Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-14-2006, 08:43 PM   #1
Beleg

LSBA Region: 75
Last Activity: 09-12-2017
 @ 08:41 PM 
Default LSBA Archery Range at Girl Scout Outdoor Fiesta

Last Saturday the LSBA set up an Archery Range for the Girl Scouts at Martin Creek Lake State Park south of Longview. The event was called Tejas Outdoor Fiesta and was put on by Texas Parks and Wildlife Department and the Girl Scouts of Tejas Council. 70 Girl Scouts from Longview, Carthage and the surrounding area came together to experience outdoor fun and activities. Activities included crafts, fishing, hiking, outdoor cooking and archery. Most of the girls had never shot a bow and really enjoyed archery.

We had very short notice about the archery range and I was unable to recruit anyone to help me with this event. No problem, state park employees and parents of the Girl Scouts jumped right in and helped me set up the range. At the end of the day they helped me tear it down and pack up. I met some really great people and hope to visit Martin Creek Lake State Park again in the near future.

I had a great time and look forward to working with the Girl Scouts of Tejas Council on future outdoor events. What we really need is one of our bowhunting ladies to help. I know the Girl Scouts would be thrilled to meet a women bowhunter.

The range. Our new 3D targets and Genesis bows.

That's the lake in the background, not a river. The lake was so low that we set up the archery range on ground that is normally under water. Can you see the bouys high and dry in the background?

Lunch time at the pavilion.

After lunch a Buffalo Soldier showed up to give the girls a history lesson.

The Buffalo Soldier goes off into the sunset...errr woods.

More shooting. The girls liked shooting the 3D targets.

The Park Manager at Martin Creek Lake State Park is an avid bowhunter and was very interested in holding a Bowhunter Education class at the park and felt they could put together 20 to 30 students. The Bowhunter Ed instructor group I work with has been looking for a venue to hold a Bowhunter Ed class in East Texas and this could grow into increased exposure for bowhunting and the LSBA in far East Texas.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:20 PM   #2
tinman

LSBA Region: 75
Last Activity: 10-11-2011
 @ 10:21 PM 

Cool deal, Bob. I ended up working Saturday and couldn't make it (again). Wish we'd gotten more notice on this one, I know you needed the help.

Thanks for all you do to present archery to the youth of Texas.

...dejavu?
"Today there is no need to battle with the beasts of prey and little necessity to kill wild animals for food; but still the instinct persists. The love of the chase still thrills us and all the misty past echoes with the hunters call."

Saxton Pope
tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 07:09 AM   #3
bowjunkie

Last Activity: 02-26-2007
 @ 11:14 AM 

Looks like an awesome time was had by all!

At least you got more pics then I have:-) Have got to learn to TAKE pics.

Helping the scouts is a great way to expose youth to archery. Thanks for working with them Bob. As a Committee Member and now the new Den Leader of Gavins den, it is appreciated and I know the kids (boys and girls) have a blast with the bows.

As Tinmam said
"Thanks for all you do Bob"!! I'll proudly cast my vote for you for President again.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:19 PM   #4
DoubleJ

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 06-16-2014
 @ 08:09 AM 

Great job Bob! Sorry you had to do it by yourself. Been there, done that. Glad to see the Girl Scouts are taking an active interest in archery. I've been requested to hold a Bowhunter Ed class at my farm in Columbus by one of the local Girl Scout troops. It's going to be January 27 & 28. I already have 6 kids and 6 adults signed up for the class. The great thing is most of these folks are not bow hunters and some of the adult women want to complete the instructor training. The are just interested in our wildlife management practices in our WMA. I've asked Dena to help with the class if she can manage to fill her tags by then. Hopefully get some good exposure for LSBA and the Urban bow hunting group.

Jack Jetton

LSBA Life Member
TBoT Life Member
TBA Member
P & Y Associate Member
NRA Benefactor Life Member
TSRA Endowment Life Member
IBEP Master Instructor
DoubleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:24 PM   #5
biggen
LSBA Hall of Fame/Hunt Committee

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 04-04-2018
 @ 07:54 PM 

Once again Bob great work! And once again Bob's camera struck again, not sure what that Buffalo Soldier was doing in the --err woods! :shock:
biggen is offline   Reply With Quote