Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > Hunting Stories
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2017, 08:14 AM   #1
HuntingPreacher

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 03-26-2017
 @ 08:14 AM 
Default Legendary Bow kill!

This story is about a hunt I had in Kansas written one week after the hunt in November of 2015.

This past week I had the rare opportunity to take off for a few days and make an out of state deer hunting trip in Kansas. I would be making the trip with my youngest son Noah while my oldest stayed at home to help run the kennel. After hearing story after story and watching multiple hunting shows I was convinced that Kansas was going to be a dream come true. To say that I got off to a great start would be untrue. When I got in the truck to leave it barely started. Not a good sign for a long trip. After about 30 minutes at our local NAPA store we were back on the road. It was 9:30 am. After a few fill ups, snack breaks, and restroom stops it was 1 am the next day and we were checked into our Kansas motel. The place looked as I imagined it did in 1970 but it was very clean and the people were nice. That along with a great nightly rate that we would be splitting with my friends Bobby and Scooter put a smile on my face as I drifted off to sleep. Four short hours later and bobby and scooter are up and about ready for their first hunt in their previously hung stands. Noah and I had no stands hung. In fact we had only seen the property once in the spring shortly after the farmer had granted us permission. By 630 or so Noah and I rolled out of bed to hang stands. Shortly after mid day we managed to hang the last of three stands and I was exhausted. As tired as we were we still managed to get in an evening sit. I saw a single buck in the distance before dark while Noah only saw turkeys. The next morning found us out bright and early seeing 5 deer between us. I held high hopes. The next few hunts were horrible. I saw nothing and Noah saw the same. My buddies were having more activity on their farm and I was getting negative. I never dreamed I would come to Kansas and see nothing. What a waste I thought. I should have went fishing instead. I couldn't believe I was wasting my precious vacation on this. Not to mention my aching back was getting worse with every hour I hunted. The next day was slow but Noah managed to fill his antlerless tag before dark and that made everything worth it. He had killed his first deer ever and done it with a bow! I couldn't be more proud. A chip off the old block! The next morning Noah decided to sleep in but I was committed to giving Kansas 100%. It was the rut and anything could happen...... But nothing did. I saw very few deer over the next days with none giving me a shot. I was even more down. My fellow RutBusters told me to stick it out because I was in the best place in the country to shoot a big whitetail and luck could change in a second. To make matters worse the weather was not cooperating. My Wednesday evening sit was 20 ft up a tree in 30 plus mph winds. One word describes this ... scary! As a sat there and I do mean sat there because I was to scared to stand, I began to thing about things. I thought maybe I should shoot a doe or the first decent buck I saw and put Kansas in my rear view mirror. This is when I believe The Lord spoke to me. Wait for something Legendary! Be a legend! I felt a calmness and my attitude changed. I wasn't going to shoot a doe. I had meat in the freezer already. I had already killed plenty of average bucks in the past. I was waiting for a legend!
Back at the motel we were discussing our trip when I told bobby I wouldn't be coming back. The Texas hill country had stolen my heart and it was less than half the drive. I like to see deer on every sit and I usually do in the hill country. I knew the deer were larger in Kansas but I was bored to tears seeing nothing. I was glad I gave Kansas a shot but it wasn't as much fun as I hoped. I was tired and my back hurt. The next morning I decided to hunt a spot I had previously gotten blanked on but it had my most comfortable stand so I was going there. The Millenium tree stand is a dream! Light weight, easier to hang, and lazy boy recliner type comfort! If I was going to wait for a legend or possibly not even draw my bow back at least I would be comfortable. Comfortable in the stand well before daylight I had a good feeling and a much needed positive attitude. Today could be the day. A few minutes after day light I saw a deer eye, a deer nose, and a piece of horn. I readied myself for the shot but he never came. I heard him raking the bushes but saw nothing. Where did he go? How could he leave? Surely I would have seen him? Maybe he layed down 15 yards away under a bush? An hour goes by and I figure once again another deer vanished into thin air. I saw a deer cross a wheat field 400 yds away. Then no action. I'll sit till 10 or maybe 10:30. My stand is comfortable and I have to fight to stay awake. I'm physically, emotionally, and mentally drained. As I think about getting down there is a ruckus to my right. A doe is being chased by a monster buck right to my stand at 15 or 20 yards when I first see them. I quickly jump to my feet and grab my bow. My release is in my pocket still! I frantically clip it on and get ready for the shot..... My buck is getting away. As he leaves chasing the doe he spooks the monster who has been laying 20 yards away all morning. The big buck angles up the buff to my left and gives me an extreme quartering away shot. I put the pin in place and let the viper trick tipped Beeman arrow fly! It hit its mark perfectly. The bruiser walked about 20 yards and began to stumble. I watched as he fell to the ground! It had happened! I finally killed a giant! My experience as a Bowhunter tells me to wait at least 30 minutes on a perfect shot before climbing out of my stand. I tried but I don't think I made the 30min mark. After all I saw him go down. Once I climbed to the ground and laid my eyes on the beast I was amazed. No ground shrinkage! He grew bigger with every glance. I was elated. I sounded like the guys on the hunting dhows that my wife makes fun of for getting overly excited in whispering tones. Then it hit me and I began to chuckle out loud as I gave thanks to my maker he was legendary! After help loading the legendary giant we took lots of pics and shared high fives. Noah shared one of my best hunts ever with me and he was now officially hooked. I sent bobby a picture. He was happy for me and asked if I changed my mind about coming back to Kansas. I told him I'm definitely not coming back! He asked why? I said I've already shot a 200 plus inch legend and my hunt was legendary how could I top that?

As a side note within a few weeks I changed my mind because I could not get Kansas out of my head so I now apply for a tag every year!
HuntingPreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:06 AM   #2
BOBSTER
Texas Bowhunting & Bowfishing Records Chairman

Last Activity: 06-03-2021
 @ 08:08 PM 

Great story and congrats on the monster. Need to share a pic of the beast.

Bob
Old 02-15-2017, 11:08 PM   #3
HuntingPreacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBSTER View Post

Bob
Can't figure out how. Says my file is too big.
Old 02-16-2017, 07:06 AM   #4
BOBSTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntingPreacher View Post
Can't figure out how. Says my file is too big.
You need to resize your pic. to somewhere in the 400X400 range. It will take a little bigger size, but not much bigger.
Bob
Old 02-16-2017, 08:35 AM   #5
HuntingPreacher

Got it! Here is a picture with me and my son Noah who was on the hunt with me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1339.JPG (65.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 02-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #6
Sean

Last Activity: 06-27-2018
 @ 02:05 PM 

Awesome deer Brian, congrats.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:22 PM   #7
HuntingPreacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Awesome deer Brian, congrats.
Thanks! I'm sure he's the biggest I'll ever kill!
Old 02-17-2017, 11:45 PM   #8
LostHawg

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 07-30-2018
 @ 05:37 AM 

He sure is a beast

Old coot in training
LostHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:03 AM   #9
HogDog

Last Activity: 03-06-2019
 @ 03:40 PM 

Nice one for sure. Nice write up also.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:31 PM   #10
BOBSTER

That sure is a nice deer. Congrats again
Old 03-24-2017, 05:59 PM   #11
Jmhtrad16

LSBA Region: 79
Last Activity: 03-24-2017
 @ 06:06 PM 

Wow! Incredible story and deer!
Jmhtrad16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 04:14 AM   #12
Williemae

Last Activity: 06-27-2019
 @ 01:58 AM 

Old 06-04-2018, 01:54 AM   #13
Doliork

Last Activity: 06-04-2018
 @ 01:54 AM 

devoted a lifetime to the promotion of archery, and is still considered the greatest archer/hunter of all time. Howard Hill Archery is owned and operated by archers and personal friends of Howard's with whom the company was started back in the 1950's.

Here are some of the events that have, over the past 80 years, made a lasting impression on the people throughout the world concerning Howard Hill and archery....
https://www.setonlinealarm.com/
Doliork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 09:07 AM   #14
rkb41

LSBA Region: 01
Last Activity: 05-04-2020
 @ 09:28 AM 

Amazing story, Thank you for sharing, any video or pic if you have can share with us.
rkb41 is offline   Reply With Quote