Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-22-2006, 02:48 PM   #1
hogslayer

Send a message via AIM to hogslayer
Last Activity: 02-25-2006
 @ 03:20 PM 
Default Bar-E Ranch

Just returned from a great time at the Bar-R Ranch. Tina and Larry Zimmerman run a class operation. I was on an exotic hunt and on the first night larry places me in the stand, I saw 12 Axis with 4 really nice bucks. The unfortunate thing was that they were still in velvet . While they were there there were 10 or so Whitetails in the mix eating corn off the road, there were a number or so in the brust that did not show, but there were a couple of large shooter bucks that had not lost horns. The next morning he placed me on a stand and I saw a large number of whitetail, and a total of 8 shooter Audads, I did not shoot these as I did not want one of these in the limited space on my wall, but they would all be decent trophies. At about 9 am in another pasture, some hunters were stalking pigs, they started a stampeed! I had Red Stag deer, Sitka deer, Axis Deer, Sheeps Goats and pigs man the pigs...all pass me at full run it was quite a sight, guess they were bedding in this open field. That evening I sat the same stand, had large groups of whitetail, some return Audad, and then darkness set in, I got down on the ground and was sitting on my cushion when I heard strange sounds in the woods. I watched and saw a black mass moving toward me in the darkness of the woods, watching carefully when they were about 60 yards away I could make out the forms of some large hogs and the rest of the mass was smaller hogs. I estimated 80-120 hogs, seriously too many to count! I saw them step into the road crossing to my right about 40 yards away since I was on the ground I got up slowly ising a bush to hide my movement. I took the shot and hit the pig, now I use tracers and if you have light up nocks, it is a trip to see a ping in the woods running through the darkness with a red light flashing it sounded like a card in bicycle tires! anyway we lost the blood train in the rain and darkness, but the hunt was great, the facilities are comfortable and clean, the cleaning area is awesome! And last but not least, Larry and Tina make everyone feel welcome. If you are considering an exotic hunt I think this is a 5 star facility at 2 star pricing and if you are a hog hunter (or hogslayer) this place is awesome! lots of hogs...
Old 02-22-2006, 09:24 PM   #2
biggen
LSBA Hall of Fame/Hunt Committee

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 04-04-2018
 @ 07:54 PM 

Having been there right before Bob, all I can say is I agree. The facilities are very nice and of course the hosts (Tina and Larry) are great! If you want to take somebody on a guaranteed, shot opportunity & hunt (as much as bowhunting can be!). I would recommend the Bar-E ranch.
biggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 07:45 PM   #3
Shawn D

Last Activity: 03-29-2014
 @ 12:26 PM 

The Bar E is a great hunt as stated above and the best people you will ever meet. I had gone back in October and it was one of the best outfits that I had been on. I am lookinng forward to a return hunt sometime in the future.
Shawn D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 04:05 PM   #4
hogslayer

Send a message via AIM to hogslayer
Last Activity: 02-25-2006
 @ 03:20 PM 

gonna plan another visit in may if possible, biggen, you in???
Old 02-27-2006, 02:32 PM   #5
biggen
LSBA Hall of Fame/Hunt Committee

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 04-04-2018
 @ 07:54 PM 

Hogslayer I gotta get to the Grunts and Gobbles first then we will see!!
biggen is offline   Reply With Quote