Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > Hunting Stories
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #1
Greywolf

LSBA Region: 96
Last Activity: 02-18-2013
 @ 11:10 PM 
Default I hate dog Poachers !!!!!

Ok, now that is clear......
I decided to go out smart a hog tonight at the ranch, (first mistake) so I noticed they have done some trail clearing.
They used a Bobcat and dozed a 5 foot wide trail right past my little trail where I duck into the woods to sit the "Pit". but it's ok there is a nice size tree that fell blocking the trail.
Ok, remember last week, I tried to get in quietly on the hog? Ok, as I said, trying to out smart the hog I decided to get there before him....... remember I said "trying" yeah ok...

Well, ole smarty brithches decided he needed to be there earlier today so when I eased in there he was, standing there butt to me, not a care in the world, nosing around in the "Pit"
I eased up but due to the rains all this week, I swear the weeds grew 2 feet over the week!!! I couldn't get a clear lane unless I was 10 feet from him.... Ok, Yeah , I know the way it's shaping up...
So a small minute encie whincie tiny twig that I stepped on was the only dried out thing in the woods, and it sounded like a shotgun going off. Go figger !! Oh speaking of going off, guess who else did too?

He did exactly like last time no hurry, he just never stopped one time going up the hill, so I grunted.... I don't know how, but evidently the hog didn't like it, because he went into turbo mode getting over the hill.
Note to self "DON'T grunt at hogs" Ok, so I moved up next to the feeder and tried the remote, when I hit the button , I know my energizer bunny was all but dead on arrival. finally one last try as I walked away, the feeder kicked off

So I made a bee line for the platform, one last look to see if the hog was heading this way and I climbed onto the platform, only to notice the top of the 5 gal bucket was covered with blue berries that stain jeans real bad,, grrrr....
I snapped off some leafs and lay them on top and sat down... which I suddenly realized the wind was 180 degrees wrong, it was blowing straight into the "pit" Oh man !!!!
So I'm sure if the hog was watching he'd be thinking ...So this is what a Charlie chaplain movie looks like ahhh... I see.

So as quietly as a 6'4" 280 pound guy can quietly climb down, I made my way to the Condo and decided the first floor, just 5 feet up would be good for tonight.
I'll save the top floor for another time. I'm sure there were plenty of berries up there too !!! Just my luck !!
I settled in and looked at all the burlap that had disintegrated and needed to be replaced, oh well it'll work for tonight. I settled in for what would be a wonderful night, I just know it !!

About 4:17 I look at my phone clock, I set it down and rock back on the bucket, It'll be good.... I just know it. Couple minutes later, I see the ranch chickens working towards the "PIt" they heard the feeder and it's easy pickins
I see movement to the left and I lean forward to take a........ OH DAMN !!!!!!!... I mean darn !!!! Here comes the largest hog I've ever seen on this ranch in the 15 - 18 yrs I've been doing damage control for them !!

He is big and tall and thick from top to bottom and SOLID !!! #180 easy !!
Oh did this kick my breathing into high gear !! Now he needs to get from the hillside to the "Pit" and he needs to go across a open area and when he does.....
I'll have no place to hide, the burlap is all gone from this side of the condo! All I can do is lean back and hold my bow... Just as he gets to the open area,
He slams to a halt and looks at the new things in the condo that wasn't there yesterday !! I don't care what ya say about hogs, they are not dumb !! they are smarter than some dogs and a couple of people I know !!

Seeing nothing really dangerous, he continues to walk along side the "Pit" picking up kernels as he walks. I ease back to a sitting position, and peak around the tree in front blocking and giving me cover.
He don't have a clue I'm here, I see my lane, he needs 4 more steps so he will at least be broadside to me, I have The all mighty SNUFFERS so I know they will do the job, as long as I do mine !!

He rocks back and forth picking here and there, with not a care in the world, just 3 more steps, the rebar that holds the feeder is dead center of the vitals, ok, 2 more steps,
the tree next to the "Pit" is now dead center of the vitals, I know, if I was trying to hit the knot on the tree I'd miss and hit the vitals dead center, but I'm wanting the other way..... ok another....... step.....
The second feeder leg is now in the way, I need one more good step for him to to be right in the .......What the heck is that?... I hear wood falling, the wind has changed direction from what it normally is...
and it sounds like a 2 x 4 is falling through the limbs.. I'm looking.... he's looking..... we both I know are wondering.... whats going on?

it hits the ground with a loud thump.... Wooof, he isn't having any part of it....
He does the trot towards the hill... I'll.. Oppps.... nooo.. grunt, Ok, the remote ! it's in the front pocket..quick... stand up ! dig man dig.. I get the remote and fumble to raise the cover , once.. twice... third time
the feeder springs to life. I turn to look up the hill and see if I can see him.. There he is. he's stopped and looking back... come on big boy.. yeah it's corn... come on back !!!

After a 20 seconds or so he decides..... he don't like what has happened !! and melts into the brush as silently as he came.... Oh man !!! That was rough, but that's 2 and you know what they say, 3rd time is charm !!

I sat down for about 20 minutes, well, this isn't doing it for me, so I stood up to stretch my legs and I hear noise in the brush.. probably the ranch chickens trying to sneak back in.
I look out the back of the condo and see a big jet black hog running 90 Mph heading straight for me? What the???????? I mean this hog is packin the mail and he don't care where he comes through !

In fact, he runs between the tree and the feeder passing by at about 40 mph (yeah he slowed down LOL) then up the hill on the right side and never slows down, like something is chasing him?

30 seconds later I hear another something coming from the same area.. what the... it's moving fast too, oh there it is.. coming this way and ...Oh dang it !! it's a Hog dog !!! Son of a .......
He has on a kevlar collar, and a radio transmitter too.... I can see the red blinking light as he's coming towards me...There is no dog hunting or any other hunting on this ranch, with out the Ranch manager asking Rick and I if it's ok, and we have have only given the ranch owners son permission to walk the outer horse trail for hogs unsupervised. That's it! Ok, the dog is a Pit Bull and he is dead on the the same trail as the hog, he'll pass right by the same way too.

I turn with my back to the dog and come to full draw, as the dog passes the tree I WHISTLE REAL LOUD and the dog stops, I settle the pin dead center on the dogs chest, the next thing surprises me too...I yelled Lay Down !!!
and the dog lays down. I let down and look at the dog. he is panting heavily and I start to climb down, just as I'm half way down the ladder he gets up and walks to the "Pit" and lays down in the soupy water to cool off.
I walk over and slowly approach him he's a well trained dog. I command "come" he gets up and walks to me, I take ahold of the collar and walk around the side of the "Pit" to get a piece of the rope used to raise the feeder so I can make a leash. finally I get a length of rope and tie the dog, he's just sitting there. so I grab my bow and start to walk out to the truck. I call rick and he says hold on I'm talking to a couple of dog guys up on the road up top.
I yelled in the phone I HAVE THEIR DOG! he asks me to repeat it, I said I got their dog here at the "Pit" he was chasing a hog. He told me the description and I said yep matches to a T.

So I head out to the main area of the ranch, rick tells the guy he needs to pick the dog up from the ranch manager. when he arrives, she informs him he's lucky because if the dog had caused a horse to throw a rider he'd be responsible for the injuries. Then she told him about the Poaching on the ranch, and the dangers, then she said and the most important thing is the dog didn't bit Mark !

He kinda smiled and she said better not smile, if Mark would of got bit , #1 your dog would be dead, #2 He would of sued you, took your house,savings and be the owner of your life, #3 because no church has been able to remove
the deep seated hatred he has for dog poachers. He'd make your life one miserable place on earth. I wanted to laugh, but she was on a roll and I wasn't about to mess that up.

Well, I now know, there is one huge wall hanger of a hog on the ranch, #2, there are a couple nice "Other hogs there too" and #3 I have couple more days to see if I can have a rematch with el huge O hog !!
But I look at it this way, I got to see the largest hog I've seen on the ranch to date. He is big !! I just hope he sticks around.

Next time !!
Old 05-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
miket

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 05-02-2013
 @ 09:41 AM 

A heck of an outing! Good luck on the big pig!
miket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:51 PM   #3
Widowmaker

Last Activity: 12-06-2016
 @ 06:19 PM 

Good write up,thanks for sharing!
Old 09-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
bowhuntertex
Region 78 Rep

LSBA Region: 78
Send a message via Yahoo to bowhuntertex
Last Activity: 05-23-2017
 @ 06:48 AM 

Enjoyed reading your write up........It is worthy of a magizine article.........

Texas Bowhunting & Bowfishing Records Scorer
bowhuntertex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 03:28 PM   #5
Hot4huntin
LSBA Past President

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 07-29-2019
 @ 02:25 PM 

Very cool story!!! Thanks for sharing!! Good luck!

Mrs. Bobby Kana and Ty and Hunter's Mom =)

Support Bowhunting~Join LSBA!

LSBA~Your Membership is Your Voice
Hot4huntin is offline   Reply With Quote