Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > Youth in Bowhunting
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
gitusum

@ 06:00 PM 
Default Kody's first deer with a bow.

This story starts Friday, November 5th. I took my Skulz Rytera Alien X out for a few practice shots before we headed to our ranch in West Texas. Everything was perfect. The Victory arrows were hitting their mark at 20 and 30 yards. All 6 of my Magnus Broadheads were tuned to perfection. “Thanks Dad!!” I was feeling great and ready to make the long 7-hour trip. I went back to the shop and hung my bow up on the rack. I went back out to our range to put up the 3-D targets I was shooting. I walked back into the shop to find my bow lying on the floor. I picked it up and the bottom cam was severely bent. My hunt was finished before it even started. I took the bow to my dad and he looked it over and said, go get your 3-D bow. The bow I used for 3-D was set up the same as my hunting bow, Ripcord Rest, Spot Hogg sight and Doinker stabilizer. The only problem was my 3-D bow is SNOW WHITE. My dad stated that we will be hunting in a ground blind and that the color would not matter. Back out to the range we went. After a few minor adjustments, we had the white Alien X on the money.

We left Houston at 6AM Saturday morning and arrived at the ranch at 1:30pm. My Grandfather was already there and had taken a very nice 9-pointer that morning.

After all of the high fives and story telling, we decided to hunt for a heavy mature 7-pointer. We had trail cam pictures of him at one of our water/protein stations. So here we are, November 6, 2010, my first hunt of the season. I am pumped!! At 6:15pm, I hear a loud grunt to my right. My heart stopped for a moment. Then out of nowhere, the big 7-pointer is standing in front of me at 12 yards. He walks of to the water tank and gets his fill of water. I turn to my dad and he is giving me the thumbs up shoot sign.

This deer sure liked facing us. He would never give me the broadside shot I wanted. Finally what felt like a lifetime, (3 minutes) the buck turned and there was the shot I was looking for. Here is the moment of truth. The 44# Alien X came to full draw. I picked my spot behind the shoulder and touched off the Scott release. The Victory arrow hit its mark. The Magnus broadhead made a complete pass through. The 7-pointed jumped up and gave a high leg kick and bolted 15 yards behind some cedars. All was quite when all of a sudden we heard him go down right next to the blind. After waiting for 15 minutes, my dad told me to walk down the trail to the road. I climbed out of the pop up and walked around a few cedars and there was my deer laying on the same trail I was walking on. I did it!! I got my first deer with a bow, my first buck with a bow. All of the hours of practicing in the back yard have paid off. To top it all off, my dad got it all on video...

Last edited by gitusum; 11-29-2010 at 09:29 PM..
Old 11-30-2010, 08:12 AM   #2
BOBSTER
Texas Bowhunting & Bowfishing Records Chairman

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 06-03-2021
 @ 08:08 PM 

Congrats Kody on a really fine buck. Sorry to hear about you bow. Glad you had a backup even though it is white. Great story to go along with it all. Congrats to your Grandfather also on his 9 point. Bob
Old 11-30-2010, 09:06 AM   #3
axisbuck24

Last Activity: 07-02-2012
 @ 10:51 PM 

Great write up and Congrats! If you would like to submot your story to the LSBA magazine for consideration, send it to me via email at axisbuck24@aol.com.

I love those Victory arrows...they are tuff and fly great. Glad you had a backup bow. Congrats to your Grandfather as well.
axisbuck24 is offline   Reply With Quote