad to hear ya gonna give Bill a shout. Let us know what he says please as those of us who have hunted there have always gotten sterling service, but Bill himself was always there.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:39 PM   #6
Shawn D

Well I gave Bill Adams a call about the hunt. His reply was what do you expect for $50 a day. I told him that your hunt states a feed route was to be ran every afternoon. His respones was that the truck would not start and that he could not control that. I told him that the truck started for me everyday. I asked him if his son was there to run the route for us and he said yes. I told him that his son was not even there most of the time due to him having personal plans for the nights. Plus his son had no interest in trying to run the route for us. So I guess what he described over the phone prior to the hunt was false information on it.

Anyway I tried what you said so we will see if it helps for future hunters there.

Shawn
Old 03-16-2005, 05:32 PM   #7
Marc Smith

@ 06:00 PM 
Default MY .02

I am Shawn's buddy from Colorado. I was there on the hunt with him this weekend.

What Shwan has failed to mention is that we had an entire production there to film the hunt. We had a guy with video equipment from an industry leader in Groundblinds and Tree stands. I made arrangements with Mr. Adams and made it very clear as to the fact we needed everything top shelf. We were all experienced hunters and did not need to shoot hogs from feed pens, however please feed the feed route a couple of days prior to our arrival and while we were there to ensure opportuinty for everyone. Had this been done, the dirty conditions and filth would not have been an issue. But the "who cares" attitude and absence of Mr Adams magnified the condition. The 3000 acres of Rancho Creek are beautiful, excellent deer and turkeys galore. The man has tremendous hogs on the place, but for Pete's sake when you know you have six professional bowhunters and a film crew coming that are willing to give you "FREE" publicity on The Outdoor Channel and DVD's would'nt you think he would have pulled his head out and at least made an attempt.

The $50.00 a day is not an isuue, however 3-4 days of precious vacation, $420.00 air fare and and Groceries, I was out $1,000.00. Mr. Adams never considers the hunters true cost.

The silver lining to this hunt was from the Folks across the street. On day four I realized just how screwed we all were, I called my good friend Will Watson over at Southhills Ranch and explained the situation. He was disappoited I had hunted with someone else, however being a good person, said, "Marc, Come on over to the Ranch and I'll put you on a hog tonight." "If you don't get a shot I won't even charge You." That is a true class act, even when they could have critisized and ridiculed, they came through.

All of my Texas Hog hunting money will always go to Southhills Ranch.
Old 03-16-2005, 05:47 PM   #8
Tuffbroadhead

Last Activity: 11-24-2005
 @ 04:10 PM 

Sorry to hear about your bad expirence......The next time your down south give Pedernal Bowhunts a try, I have hunted with them fivew times in two years and had a great time and harvested 2 hogs over 250lbs and won a free mangement hunt on one of there ranches..
Tuffbroadhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:46 AM   #9
MILNRICK

Last Activity: 12-27-2016
 @ 07:44 AM 

Sorry to hear you had such a bad visit to that ranch. FOr what it's worth, we usually hog hunt at least every other month at either Cactus Creek (Nixon TX) or White Antler (Dilley TX) and have never been disappointed.

Go to www.cactuscreekhunt.com or www.whiteantler.com for more information. You'll be glad you did.
MILNRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 05:50 PM   #10
Shawn D

Thanks guys for the information on any future hunts.

Shawn
Old 03-17-2005, 06:29 PM   #11
Tomme
Region 78 Rep/Hunt Committee Chairman

Last Activity: 06-13-2015
 @ 08:31 AM 

Shawn, sorry you had a bad experience. I've hunted Rancho Creek for four years. In that time I have taken three bucks including a 127 class animal and two hogs. I know the ranch has some good hunting and has a bunch of hogs. I haven't heard Bill's side of this, but I WILL be talking to him.
Tomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:02 PM   #12
Shawn D

Tomme,

I am looking forward to hear what Bill has to say the hunt. Please let me know when you talk to him.

Shawn
Old 03-19-2005, 09:38 AM   #13
hogslayer

Send a message via AIM to hogslayer
Last Activity: 02-25-2006
 @ 03:20 PM 

Sometimes bad things happen to good people. I do not have the details but as the new hunt committee chair, I would have welcomed an e-mail and would have independently investigated. I am sure out of professionalism, Bill would not post difficulties that he experiences with hunters or members on an open forum.

As the Chair, I have spoke to Tomme and will get with Bill. I will communicate with those who would like to know the outcome.

In the future please e-mail me directly if we are proposing a hunt and you have details on the property. I welcome that and will openly share with the EC.

Even the best operations have a bad day and unless we can uncover a trend they all deserve considerations.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:57 PM   #14
biggen
LSBA Hall of Fame/Hunt Committee

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 04-04-2018
 @ 07:54 PM 

I agree Bobslayer!!
biggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 02:55 PM   #15
Mike Harr

LSBA Region: 75
Last Activity: 08-24-2009
 @ 06:51 PM 

After reading these post I would like to know if this is a fair place to hunt. I booked a spot for your spring fellowship hog hunt Jun 24-26. Have the problems been fixed, or exaggerated? A little info please.