Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2011, 07:46 AM   #316
AWMiller

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 09-29-2012
 @ 09:04 PM 

Troegs The Mad Elf Holiday Ale
Troegs Brewing Company | Hershey, Pennsylvania USA

Style: American Strong Ale

Definitely a Christmas ale that one should try no matter what extent they must go to get it! Full of yuletide flavors – cherries, honey, cooking spices. Truly a nightcap brew of nightcap brews! The blends of sweet and spicy flavors are beyond compare. The long-lasting aftertastes of honey and cooking spices are just phenomenal and well worth every effort it takes to get your hands on this excellent brew!

Rating: 5 out of 5 mugs!!!

=========================

Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter
Flying Dog Brewery | Frederick, Maryland USA

Style: Imperial/Strong Porter

This brew is definitely my favorite from the Flying Dog line-up. Immensely flavorful and makes for one intense nightcap! In a word, stellar. In another work, delicious. And in five more words – need to get some more! This brew has a texture that is so smooth but what I like is that it is somewhat thick. Dark chocolate, espresso and molasses flood the taste buds like you wouldn’t believe! Definitely a great brew to have on hand during the cold wintry months to take the chill out of the air!

Rating: 4 out of 5 mugs

Sierra Nevada Northern Hemisphere Harvest Wet Hop Ale (2011)
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. | Chico, California USA

Style: India Pale Ale (IPA)

Another fine specialty craft brew from SNBC! Die hard malt-heads wanting to break into hoppy brews need to hit this one and keep at it until their taste buds get acclimated to the hops. This brew has the characteristics of an IPA that I have been looking to for quite some time. A mild hoppy hit up front quickly followed by a caramel-y maltiness that easily makes one eager for the next delicious sip! Now to pair this one up with some spicy fish tacos and creamy German-style cole slaw!

Avery Maharaja Imperial Pale Ale
Avery Brewing Company | Boulder, Colorado USA

Style: Imperial/Double IPA

What a snazzy imperial IPA! The second of the Dictator Series for me to taste and this hearty pale ale is absolutely delicious! Insanely rich, aromatic and flavorful. I was a bit leery at first because of the 102 IBU but there is not any overabundance of bitterness in this brew. Gonna definitely enjoy more of this one!

These and many more beer reviews (including 'beer-nerd' details about each brew) are available on my blog; the link there is provided on my profile page.

ABOUT AW's BIERKELLER: My beer review blog contains beer reviews from an 'average joe' beer enthusiast for 'average joe' beer enthusiasts. It ain't purty, heck it ain't even grammatically correct. It's just me tellin ya what I think about the brews that I have savored. It ain't much but it's sure to put a grin on your chin and a chuckle in your gullet! If'n you're into wild game (the kind ya go out into the great outdoors to get [i.e. hunting or fishing]; not that prepackaged stuff!!) then I got some tasty brews that will go right good with your meal! So thank ye kindly for stoppin by! Now get on in thar and find some brews that you'd like to try & maybe some ya'd better stay away from!

DISCLAIMER: All beer tasting notes and reviews are subjective. The thoughts and opinions contained herein are those of the ‘bier vorgeschmack’ and him only. The intent of these here beer review is to spur interest in brands and styles that one may not normally indulge in and to entice one to venture out and try new brews. While some may argue that there are no other beers than Miller, Coors, Bud, and Keystone, this is much akin to arguing which vanilla ice cream tastes the best. There are more brews out there; try some and enjoy the savory adventure!
AWMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:41 AM   #317
AWMiller

Ridgeway Reindeer’s Revolt
Ridgeway Brewing | South Stoke, United Kingdom (England)

Style: English Strong Ale

What looked somewhat appealing turned into quick dismay upon tasting. Lackluster in both aroma and flavor – very thin and a weak old caramel candy taste. I was thinking of purchasing the holiday variety pack but am now seriously reconsidering. Truly not inclined to class this one up with other English strong ales.

Bier Shop: H-mart (Korean grocery store) – Carrollton, TX

Beer-Nerd Details:
------------------
ABV – 6%
Appearance – (from a slow pour) small bubbly off-white colored head that dissipated very quickly; hazy copper colored body; fair amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – very weak; bread, caramel, nuts, toffee
Palate – light bodied; thin texture; marginal carbonation; drinkability scale = easy
Flavor – starts off and finishes off very weak; malty through and through; caramel and toffee notes throughout

Rating: 2 out of 5 mugs

Stone Double Bastard Ale
Stone Brewing Co. | Escondido, California USA

What an awesome American strong ale! Bold, intense and intrinsically delicious! Caramel, roasted pine nuts, burnt sugars and a light punch of alcohol make for an abundantly smooth, slow-drinkin’ beer! Starts off malty & spicy and then settles down to a dry malty finish with some long-lasting caramel in the aftertaste. Not too sweet. Not too hoppy. Just right!!

Bier Shop: Lone Star Beverages – Carrollton, TX

Beer-Nerd Details:
------------------
ABV – 10.5%
IBU – CLASSIFIED (seriously! it’s that way on their website!)
Appearance – (from a slow pour) average bubbly/creamy tan colored head that slowly diminished; clear dark copper colored body; excellent lacing effects on the glass
Aroma – burnt sugar, caramel, grapefruit, light alcohol, pine
Palate – medium bodied; smooth texture; lively carbonation; drinkability scale = moderate
Flavor – starts off malty and spicy with notes of caramel and grapefruit; finished off dry and malty
Pairing Recommendations – beef/buffalo/bison, brats/sausage, fish/seafood, pasta (meat), poultry, salmon, shellfish, small game (rabbit, squirrel, etc), venison, wild boar, wild fowl (upland & water)

Founders Backwoods Bastard
Founders Brewing Company | Grand Rapids, Michigan USA

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Fan-freakin-tastic! Of the Scotch Ales (a.k.a. Wee Heavy) that I have tasted, this one is one of the best!! My thanks to Larry for the gift of this fine brew as I can’t find it in my area and we need to start carrying it! Wonderful scents of robust bourbon, dark fruits and vanilla. Gimme a case of these and leave me alone! Go easy on this brew as the alcohol is so well hidden. Some smoked venison or wild boar fajitas would pair oh so well!

Bier Shop: Received as a gift from Larry!!

Beer-Nerd Details:
------------------
ABV – 10.2%
IBU – 50
Appearance – (from a slow pour) small bubbly off-white colored head that quickly dissipated; clear ruby-brown colored body; sparse amount of lacing effects on the glass
Aroma – bread, caramel, cocoa powder, alcohol, vanilla, apples
Palate – medium bodied; slick/smooth texture; average carbonation; drinkability scale = heavy
Flavor – starts off malty-sweet with notes of cocoa, bread, caramel, apples; finished off dry and malty-sweet
Pairing Recommendations – beef/buffalo/bison, fish/seafood, lamb, salmon, venison, wild boar

Rating: 5 out of 5 mugs

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale (2011)
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. | Chico, California USA

Style: India Pale Ale (IPA)

(2011 release) Wonderfully hoppy with a smooth undertone of warm caramel candy. It has a very nice hoppy punch at first but it mellows out quickly with some long-lasting malty sweetness. Definitely a great brew for the fall/winter seasons. Make this one part of your winter holiday repertoire!

Bier Shop: Beer & Wine World – Mansfield, TX

Beer-Nerd Details:
------------------
ABV – 6.8%
Appearance – (from a slow pour) large bubbly off-white colored head that slow diminished; clear copper colored body; excellent lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – caramel, grapefruit, pineapple, pine
Palate – medium bodied; smooth texture; lively carbonation; drinkability scale = moderate
Flavor – starts off hoppy with grapefruit/pineapple; finished off slightly sweet with long-lasting malty notes
Pairing Recommendations – beef/buffalo/bison, brats/sausage, fish/seafood, pasta (meat), poultry, salmon, small game (rabbit, squirrel, etc), venison, wild boar, wild fowl (upland & water)

These and many more beer reviews are available on my blog; the link there is provided on my profile page.

ABOUT AW's BIERKELLER: My beer review blog contains beer reviews from an 'average joe' beer enthusiast for 'average joe' beer enthusiasts. It ain't purty, heck it ain't even grammatically correct. It's just me tellin ya what I think about the brews that I have savored. It ain't much but it's sure to put a grin on your chin and a chuckle in your gullet! If'n you're into wild game (the kind ya go out into the great outdoors to get [i.e. hunting or fishing]; not that prepackaged stuff!!) then I got some tasty brews that will go right good with your meal! So thank ye kindly for stoppin by! Now get on in thar and find some brews that you'd like to try & maybe some ya'd better stay away from!

DISCLAIMER: All beer tasting notes and reviews are subjective. The thoughts and opinions contained herein are those of the ‘bier vorgeschmack’ and him only. The intent of these here beer review is to spur interest in brands and styles that one may not normally indulge in and to entice one to venture out and try new brews. While some may argue that there are no other beers than Miller, Coors, Bud, and Keystone, this is much akin to arguing which vanilla ice cream tastes the best. There are more brews out there; try some and enjoy the savory adventure!
Old 12-21-2011, 08:40 AM   #318
AWMiller

Widmer Brothers Brrr Seasonal Ale
Widmer Brothers Brewing Company | Portland, Oregon USA

Style: Amber Ale

Strong flavors and aromas of hops and candy caramel. One of the smoothest and easiest drinking (almost too easy) winter brews I have tasted. Definitely a prime choice for those holiday parties. Not heavy and certainly to compliment well with ham or wild game dinners!

Bier Shop: Wine Styles – Mansfield, TX

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 7.2%
Appearance – (from a slow pour) average bubbly off-white colored head that quickly dissipated; clear dark amber colored body; excellent lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – caramel, grapefruit, pine
Palate – medium bodied; creamy texture; marginal carbonation; drinkability scale = moderate
Flavor – started off hoppy & malty with hints of caramel, plums, raisins, grapefruit; finished off dry, malty and slightly bitter; long-lasting aftertaste of toffee and good warming effects from the alcohol.

Rating: 3 out of 5 mugs

Harpoon Winter Warmer
Harpoon Brewery | Boston, Massachusetts USA

Style: Spice Beer

Not a bad tasting spiced beer. Comes off spicy and sweet on top of a thin texture and light-bodied brew. Although ’winter warmer’ by name, this brew is truly a spiced beer but it’s not a bad one to try at least once.

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 5.5%
Appearance – (from a slow pour) average bubbly off-white colored head that slowly diminished; clear ruby-brown colored body; good amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – bread, caramel, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg
Palate – light bodied; smooth/thin texture; marginal carbonation; drinkability scale = easy
Flavor – starts and finishes off dry, spicy and sweet; long-lasting aftertaste of brown sugar and vanilla

Samuel Adams Winter Lager
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams) | Boston, Massachusetts USA

Style: Spiced Beer

Not a bad spiced lager. Subtle aromas and flavors of vanilla, caramel, herbal hops, and toasted malts. Very easy on my ’drinkability scale’; almost too easy as I fought the urge to chug this one down. Would make for a suitable winter brew to stock up on for those holiday parties. Again not bad but certainly not one that I would eagerly await the next release of!!

Bier Shop: CostCo Wholesale Club – Arlington, TX

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 5.6%
Appearance – (from a slow pour) sparse bubbly off-white colored head that quickly dissipated; clear dark amber with ruby hued body; sparse lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – caramel, toasted malts, herbal hops, vanilla, cinnamon
Palate – light bodied; slick texture; marginal carbonation; drinkability scale = easy
Flavor – starts off slightly spicy and hoppy with notes of caramel, orange and cinnamon; finished off semi-sweet with long-lasting wheat aftertaste.

Samuel Adams Old Fezziwig Ale

Style: Spiced beer

I think I have determined that ginger and me just don’t agree. Aside from the ginger, this brew is on the ’weak’ side for my preferences. Thin and watery and a chugger in my book. Add in the ginger characteristics and I’m just not too fond of this brew.

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 5.9%
Appearance – (from a slow pour) sparse bubbly off-white colored head that quickly diminished; clear ruby-brown colored body; fair amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – chocolate, cinnamon
Palate – light bodied; thin/watery texture; marginal carbonation; drinkability scale = easy
Flavor – starts off malty with notes of chocolate, raisins, orange, and cinnamon; finished off semi-sweet.

These and many more beer reviews are available on my blog; the link there is provided on my profile page.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:41 AM   #319
AWMiller

Samuel Adams Holiday Porter

Style: Porter

Now this is a good holiday brew from BBC! I would recommend this as a good starter or segway brew for those that have not dabbled with porters. Very tasty and quite filling; wouldn’t mind seeing this in its own 6-pack rather than in the holiday mix-case (as some of those others just aren’t to my liking). Nice long-lasting chocolaty aftertaste with just a hint of roasted nuts.

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 5.8%
Appearance – (from a slow pour) average frothy tan colored head that slowly diminished; clear ruby-brown colored body; excellent amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – chocolate, roasted grains, nutty
Palate – medium bodied; creamy texture; average carbonation; drinkability scale = moderate
Flavor – starts off malty with notes of chocolate, roasted nuts, toffee, and dark syrup; finished off dry and malty

Boulevard Nutcracker Ale (2011)
Boulevard Brewing Co. | Kansas City, Missouri USA

Style: English Strong Ale

A good complex beer that offers up a good array of holiday flavors! There’s a nice citrusy-hoppy snap at first followed up by a soothing/warming effect of the malts (bringing in some flavors of caramel and warm/toasted bread). This is one of those brews that becomes more appreciable as it slowly warms up. Don’t rush! Slow down and enjoy this beer to its fullest.

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 5.9%
Appearance – (from a moderate pour) average bubbly off-white colored head that slowly diminished; murky copper colored body; fair amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – caramel, nutty, grapefruit, lemon, grass, brown sugar
Flavor – starts off dry, spicy and slightly bitter; finished off dry, hoppy, and slightly sweet with long-lasting lingering of grapefruit

Choc Winter Stout
Krebs Brewing Co / Choc Brewing Co. | Krebs, Oklahoma USA

Style: Stout

What a good stout for the winter! Oh you can have it any time but it’s a good brew to push away that wintry chill! Quite a nice blend of hops in this stout and it creates a flavor that is truly unique! As the brew slowly warms those flavors just deliciously intensify! Enjoy some (responsibly) today!

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 6.5%
Appearance – (from a moderate pour) huge creamy tan colored head that slowly diminished; clear black colored body; good amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – oaky/woody, chocolate, coffee, pine
Palate – medium bodied; thick texture; average carbonation; drinkability scale = heavy
Flavor – starts off dry/malty; finished off dry/malty

Urthel Vlaemse Bock
De Leyerth Brouwerijen (Urthel) | Ruiselede, Belgium

Style: Abbey Dubbel

What an awesome brew! Fruity, sour, sweet – very complex! Let this one warm just a tad for some really intriguing flavors! Truly a brew to be enjoyed throughout the year but my favorite time of the year is Fall and Winter alongside some tasty rum-coated fruit cake (call me weird but it is divine). Grab a bottle and share some with your friends!

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 7.5%
Appearance – (from a moderate pour) small bubbly off-white colored head that quickly diminished; murky brown colored body; sparse amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – caramel, herbs, oaky/woody, vanilla, raisins, cherries, honey
Palate – medium bodied; smooth texture; fizzy carbonation; drinkability scale = moderate
Flavor – starts off fruity, sour, sweet with oaky notes and light alcohol with vanilla, caramel, toffee, and cherries; finished off dry and semi-sweet with light alcohol and long-lasting oaky aftertaste
Pairing Recommendations – beef/buffalo/bison, brats/sausage, lamb, pork, poultry, small game (squirrel, rabbit, etc.), venison, wild boar, wild fowl (upland & water)

Old 12-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #320
AWMiller

Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Style: Vienna

I’m not too found of this brew. Rather bland in both flavor and aroma. I would say that of the Sam Adams line-up that I have tasted, this one is ranked right near the bottom (in my opinion). There is a lot of boasting and bragging about the choice ingredients being used, the time involved in the special processes, and the cost of those choice ingredients. Given that sort of word play and one would think they would be savoring a most delicious brew; but in the case, at least for me, the brew did not live up to the hype.

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 4.8%
Appearance – (from a moderate pour) average rocky off-white colored head that quickly diminished; clear amber/brown colored body; fair amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – sweet malts; spicy/bitter hops; lots of grainy notes
Palate – light bodied; thin/watery texture; average carbonation; drinkability scale = easy
Flavor – starts off sweet; finished off bitter and spicy with a long-lasting hoppy/grainy aftertaste

Tommyknocker Maple Nut Brown Ale
Tommyknocker Brewery | Idaho Springs, Colorado USA

Style: Brown Ale

Immerse your taste buds into some maple sweetness! Light bodied and easy on the palate. Full of flavors and aromas of nutty, maple syrup (duh!). Not sure I would pair this with anything (except pancakes!) due to the sweetness of this brew. But a good drinker for those looking for something light and sweet.

Bier Shop: Dr. Jeckyll’s Beer Lab – Arlington, TX

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 4.5%
Appearance – (from a moderate pour) sparse bubbly off-white colored head that quickly diminished; clear brown colored body; sparse amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – caramel, maple syrup, nutty
Palate – light bodied; smooth texture; marginal carbonation; drinkability scale = easy
Flavor – starts off malty/sweet; finished off malty/sweet with long-lasting notes of roasted nuts and maple syrup

Widmer Brothers Reserve Lemongrass Wheat Ale
Widmer Brothers Brewing Company | Portland, Oregon USA

Style: Wheat Ale / Wheatwine

Quite an interesting wheat ale! I’m digging the combination of lemongrass and muscat grape juice in this brew. Tart and tangy; I have visions of various seafood dishes running through my mind right now!! Don’t ask for recommendations; just buy a bunch of bottles of this brew and come on over for a feast! This is a brew truly made to pair up with some succulent food; by itself it is good but just needs something to go along with it.

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 9%
Appearance – (from a slow pour) average creamy white colored head that slowly diminished; hazy yellow/orange colored body; good amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – loads (but not overbearing) of lemongrass
Palate – medium bodied; creamy texture; lively carbonation; drinkability scale = moderate
Flavor – starts off tart/sweet; finished off tart/sweet with long-lasting lemongrass and wheat notes
Pairing Recommendations – fish/seafood, pasta (seafood), pork, poultry, salmon, shellfish, wild upland fowl

Samuel Adams Imperial Series – Imperial White

Style: Witbier

Truly taking a witbier to a whole new level! Robust, flavorful and definitely a pairing with some of my shellfish dinners! This witbier is truly pushing the boundaries of either the trappist dubbels or tripels! Go slow on this brew and enjoy it to its fullest!

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 10.3%
Appearance – (from a slow pour) average bubbly off-white colored head that slowly diminished; hazy orangish-amber colored body; good amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – oranges, coriander, banana
Palate – medium bodied; smooth texture; lively carbonation; drinkability scale = heavy (go slow and enjoy this one the right way)
Flavor – starts off malty; finished off malty
Pairing Recommendations – fish/seafood, pork, poultry, shellfish, wild upland fowl

Old 12-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #321
AWMiller

Samuel Adams Cherry Wheat

Style: Fruit beer

Like biting into a fresh cherry pie. A wee bit too fruity for my tastes but those into fruity beers will enjoy this one. Crisp and refreshing for those into this type of brew. However, it is just too fruity for my taste and preferences.

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 5.3%
Appearance – (from a slow pour) average bubbly/creamy white colored head that slowly diminished; hazy golden-yellow colored body; good amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – fruits (cherries)
Palate – light bodied; slick texture; average carbonation; drinkability scale = easy
Flavor – starts off tart/fruit; finished off tart/fruity with long-lasting aftertaste of cherries and wheat

Boulevard Nommo Dubbel (Smokestack Series #15)
Boulevard Brewing Co. | Kansas City, Missouri USA

Venison round-steaks, garlic taters, and a Boulevard Nommo dubbel! Oh how heavenly!! Now to the brew!… Loads of caramel and hearty holiday spices (coriander, cinnamon, banana) helps make this brew something worthwhile for the holidays! Drinking this one at a warmer temp (not right out of the fridge!) helps one to enjoy this brew at its fullest! Oh to have this one fresh on tap!!!

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 8.1%
Appearance – (from a slow pour) average creamy/bubbly off-white colored head that slowly diminished; dark amber colored body; good amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – bread, caramel, roasted grains, molasses, raisins, bananas, coriander, cinnamon, light alcohol
Palate – medium bodied; smooth texture; average carbonation; drinkability scale = medium
Flavor – starts off malty/semi-sweet; finished off dry, malty/semi-sweet
Pairing Recommendations – beef/buffalo/bison, brats/sausage, lamb, pork, poultry, small game (squirrel, rabbit, etc), venison, wild boar, wild fowl (upland & water)

Avery The Beast Grand Cru
Avery Brewing Company | Boulder, Colorado USA

Style: Belgian Strong Ale

Definitely THE top dark Belgian strong ale in my book! After savoring the last of the Demons of Ale series from Avery Brewing, I can state for the record that I saved the best for last! This is a massive brew both in texture and taste; truly meant to be savored slowly and all by itself. The warming effects from the hefty ABV are truly wonderful. Definitely the PERFECT nightcap!

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 16.83%
Appearance – (from a slow pour) average creamy tan colored head that slowly diminished; clear dark brown with reddish hues colored body; good amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – chocolate, light alcohol, brown sugar, dates, plums, prunes, raisins
Palate – full bodied; smooth texture; lively carbonation; drinkability scale = heavy
Flavor – starts off malty/semi-sweet; finished off dry, malty/semi-sweet
Pairing Recommendations – beef/buffalo/bison, brats/sausage, fish/seafood, pasta (meat), poultry, salmon, shellfish, small game (squirrel, rabbit, etc), venison, wild boar, wild fowl (upland & water)

Bell’s The Oracle
Bell’s Brewery, Inc. | Kalamazoo, Michigan USA

Rich and intense – this is one delicious brew! Loads of ruby red grapefruit scents and flavors from beginning to end on this brew. This flavorful beverage starts off with a well-balanced set of maltiness and hoppiness and then settles down to a dry, slightly hoppy/bitter finish with a long-lasting aftertaste of grapefruit, roasted pine nuts and just a slight hint of warm caramel. My thanks to Larry for this exceptional gift!! Some oysters and mussels would pair up wonderfully with this brew!!

Bier Shop: Received as a gift!!

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 10.4%
Appearance – (from a moderate pour) average bubbly off-white colored head that quickly diminished; clear copper colored body; excellent amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – candy sugars, grapefruit, lemon, orange, pine, floral hops
Flavor – starts off malty/hoppy; finished off dry, hoppy
Pairing Recommendations - beef/buffalo/bison, brats/sausage, burgers, fish/seafood, pasta (meat), poultry, salmon, shellfish, small game (squirrel, rabbit, etc), venison, wild boar, wild fowl (upland & water)

Old 01-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #322
AWMiller

Magic Hat Howl (a.k.a. Black As Night Winter Lager)
Magic Hat Brewing Company | Burlington, Vermont USA

Style: Schwarzbier

Finally a brew from Magic Hat that I can take a liking to! Under the cap it read: “It’s easy to talk and say nothing at the same time.” The body is light with a very smooth texture. Good notes of dark chocolate, caramel, and coffee are in both aroma and flavor of this beer. Easy drinker to pair up with a good burger or some smoked brats.

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 4.6%
Appearance – (from a moderate pour) average bubbly off-white colored head that quickly diminished; clear black colored body; sparse amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – caramel, dark chocolate, coffee
Palate – light bodied; smooth texture; fizzy carbonation; drinkability scale = easy
Flavor – starts off malty; finished off dry and slightly chalky, slight hint of tobacco

Real Ale Coffee Porter
Real Ale Brewing Company | Blanco, Texas USA

A somewhat good porter but comes across a tad bit thin and watery. Aromas and flavors of semi-sweet chocolates, weak coffee, and toffee. Starts and finishes off rather dry with some long-lingering notes of vanilla and coffee. Truly a porter with ’chugger’ qualities.

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 5.6%
Appearance – (from a moderate pour) average bubbly tan colored head that quickly diminished; clear ruby-brown colored body; sparse amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – semi-sweet chocolate, coffee, toffee
Palate – light bodied; thin/watery texture; average carbonation; drinkability scale = easy
Flavor – starts off dry/malty; finished off dry/malty with long-lasting vanilla aftertaste

Tommyknocker Cocoa Porter Winter Warmer
Tommyknocker Brewery | Idaho Springs, Colorado USA

Tasty and enjoyable, this porter is an easy drinker. Good flavors/aromas of honey, caramel and cocoa powder (but nothing overpowering). Great pub fare with some salty/spicy mixed roasted nuts. Only other pairing I would suggest would be to pour this over some mint chocolate chip ice cream and enjoy a good dessert float.

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 5.7%
Appearance – (from a moderate pour) average bubbly tan colored head that quickly diminished; clear ruby-brown colored body; good amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – caramel, coffee, cocoa powder, honey
Palate – light/medium bodied; smooth texture; average carbonation; drinkability scale = easy
Flavor – starts off dry/malty; finished off dry/malty with long-lasting semi-sweet chocolate aftertaste

Samuel Adams Chocolate Bock

Style: Dunkler Bock

Grab ya some homemade vanilla ice cream, pour this brew over it and enjoy yourself one tasty float! Loaded with flavors of chocolate, this brew really comes off like a rich chocolate malt with a slight kick. Makes for a great midday dessert sipper. As the brew warms there is a very nice fruity/tart hint of cherries.

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 5.8%
Appearance – (from a moderate pour) large creamy tan colored head that slowly diminished; clear amber/brown colored body; sparse amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – chocolate, vanilla, plums
Palate – light/medium bodied; creamy texture; fizzy carbonation; drinkability scale = easy
Flavor – starts off malty/semi-sweet; finished off malty/semi-sweet with long-lasting chocolate malt and cherries aftertaste

Old 01-02-2012, 08:19 AM   #323
AWMiller

Samuel Adams Black & Brew Coffee Stout

I’m having a bit of a time getting my taste buds around this brew. Not in that it is flavorful or complex but rather in that it is bland, flat, and has an ’old’ taste to it. Starts off rather dry and malty and then finishes off dry and chalky (really ’chewy’ in a bad sense).

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 5.8%
Appearance – (from a moderate pour) huge creamy tan colored head that very slowly diminished; clear black colored body; good amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – toasted bread, chocolate, coffee
Flavor – starts off dry; finished off dry/chalky with light alcohol notes and coffee in the aftertaste

Big Sky Powder Hound Winter Ale
Big Sky Brewing Company | Missoula, Montana USA

Style: Amber Ale

Quite the hoppy winter ale with just enough sweet caramel undertones to make for an easy drinker. Having a hard time with the classification of this brew – some sites show this to be a strong ale but it is more along the lines of a hoppy amber ale. I’d recommend some spicy chicken fajitas or perhaps some spicy fish tacos to pair up with this brew.

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 6.2%
Appearance – (from a moderate pour) large frothy tan colored head that slowly diminished; clear copper colored body; excellent amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – caramel, grass, oranges, biscuit dough, honey
Palate – light bodied; smooth texture; fizzy carbonation; drinkability scale = easy
Flavor – starts off slightly malty; finished off slightly hoppy with long-lasting slight bitterness

Victory Yakima Glory Ale
Victory Brewing Company | Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA

Style: Black IPA

Good hoppy bite all the way through from start to finish on this brew. Just enough roasted malts to lightly sweeten things up just a tad. Very aromatic with some delightful tobacco scents in the background. Delightfully rich and flavorful by itself; this brew would pair up very well with a hearty grilled rib-eye steak!

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 8.7%
Appearance – (from a moderate pour) large bubbly off-white colored head that slowly diminished; clear dark ruby colored body; excellent amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – roasted malts, grapefruit, herbs, tobacco
Palate – medium bodied; smooth texture; average carbonation; drinkability scale = moderate
Flavor – starts off malty; finished off dry/slightly hoppy
Pairing Recommendations - beef/buffalo/bison, brats/sausage, burgers, lamb, venison/wild boar

Founders Curmudgeon
Founders Brewing Company | Grand Rapids, Michigan USA

Style: Altbier / Old Ale

The bar has been set!! Now this is a brew one can truly come to appreciate all year long! Excellent flavors and aromas! For an old ale this bugger is holding out like a full-bodied ale but tastes easy enough of the palate to enjoy a few throughout the day. Flavors and textures come off like a fine Chilean merlot – smooth and very fulfilling.

Bier Shop: Received as a gift!!

Beer-Nerd Details:

ABV – 9.8%
Appearance – (from a moderate pour) large bubbly off-white colored head that slowly (oh sooooo slowly) diminished; hazy copper colored body; good amount of lacing effects on the glass.
Aroma – candy sugars, raisins
Palate – medium bodied; smooth texture; average carbonation; drinkability scale = moderate
Flavor – starts off sweet; finished off sweet with long-lasting sugar (but not overpowering) and light alcohol notes in the aftertaste along with honey and raisins
Pairing Recommendations – beef/buffalo/bison, brats/sausage, pasta (cheese/cream), pork, poultry, small game (squirrel, rabbit, etc), venison, wild boar, wild fowl (upland & water)

Old 01-02-2012, 12:17 PM   #324
AWMiller

Koningshoeven Trappist Dubbel (a.k.a. La Trappe Dubbel)
Bierbrouwerij De Koningshoeven B.V. | Berkel-Enschot, Netherlands

All in all this was a rather good dubbel; a good baseline brew (if you will) to be used in comparison to other brews in its class/style. After a few folks telling me of this brew and them knowing I really like a hearty abbey dubbel, I was excited to finally sit down with this brew and taste it for all its worth!

I start off with a moderate pour rate (not aggressive but not slow) to bolster up a nice head. The head size was very sparse and very thin composed of off-white colored bubbly foam. Head retention was quite weak as the head quickly dissipated. A light swirl of the glass and I see that there is going to be very little (hence, sparse) lacing effects on the glass while I savor this brew. The body on this beer is a clear, ruby-brown colored body.

A deep sniff of the brew reveals chocolate, lemons, biscuit dough, brown sugar, raisins, and some peppery spices. Starting off the brew is malty, tart, and slightly sweet with some light alcohol present. Most dominant flavors I pick up were chocolate and peppery spices [not like hot peppers though]. It finished off dry and again malty, tart, and slightly sweet. The finish duration (aftertaste) was about average; not long-lasting.

This brew was good on the palate: medium bodied; smooth texture; lively carbonation. On my drinkability scale [easy - moderate - heavy], this brew ranks a ‘moderate’; one that is to be enjoyed slowly. As this brew slowly warmed the aroma and flavor only slightly became more pronounced.

In the end I was a bit dismayed in that the brew didn’t live up to the hype (or my perceptions of the hype). Don’t get me wrong, it’s a good brew but nothing over the top. Maybe if I had some cheesy pasta this brew would be a lot more enjoyable!

Beer-Nerd Details:

Bier shop – Beer & Wine World; Mansfield, TX
ABV – 7%
IBU – not listed
Serving type – 750ml bottle
Recommended serving temperature 45°-50°F

Regia Extra

Style: Pale Lager

Coming home from being out-and-about on Christmas Eve I find a small unmarked package on my front doorstep. Cautiously I approach this package and gently lean forward to see if I can hear any ticking sounds! There were none so I gently cut the tape and slowly open the box lid … no ‘ka-boom’!! I peer inside to see a large bottle of brew-goodness and head inside to see what ‘Santa’ has brought for me! Lo and behold it is a lager brew from El Salvador! My first thoughts are along the lines of this being another ‘adjunct’ brew …

From a moderate pour rate (not a fast pour yet not a slow pour either) this brew laid out an average (1-finger thick) head that was white, bubbly and one that slowly diminished. A quick swirl of the glass (and many savory sips later!) and there is a fair amount of lacing effects on the glass. The body is a crystal-clear golden yellow color that is one of the finest presentations of a pale lager that I have seen in quite a while!

A deep whiff of this brew reveals aromas of roasted corn, slightly bread-y, light lemon, grass, light alcohol, and I swear I smell club crackers. I was expecting that standard ‘skunky’ scent that is present in many brews of this style but none were detected! Initially this brew is dry and malty with some very nice flavors of roasted corn and light amount of alcohol to taste. Finishing off it is again dry and malty with no bitterness whatsoever and a nice long-lasting finish duration (aftertaste) of roasted corn and a slight sugary sweetness.

This brew was a delight on the palate! Light-bodied; smooth texture (not thin & watery like what many ‘adjunct’ pale lagers pose); and lively carbonation. On my drinkability scale [easy-moderate-heavy], this brew ranks as ‘easy’; a good ‘chugger’, bottoms up!

So like I said earlier, my first thoughts were along the lines of this being just another ‘adjunct’ brew. Nothing could be farther from the truth! This was a very refreshing brew that was very flavorful. Given the amount one gets in a bottle and the price (average price is right at $3.00USD) this is one excellent brew to have on-hand for those BBQs and fish fry! It also is making for an excellent choice while watching these college football bowl games!! Grab the nachos, chili and hot wings and plenty of bottles of this brew and enjoy!!

Beer-Nerd Details:

Brewery - Cerveceria La Constancia S.A. / BevCo Ltd | San Salvador, El Salvador
Bier Shop – Received as a gift!
ABV – 4.3%
IBU – not listed
Serving type – 32oz. bottle
Recommended serving temperature 35°-40°F.

Guinness Black Lager

Style: Schwarzbier

I had mixed thoughts and expectations with this beer and to be frank, I did not think that it would hold up to those expectations. I had already read some previous reviews and talked with folks that had tried it and I could only find a scant few that owned up to the fact that they liked it. Even with that knowledge, I tasted this brew with an open mind. The door to that openness quickly shut.

The only thing going for this brew (in my opinion) was that it was a right good-looking beer. Using a moderate pour rate this brew put out a head that was average (about 1 finger thick), bubbly and off-white in color. It was very slow in its diminishing rate and the clear, black-colored liquid put out some excellent lacing effects on the glass.

The aroma and flavor of this brew were absolutely weak. Scents of bread, stale chocolate, grass, and some sort of smell that just singed the nostrils way in the background. From start to finish this brew was bland and malty. There was some sort of long-lasting bitterness that just completely turned me away from this brew; so much so that I did not even finish it.

This brew was light in body, very thin and watery in texture, and had some ‘fizzy’ carbonation going on. On my drinkability scale [easy-moderate-heavy], this brew is an ‘easy’ brew to drink. Definitely a brew to chug down as I would not want to invest any more time than necessary to get through with it.

In the end this brew was just another tic mark on the “tried-it-but-ain’t-gonna-do-it-again” list. Feel free to try this brew at your own peril (or enjoyment if you happen to actually like it)!

Beer-Nerd Details:

Brewery - Guinness Ltd. | Dublin, Ireland
Bier Shop – Beer & Wine World; Mansfield, TX
ABV – 4.5%
IBU – not listed
Serving type – 12oz. bottle
Recommended serving temperature 45°-50°F.

Rating: 1 out of 5 mugs

Avery The Kaiser Imperial Oktoberfest

Style: Imperial Oktoberfest/Marzen

The final brew in Avery’s Dictator Series for me to try and I am so thankful to my ‘secret Santa’ for bringing this wonderful gift! All of the other brews in this series {Maharaja and The Czar} were just exceptional and I felt that this brew would be right in line! So grabbing my favorite snifter (“The GrandFazha”) it’s time to pour this brew up and enjoy!

From a moderate pour rate this brew loaded up a large (2-finger thick), bubbly, off-white colored head that diminished oh so slowly! After it settled down just a tad I gave the glass a gentle swirl and the lacing effects on the glass were most excellent. The body color is a gorgeous hazy copper and when held to the light it was just amazing to gaze at!

The aromas of this brew are just, well … intoxicating! Warm bread, caramel, herbal hops, bread dough and a light hint of alcohol. The flavors of this brew stand tall as well. Initially it is malty-sweet with hints of caramel, light alcohol, spices, and orange zest. Finishing off the brew is the same malty-sweet through and through with nice warming effects from the alcohol. The aftertaste is extremely long-lasting with the same caramel, orange zest, and spices. Absolutely amazing.

Medium bodied with a very creamy texture and lively, lively carbonation. On my drinkability scale [easy-moderate-heavy], this brew scores in the moderate-heavy range. A brew that truly deserves one going slow and savoring every sip to its fullest. As this brew slowly warms, it just gets better and better.

Truly a malt-head’s delight!! This brew is again just amazing and one to be enjoyed many, many times. Some serious food pairings would include some grilled (or smoked) brats alongside some zangy sauerkraut and decadent potato salad. Other food pairings would include: beef/buffalo/bison, sausage, pork, poultry, and wild upland fowl.

Beer-Nerd Details:

Brewery - Avery Brewing Company | Boulder, Colorado
Bier Shop – Received as a gift!
ABV – 10.01%
IBU – 24
Serving type – 22oz. bottle
Recommended serving temperature 40°-45°F.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:25 AM   #325
AWMiller

Left Coast Voo Doo

Having stopped by one of my favorite beer stores, I noticed some new brews that I have yet to try out. Picked up a few from Left Coast as I’ve never seen any in our area and I just can’t pass up on any new arrivals! Being a malt-head I was really excited to try out this new stout…

From a moderate pour rate this brew hoisted up an average (1-finger thick) head that was creamy and mocha colored. The body was a clear black with subtle brown/ruby colored hues when held up to the light. The head slowly diminished and left a good amount of lacing on the glass.

Immediately upon opening the senses are flooded with the intense aromas that this brew puts forth. Sweet scents of caramel, chocolate, coffee, roasted barley, coconut, rum, and dark fruits. The flavor of this brew was just as intense as that of its aromas. It started off malty with delicious flavors of: chocolate, caramel, coffee, coconut and a subtle hint of wood (like that of beers stored in bourbon barrels). This brew has an awesome long-lasting aftertaste that is quite malty and no bitterness whatsoever.

Medium-bodied with a thick (somewhat ‘chewy’) texture and a fizzy carbonation level. On my drinkability scale [easy-moderate-heavy], this brew would be a ‘moderate’ drinker. Go slow and enjoy those flavors; especially as the brew continues to slowly warm.

I can’t wait to savor more brews from Left Coast as this one was definitely a winner in my book! As for some excellent food pairings, I would recommend: beef/buffalo/bison, small game (rabbit, squirrel, etc.), venison, wild boar, and wild fowl (both upland and water). This brew would also make for an excellent dessert beer as well!

Beer-Nerd Details:

Brewery - Left Coast Brewing Company | San Clemente, California USA
Bier Shop – Lone Star Beverages | Carrollton, TX
ABV – 6.8%
IBU – not listed
Recommended serving temperature 40°-45°F.

Abita 25th Anniversary Vanilla Double Dog

Received a nice set of brews to enjoy from my son-in-law at Christmas! Some I have already savored and this one which I had not at the time. Needless to say I couldn’t wait for the opportune time to savor this brew!

From a moderate pour this brew laid out an average-size head (approximately 1-finger thick) that was creamy and quickly dissipated. The body was clear and dark-brown in color with some ruby hues when held up to the light. This brew left some good lacing effects on the glass while I was savoring it.

This brew was very aromatic from the opening of the bottle all the way down to the last sip and for a good while afterwards. Aromas of caramel, chocolate, nuts, dark fruits (plums), and vanilla. The flavors held up just as well as the aromas. Starting out it was malty-sweet with hints of chocolate, vanilla, nuts, plums, cinnamon and nutmeg. This brew finished out malty-sweet with a long-lasting aftertaste of vanilla.

Medium-bodied with a creamy texture and ‘fizzy’ carbonation. On my drinkability scale [easy-moderate-heavy], this brew ranks as a ‘moderate’ brew go slow and enjoy!

Overall this is a good brew but a wee bit on the sweet side for my taste; finishing the bottle would have been much easier if I had paired it up with cheese (like smoked gouda). Still this is a nicely amped-up brew from Abita! Thanks SIL!

Beer-Nerd Details:

Brewery - Abita Brewing Co. | Abita Springs, Louisiana USA
Bier Shop – Received as a gift.
ABV – 7%
IBU – not listed
Recommended serving temperature 50°-55°F.

Old 01-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #326
AWMiller

Left Coast Asylum

Style: Abbey Tripel

What a joy it is to stroll into the beverage store only to see some new brews that I have not tried as of yet! But oh the struggles of choosing only a few to take home!! Any time I see an Abbey Triple I just have to grab it as this is truly my most favored style of beer!

From a moderate pour rate this brew lays out a large (2-finger thick) bubbly head this is egg-shell white in color. The body clarity is quite hazy and the body color is a lovely golden color with a mix of yellow and orange hues mixed in when help up to the light. The lacing effects from this brew are just insane!

Amazingly aromatic and flavorful this brew is! Aromas of warm bread, light alcohol, bananas, pears, honey, allspice, cloves, and nutmeg. The brew starts off sweet and fruity and matches the flavors with the aromas just listed. It finished off still sweet and fruity but with a long-lasting aftertaste of vanilla, light alcohol, brown sugar, and bananas.

Surprisingly light-bodied with a smooth texture and ‘lively’ carbonation. On my drinkability scale [easy-moderate-heavy], this brew would be classed as a ‘moderate’ drinker.

Go slow with this brew ’cause it is packed with ABV!!! It gets better and better as it slowly warms and I would love to pair this up with a rum-soaked fruitcake sometime soon! This is my second brew from Left Coast and both have been amazing! I can’t wait to try more from LCB soon!

Beer-Nerd Details:

Brewery - Left Coast Brewing Company | San Clemente, California USA
ABV – 11.8%
IBU – not listed

Bridgeport Hop Czar Imperial IPA

I love reading beer labels that really strive to grab my attention and this brew was loaded with attention getters! ”A robust ruler of IPA is here. All hail the King!” “Brewed with over 2 pounds of whole leaf hop cones in each barrel.” “… brewed with an irresponsible amount of hops …” Who couldn’t resist grabbing some brews with these sort of statements?! I hope that the brew holds up to their hype!

Poured using a moderate pour rate, the head foamed up to a large (2-finger thick) bubbly off-white colored mass that slowly dissipated. The body was hazy with an orange/apricot color; quite a good-lookin’ brew. The lacing effects on this glass were just phenomenal!

The aromas from this brew were wonderful: bread, caramel, floral hops and spices. The flavors held up just as well with the brew starting off hoppy and spicy with a light hint of alcohol. It finished up much the same with a long-lasting piney/resin aftertaste.

Medium bodied with a very smooth texture and lively carbonation. On my drinkability scale [easy-moderate-heavy], this brew would definitely be a ‘moderate’ brew; go slow and enjoy those flavors.

Well it certainly does appear that the beer matched up to the hype from the label! It certainly become more and more enjoyable as the brew slowly warmed though. Definitely a good brew to pair up with some rib-eye steaks or perhaps some mussels covered with tiger chili sauce and pico de gallo!!

Beer-Nerd Details:

Brewery - BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub | Portland, Oregon USA
Bier Shop – Beer & Wine World | Mansfield, TX
ABV – 7.5%
IBU – 87
Serving type – 12oz. bottle

Old 01-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #327
AWMiller

Bridgeport Kingpin Double Red Ale

Hailing from Oregon’s oldest craft brewery and new addition to my “hall of fame”, this is one fantastic brew!! Little did I know the joys that awaited my taste buds when I purchased this brew!

From a moderate pour this brew hefted out a large (2-finger thick) bubbly off-white colored head that slowly diminished. The body clarity was clear and the body color was a lovely reddish-brown. This brew also put out some of the most decorative lacing I’ve yet to see from a brew!

Immediately upon opening I knew that this was going to be a very special brew because the aromas were just magnificent. Scents of caramel, grapefruit, lemons, floral hops and even bananas. Starting off this brew was hoppy and sweet showcasing those amazing flavors of caramel, grapefruit, lemons and bananas. It finishes off just the same with a long-lasting aftertaste of sweet caramel and bananas. It’s a superb balance between hops and malts all the way through.

Medium-bodied with a slick texture and lively carbonation. On my drinkability scale [easy-moderate-heavy], this brew is truly a moderate brew; go slow and savor the flavors.

I’m definitely going to enjoy more of this beer and I can’t wait to try more beers from Bridgeport!! Some smoked venison would pair very well with this brew!

Beer-Nerd Details:

Brewery - BridgePort Brewing Co. / Brewpub | Portland, Oregon USA
ABV – 7.5%
IBU – 65
Serving type – 12 oz. bottle

Avery dugenA

Avery Brewing puts on some brews that you just can’t go wrong with and this brew is not exception to the rule!! I’ve been wanting to try this brew for a very long time; just haven’t had the opportunity to find it in my area. One of the most insanely aromatic and flavorful IPAs that have crossed my taste buds yet! Truly a brew that I recommend very highly.

Starting with a moderate pour this brew lops out a hefty (2-finger thick) head that is bubbly, off-white in color, and very slow diminishing; very, very, veeeeery slow! And som e of the most lovely lacing effects left on the glass all the way through!

Again I say that this brew is insanely aromatic with scents of bread, oranges, pine/resin, and peaches. This brew starts off hoppy and malty with delicious notes of bread, oranges and peaches. Finishing off it is slightly bitter with a nice long-lasting effect from the warmth of the alcohol. On the bottle it says “brutally bitter”, I’d agree but now that my taste buds are acclimating themselves to these hoppy brews, it’s not so bad and coming from a malt-head like myself that’s a good thing!

Medium-bodied with a ultra smooth texture and very lively carbonation. On my drinkability scale [easy-moderate-heavy], I’d score this brew as a definite ‘moderate’ brew. Go slow and enjoy all the flavors that this brew provides.

Yet again Avery doesn’t cease to amaze! So much so that I have found another brew to add to my “hall-of-fame”!! Seriously going to pair this one up with some smoked salmon, fried fish, or perhaps some cheesy pasta next time!! Oh… this brew gets much more delicious as it slowly warms up!

Beer-Nerd Details:

Brewery - Avery Brewing Company | Boulder, Colorado USA
ABV – 8.5%
IBU – 93
Serving type – 22 oz. bottle

Old 03-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #328
AWMiller

Dos Equis XX Ambar

Every now and then I like to kick back a few good Mexican brews and this is one of my more preferred brews from Mexico. In fact most beers coming out of Mexico are essentially your more lighter beers with two goals in mind: quench thirst, cheaply. This brew does both but also adds in the element of more refined taste and enjoyment in my opinion.

With a moderate pour this brew put out a large (2-finger thick) bubbly off-white colored head that quickly diminished down to a thin foamy ring. With a clear body clarity and dark amber color, this brew left some good lacing effects on the glass while I enjoyed it.

This is one good malty brew with scents and flavors full of sweet toasted malts. I did not detect any bitter notes in this beer. From start to finish this brew is malty (semi-sweet) and very dry, crisp and refreshing.

Light-bodied, thin texture, and an average carbonation level. On my drinkability scale [easy-moderate-heavy], this brew is an “easy” drinker.

Pair this brew up with some grilled pork for a great pairing!

Beer-Nerd Details:

Bier Style – Vienna Lager
Brewery - Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. | Monterrey (Nuevo León), Mexico
ABV – 4.5%
IBU – not listed
Recommended serving temperature 40F-45F.

DISCLAIMER: All beer tasting notes and reviews are subjective. The thoughts and opinions contained herein are those of the 'bier vorgeschmack' and him only. The intent of these here beer review is to spur interest in brands and styles that one may not normally indulge in and to entice one to venture out and try new brews. While some may argue that there are no other beers than Miller, Coors, Bud, and Keystone, this is much akin to arguing which vanilla ice cream tastes the best. There are more brews out there; try some and enjoy the savory adventure!
Old 03-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #329
AWMiller

Woodchuck Hard Cider (Raspberry)

Thought I would verge off the beaten path and find something light so off to some ciders I went. Ciders are a good change but not something I’m always hitting up as they typically remind me of those fruity tasting wine coolers. But for a quick and light summertime cool-down, these certainly can hit the spot!

From an aggressive pour rate this cider put out only a sparse-sized head (don’t expect much more as these are not noted for putting out massive-sized heads) that was bubbly, off-white in color, and rapidly dissipated soon after pouring. The body clarity was crystal clear and a very light yellow in color. There is hardly any lacing effects on the glass and that much was to be expected.

Raspberry is as raspberry does! There seemed to be some slight notes of apple in both scent and flavor but maybe that was my mind stretching for some other than raspberry. From start to finish this cider is very tart and fruity and a bit overbearingly sweet for my preferences.

Light-bodied, thin texture, and an average carbonation level. On my drinkability scale [easy-moderate-heavy], this cider is definitely an “easy” drinker; chug away and quench that thirst!

A summer-time drink this one definitely is and one that I would pour over ice and maybe spike it up a bit with some tequila or rum!

Beer-Nerd Details:

Bier Style – Cider
Brewery - Green Mountain Cidery (HP Bulmer) | Middlebury, Vermont USA
ABV – 4%
IBU – not listed
Recommended serving temperature – as cold as you can get it!

DISCLAIMER: All beer tasting notes and reviews are subjective. The thoughts and opinions contained herein are those of the 'bier vorgeschmack' and him only. The intent of these here beer review is to spur interest in brands and styles that one may not normally indulge in and to entice one to venture out and try new brews. While some may argue that there are no other beers than Miller, Coors, Bud, and Keystone, this is much akin to arguing which vanilla ice cream tastes the best. There are more brews out there; try some and enjoy the savory adventure!