Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-14-2008, 01:17 PM   #1
txcookie

Last Activity: 12-30-2011
 @ 01:32 AM 
Default How do yall feel about Canned Hunts?

I only ask as I went on one not too long ago! 80 acres Low fence but the Hogs could not get out! They could run and hide and getting one specific pig out of the whole place was near impossible. The hunt was easy but VERY fun and definatly somthing I would do again! I am not sure if 80 acres would constitue the word canned or not? No fighting I was wanting opinions not Judgement
txcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:02 PM   #2
Ledjadji Safaris

LSBA Region: LP
Send a message via MSN to Ledjadji Safaris
Last Activity: 04-18-2013
 @ 01:34 AM 

80 acres is a fair size that is if the pigs can get out and it depends on the amount of them inside. We have a bunch of poeple doing illegal canned hunts here in Africa which i think isn't ethical, this canned hunting ranges from drugged animals to animals in small inclosures(not drugged). I think the hunt should be fair and thats why its called hunting not shooting.My opinion
Ledjadji Safaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:10 PM   #3
LostHawg

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 07-30-2018
 @ 05:37 AM 

For me, it depends on the animal and the size of the "can". I don't see any problem at all with feral hogs or exotics. They're livestock and not native game. You could shoot them out of a bucket as far as I'm concerned. That's your decision.

I do feel that it is better for the preservation of our hunting heritage to be more nostalgic regarding native wildlife however.

Old coot in training
LostHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 03:55 PM   #4
txcookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostHawg View Post
For me, it depends on the animal and the size of the "can". I don't see any problem at all with feral hogs or exotics. They're livestock and not native game. You could shoot them out of a bucket as far as I'm concerned. That's your decision.

I do feel that it is better for the preservation of our hunting heritage to be more nostalgic regarding native wildlife however.

I agree the can WAS 80 ACRES and there were a bunch of hogs in this place. They were all caught and brought in! Funny thing was outside the fence alot of hogs were trying to get in to breed and what not! I wouldnt have went There for Deer !!!!
Old 05-14-2008, 03:58 PM   #5
Ronny
LSBA Region 75 Rep/Hunt Committee

LSBA Region: 75
Last Activity: 06-09-2016
 @ 05:36 AM 

Shoot all the PIGS you can there taking over the world
Old 05-14-2008, 04:48 PM   #6
2050z
Banquet Co-Chairperson

Last Activity: 05-30-2014
 @ 07:18 PM 

I have no problem going to the 80 acre meat hunt. I will probably take my oldest child to get a pig.
And God Bless

Sticks N'Limbs Owner
Carson Optics Pro Staff
Bear Archery Pro Staff
2050z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:10 PM   #7
txhunter
Administrator

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 09-12-2016
 @ 08:05 PM 

I will hunt any size high fence pig ranch. That is for fun and for meat. It is also great for the kids to learn how to hunt.

But for anything else, it has to be a much larger fenced area.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:10 PM   #8
txcookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhunter View Post
I will hunt any size high fence pig ranch. That is for fun and for meat. It is also great for the kids to learn how to hunt.

But for anything else, it has to be a much larger fenced area.

Ok thats how I fell nice to know I am not alone!
Old 05-14-2008, 10:04 PM   #9
Chunky

Last Activity: 11-19-2013
 @ 08:41 PM 

My defination of a canned hunt is ...a hunt where the animal does not have a fair chance to get away.

I don't think you can put a size limit on the place as terrain and circumstances are so different. I have been places (deep swamps and super thick S. Texas brush) where it would be hard to kill an animal in 20 acres. I have also been to very large places where there was no cover and no chance of escape.

Canned hunt is like an ethical shot, a hard concept to pin down...but I know it when I see it.

Buff's so deadly...filming him killed my camera!
Chunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:36 PM   #10
Target-panic

Last Activity: 08-14-2017
 @ 10:06 AM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcookie View Post
Ok thats how I fell nice to know I am not alone!

Nope, you are not alone. I have been on many hunts, canned and otherwise. The problem is that you are in the gray area of opinion and judgment of others. What is canned to one is not to another and so on.

Most of the canned hunts that I have been on, were before I knew to ask the right questions for me to be comfortable in the chase. All of which, I will never go back to and when asked, I will previde the facts as I know them and one can decide if it is for them or not.

There are some that dis-like High Fence in any form and others that love it. Each to his own, I do not worry what others might think. I do what I am comfortable doing. If other don't like it, I guess we won't be hunting together this trip.

That's my 2 cent.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:57 PM   #11
BOBSTER
Texas Bowhunting & Bowfishing Records Chairman

Last Activity: 06-03-2021
 @ 08:08 PM 

High fence, I loved the high fence when we were hunting in the hill country. We were hunting a 2400 acre pasture. I killed deer that were of mature age (4.5- 7.5yrs) with out ever seeing them until I killed them. Then there were the few that I saw a year or so earlier and then was able to kill them or miss them and kill them another year or miss again. Now I am hunting low fence down in S. Tx. We try to manage the deer, and so we watch them head to the neighbors fence to hear the gunshot and never see the deer again. There are two many ranchettes in TX that kill more deer on 5 to 20 acres than most 2400 acre ranches kill. They shoot everything that walks across their property because they know the deer do not stay there, and are only passing through. I know this because I have worked some of those areas of the state. I am not saying that everyone does this, but some do. I know this is a big topic and there is a lot to debate on the subject, but I have killed my share of deer over the years, and always look to improve on what I have. It is not always the case because it took me 4 years to finally kill another buck, and it is not bigger than most of the others I have taken, but it was a mature deer. Those that say they hunt for meat, and cannot eat the antlers, will not pass on the 150 class buck to harvest the spike. I am not trying to start something just stating how I feel. Bob
Old 05-16-2008, 07:34 AM   #12
LostHawg

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 07-30-2018
 @ 05:37 AM 

Bob, last I checked, a 150 class buck has backstraps, tenderloins, hams and rib meat...

Old coot in training
LostHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:20 AM   #13
nothinbutwelves

Last Activity: 11-08-2017
 @ 11:54 AM 

can hunt is a misnomer you are hunting it doesnt matter where you are it matters that you have bought your lic,and are hunting an animal is the same they all fall under game a replentishable resource that brings joy to us all to chase unless you have 15 people you wont walk out on 80 acre's and kill that trophy buck that is supposed to be there.you still have to hunt him scent and camo are needed we need to unite with ranches that are willing to allow us to hunt small or large we need to be careful with our language in discussion of this and stay united animal rights people are everywhere.so a game animal is a pig,exotic,or whitetail deer they all deserve our respect as well as our best effort to harvest and use the protien to the best of our ability i prefer sausage myself. l.o.l.good hunting to all and keep em in the 12 ring.
nothinbutwelves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:46 AM   #14
Bweger

Last Activity: 11-07-2011
 @ 10:25 AM 

I have hunted on low fenced ranches that ranged from 340 to over 100,00 acres and I have hunted high fenced places that ranged from 100 to 2400 acres. I have taken many deer on the low fenced ranches but I have not been able to get that acomplished in a high fence yet. I have a cousin that has 2400 acres high fenced and I have been hunting there each year for the past 8 or 9 years. I have been hunting Black Buck and whitetail and as of yet the only thing I have taken on that ranch is hogs.

Prostaff-Team MOFEA
Bweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:14 AM   #15
fabiomerrill

@ 06:00 PM 
Default Fair Chase is Better

I have been on a few "canned" hunts, do not much care for them, and generally have regretted the time wasted.

The last one was a few years ago on a 320 acre property advertised as Texas Wild Hog Hunt. (I wanted to get a bowhunt in before going to New England on an unbaited fall black bear hunt.) The Wild Hog Hunt owner schedules about 16 people on the property at a time, some with bows, but most with rifles. Almost all of the hogs are purchased and released on the property for the hunters, although a few are captured from adjacent properties as a result of traps set along the fence line where the fence has been cut to allow the hogs access to the traps. Twice a day, there are hog drives where groups of three or four hunters are loosed on various parts of the property and then are supposed to walk in a clockwise fashion around the property. Needless to say, once hogs are spotted, the hunters forget about walking in just one direction and start chasing the hogs in whatever direction the hogs are heading. I am surpised that, so far, I have not read about a Cheney type accident having occurred on the property. There are also night hunts, but the hogs have been spotlighted with red or green light so often that they immediately bolt at the first sign of light. After 24 hours, I decided that I had experienced all I needed of this type of hunt. Not only was it dangerous to try to bowhunt on the property due to the number of rifle hunters wandering around, but I did not find any satisfaction in the experience.

Generally, I try to limit my hunts to fair chase which I find much more satisfying, even though I very well may not harvest an animal. Spotting an animal (which will hightail it to the next county if it winds or spots you), stalking it for several or more hours, and getting close enough for a bowshot is an incredibly rewarding and satisfying experience that one just cannot get on a canned hunt.