Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2017, 12:39 PM   #1
HogDog

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 03-06-2019
 @ 03:40 PM 
Default Five Days Left!

I have never been a big turkey hunter. I have killed one with a long gun and one with a bow. I have never tried calling or using a decoy. Well all of that changed after going on the "Grunts N Gobbles" hunt this year. I came home, went out to the lease to check my cameras and bang, turkeys. You see, we had a gentleman give us a turkey calling seminar and were also given some turkey calls of our own while at the hunt in Sabinal. So I'm set, right? Yea maybe. I heard so many stories about hunting turkeys at this hunt that I just have to try it. OK, Ive killed one with my bow, even had my daughter video it. I can do this again. I set up a pop up at the feeder, climb in and wait.....and wait... hear a gobble in the distance, he is coming right, so I wait and I wait.....nothing.. So I call, sounds kinda like a sick hen.....maybe. So I put call back in my pocket. Next day, here we go again. Better luck, two hens and a jake show up. Ah perfect, ole Mr Gobbler wont be able to resist. Now, not one but four gobblers come out in full strut, nothing to this I say. Then the hens leave the feeder and go to the gobblers. Didn't think this was how it was suppose to work. Three more days, same story each day. So now its off to Academy to get me a decoy. We are now at Sunday evening, Louise is set up and I'm all settled ready for her to turn on the charm. There is a gentle breeze out of the north and she is doing quiet the little jig. Should be irresistible! Big bellied doe shows up for an evening meal but is not impressed by Louise. She snorts and stomps but Louise wont leave so she does. Not the reaction I wanted. Thirty minutes later three coyotes show up, mmmm this might get interesting. I cluck a few times and one starts my way but stops about 60 yard out. A couple more light clucks and the far two leave out, 30 seconds later so does the one that is now 50 yards out. Fifteen minutes later 6 hens come in. Good! Right? Five minutes later I hear a gobble, look to my right and there are the 4 bachelors. Great, the hens all take off. None of them paid Louise any attention. So now the party is on 80 yards out. So I have to try to call again. If just one of them will see Louise it will be over. They stretch their necks and look but that's it. Where is the turkey hunting guru when I need him?
So five days left to get one. Going out today to put up a pop up where the gobblers have been entering the woods. Will brush it in best I can. Wont be able to hunt it til tomorrow. Taking grandkids dewberry picking today so MeeMee can bake us another cobbler. Not gobbler but Cobbler. I'll be back!
Old 04-25-2017, 08:22 PM   #2
BOBSTER
Texas Bowhunting & Bowfishing Records Chairman

Last Activity: 06-03-2021
 @ 08:08 PM 

Funny story, Good Luck on the gobblers and share some of the cobbler.

Bob
Old 04-26-2017, 07:14 AM   #3
HogDog

Ok, went out yesterday made some changes to my set up and added another. Grandkids started hollering about berries so off we went. Picked about a gallon and they were ready to do something else so we sit down in the middle of road and played in the dirt. Finally took them back to their mother. I'm sure the grandson had a belly ache, I couldn't keep him out of the dew berries. We'll see what happens this evening.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:59 PM   #4
HogDog

Well five days came and went with no gobbler hitting the ground. Did have a very interesting ordeal with a hen that did not like Louise(decoy). Have a video but can't load because its to long. Tried to edit but not getting it done. She never actually attacked but did get 2 or 3 pecks to the back in. Lots of bluffing. I had never seen a hen fan out like she was doing. And I must admit I did miss one at 40 yrds. I was shooting out of my rifle blind and it was little tight. Right over his back. Guess we will take lessons learned and try again next year. Maybe I'll even try to get up early and hunt turkeys on the Grunts and Gobbles hunt next year.
Old 05-02-2017, 07:49 AM   #5
BOBSTER
Texas Bowhunting & Bowfishing Records Chairman

Last Activity: 06-03-2021
 @ 08:08 PM 

I know the feeling and say the same thing also. There is always next year.
Old 05-08-2017, 02:54 PM   #6
Texas5o

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 06-21-2017
 @ 01:09 PM 

That was a good, fun story. I tried those calls they gave us too and I'm not sure exactly what it sounded like, but it really didn't sound like any turkey I've ever heard. I've never been any good with the mouth calls though.