Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > Hunting Around the World
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2011, 01:02 AM   #1
JarrettBer

@ 06:00 PM 
Default Working on Set Up for Africa

I'm switching to a Parker Contender bow and am in the process of setting it up now. I will be shooting 50-53 pounds. My dilemma is my arrows. I need more weight. I am thinking about switching to Full Metal Jackets or Beaman Max 4s with a 100 grn. cut on contact two blade broadhead. That should give me about a 400 grn arrow. I'm interested in knowing what everyone's experience is with these two arrows, good & bad, and any suggestions on broadheads. I am leaning strongly towards German Kinetic BHs. Any suggestions and thoughts are appreciated.

It kinds bites having to go to a new setup. Bobby is like going with the same old same as always, which is easier to do if you are shooting a much high weight. I like familiarity with my equipment, so I'm anxious to get everything set up so I can start practicing.

Also, SHOT PLACEMENT. I've heard and read that African game's vitals are more forward than N.A. Big Game Animals. Is this accurate??

Also, if anyone has any experience hunting in Africa with light weight equipment, I'd really like to hear from you.

-----------------------------------------------

top brand shoes skate shoes basketball shoes running shoes

Last edited by JarrettBer; 11-09-2011 at 11:48 PM.. Reason: mistake
Old 02-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
skeeter

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 08-27-2019
 @ 11:49 PM 

Weight tubes can be purchased and inserted into your arrow shafts to add weight. As far as changing up your set up, I thought the same thing when I went. I wasn't too keen on the idea. But after seeing that my equipment did to a blue wildebeest at 37 Yds, I never changed back when I got home! I have never been concerned with speed. I want quiet. Shot placement is the key. African game kill zones are much lower and forward than NA game. Easy way to find the aiming point is draw a horizontal line thru the middle of your animal. The drop down and draw a line again. Now, come straight up the front leg. Where the front leg and the first horizontal line meet is your aiming point.

Good luck and keep us posted. Where and when are you going? Who are you hunting with?

Be sure to send pix and storiy to lsbaeditor@yahoo.com

Genesis 27:3
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote