Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > Hunting Around the World
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-31-2007, 02:20 AM   #1
Chunky

Last Activity: 11-19-2013
 @ 08:41 PM 
Default Chunky on Africa

I know that there are those who are way more knowledgeable than I am, but I thought I would add my tips. The things I have learned from my two trips.

You do not need a ton of cloths....they do laundry everyday so you can save some room there. I had 3 sets of camo, plus jacket, hats, gloves, and sweatshirt.

Take some shoes that are good for stalking just in case you get to do some.

Take all equipment you need and plenty of arrows and spare parts, because you are not going to be able to replace anything once you are there.

Take good cameras and video equipment. Your PH will know how to use it and you will get great stuff...they are practiced and do this for a living.

Decide what animals you want and how much you can spend before you go. You will most likely see tons of game and have lots of opportunity.

Listen to your guide, they know there stuff.

Don't sweat it if an animal gets away with out a shot opportunity, you will get another chance.

Take only very high percentage shots as you pay for anything you hit. A bad hit will not only cost you a big trophy fee, it will take much of your valuable time as you try and find and finish your wounded animal.

Tell you PH what you would like to do. I said before to listen and trust them, and that is correct....but, they still work for you. If he wants you to stay in a blind because that is your best chance, but you are tired of blinds and want to go stalking...tell him, they are very accomodating if they know what you want they will do it. Communication is the key to a good hunt and good feeling.

Rifles will be there and available. I think you should think about the scenerio where you have a wounded animal and you are going to pay for it, do you want to use the gun to put the animal down or not. The opportunity to shoot is often short and that is not the time to be wasting time thinking about it.

The plane ride is forever, make sure you have everything close that you need to make you comfortable. I don't take the drugs, but many do.

Take some flu flus or small game arrows, there are lots of opportunities at birds and small game if you like doing that.

You can contact your outfitter and ask if there is anything they need from the US that you can bring them. Shipping to Africa is expensive and often items don't make it. If you have extra room in your bag and you could take something like a Leatherman Tool, broadheads, or whatever, they would be very grateful. I use this as part of the tip if I know what to bring.

Make sure you bring anything you might need as far as first aid or hygiene....like eye wash, blister treatment, tweesers, as there are no Walgreens or Walmarts.

You will probably be spending a lot of time in blinds, take books, magazines, and things like that. I also took a notebook and recorded all that I saw and made notes for each day.

You can get by with out scent lok stuff. You will have a guide and maybe a tracker with you and I don't think they use scent free soap when washing your cloths. Don't worry much about scent.

I used my binos alot, I had my GPS, but did not use it. That is not to say I wouldn't take it.

Find out ahead of time if you can use credit cards or you need travelers cheques/cash. You can set up an accout ahead of time so you don't have to carry thousands of dollars on you.

I alway fill any extra room in my bags with toys, art supplies, candy, etc and give to the local kids when I see them. I fill that space up with souviners on the way home.

We tried to ship some stuff back on the last trip, spears, masks, and things....they never made it.

Make sure you are practiced and your equipment is in top condition, you will probabaly shoot as much on a 14 day safari as you would in 14 seasons in east Texas. If you don't noramlly shoot out of blinds...you need to practice this.

It rained on me one day, but I would still not pack rain gear.

I am going to say this one more time.....take only perfect or near perfect shots.

Okay, enough for now, I am sure I will think of more and add it later. I hope it helps someone.

Last edited by Chunky; 06-11-2008 at 05:06 PM..
Chunky is offline   Reply With Quote