Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > Hunting Stories
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
Target-panic

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 08-14-2017
 @ 10:06 AM 
Default My Minnesota Buck - Oct 27, 2009 - 144 5/8 gross P&Y

A few months ago my hunting buddy (JT) retired from a long career and began to supplement his retirement by working at the Port of Freeport, TX. During this work, he met a truck driver from Rochester, Minnesota. They found that they had hunting in common and began to talk about hunting big Northern Whitetail. The conversation made it's way to this truck driver inviting him up to rochester to hunt his dad's farm. It was not long after that, JT gave me a call and the plans to hunt Minnesota Whitetails. After a few phone conversations with the family, the dates were set and we purchased our licenses on-line.

Fast forward to Oct 23, 4 AM. JT arrived in my driveway and we began our trek north. A short 22 hours and one long audio book later, we arrive in Rochester. We were greeted by 3 - 4 inches of snow, not something a Southeast Texan is used too. Geared down at a Comfort Inn near the airport for a short 6 hour nap. We were up, out and relocated to a Value Place Hotel ($199.00 a week, Sweeeeet).

Unpacked and settled in. We went in search of the family farm we were to hunt. We logged in to Mapquest and got a fix on the area. After not finding a name or number on a mailbox, we stopped at a farm, where 2 fine fellows were unloading a tractor from a trailer. The conversation went something like this. I said "Good Morning, we are looking for farm" They said "Oh, you must be the guys from Texas, you are welcome to hunt our farm too. We own the property from that tree line on the other side of that corn field to the other end of that soybean field, thru that creek bottom." JTand I look at each other and start grinning. We found the original farm, the newly acquired one and began a full 2 day scouting plan.

We found that the corn and soybeans in the area had not been harvested. This made finding any deer movement difficult, as the deer did not have to move for eat of drink. We were also just a bit early for a great deal of rutting activity. JT found his spot right away, placed his tree stand and was ready to set the stand that evening. I chose to set just to the back of the farm house and use my spotting scope and binoculars to find a likely hot spot. I didn't see any movement from my vantage point. However, I did decide on a couple of places to do some closer inspection. Sunday Morning, I strapped on my tree stand and headed for the standing corn and tree line interface. I found some great game trails, but not any great trees. I hung my stand in the best tree that I could find, which left me only about 6 feet off the ground, but with great cover.

We set for the next day and half with no activity at all. The weather was Mid-40's to Mid-50's, snow melted and the wind about 10 - 15 mph. I got down early Monday evening to find a better game trail or movement in the corn and tree line interface. Decided to set my stand one more morning, after reading a on-line devotional covering patience via my Blackberry. Technology, ain't it great.

The next morning was found to be in the low 30's and light winds 5 - 10 mph. As I crunched thru the alfalfa field covered in frost to my stand in the short little tree, I began to get a renewed hope of deer movement with this crisp weather. I was not to be dissappointed. Setting in my tree stand thanking God for such a beautiful morning. I was startled by a very large bodied deer that materialized at about 80 yards in the alfalfa field right in front of me. He must have made his way all the way across the hay field behind the limb in front of me. He was slowly and cautiously making his way toward the tree line to my left, further out of range. It was not daylight enough to make out the quality of his rack, but just that the had one. I gave him a soft grunt on my call. He stopped looked and then continued, I grunt at him again. He was not gonna have any part of that, tucked his tail and left at full speed all the way back across of the alfalfa field.

I was beating myself up for screwing up the only chance that I had remotely had been given. but quickly refocus on the great day. About an hour later and after zero activity to be seen. I began a grunt and rattle sequence, ready myself for a response. Looking left, looking right for 10 - 15 minutes, nothing. I readjusted my seat, hung my bow, rattle bag and put my hand in my pockets to warm up. This is when I notice steam rising from the nostrils of a big northern doe, she had just rounded a wooded drainage about 100 yards to my left and 20 yards into the alfalfa field. I reached for my bow, shifted to the front of my seat and tried to be prepared for any of my shooting lanes. My shooting lanes were 45 deg to my left, from directly in front of me to about 90 deg to my right and over my left shoulder at 45 deg to my stand. She was making her way parallel to the tree line and was to pass 20 yards in front of me. This is when I noticed that she sure was breathing preety hard for just walking. I was to find ot very quickly why. My buck was rounding this wooded drainage at this point with a small 6 point in tow. They both were hot on her heels. She had made her way to about 30 yard from my tree. She was going to bring him right into my lap. This is when she turn 90 degrees and straight to the treeline. Once she made it to the treeline , she turned and walked on a diagonal thru my shooting lane over my left shoulder at 16 yards. The bucks were halfway to me at this point. My heart was pounding out of my chest, but I was focused on the buck and his every move. He followed her every step. He made it to treeline as she did. I came to full draw, he sensed that something was not right and stopped a step or two from my last chance shooting lane. He quickly refocused on her and made the stepps to put him in the line of fire. I gave him the standard mouth grunt to stop him, settled my pin on his off side shoulder and touched my release. My arrow disappeared as fast as he did. I just thought my heart was beating before.

Passing the time before taking up the bloodtrailing, I posted to Facebook my status. Texted a few of my hunting buddies for a few prayer for a quick recovery. Now with the world aware of the blood letting. I got down and made my way to the spot of the shot. This is the first time that I ever had a blood trail to the spot that my arrow landed. Arrow covered in blood and splatter from the exit everywhere, I thought this was going to be quick. only to find that 3 yards later, the trail disappeared. I began to have a sick feeling i th epit of my stomach and started running the shot thru my mind over and over. I knew that it was a excellent hit and the arrow was covered. I just did not understand the trail ending. To my relief, a short but thorough 15 yards more, the frosty fawna was painted a beautiful shade of red on both sides of his intended escape route.

I am a happy man to say the least, thanks for checking out my story. It was a great trip. The rest of the trip was marred by rain and ole JT did not connect this time. We will try to make it back up next year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Russell Davis - Minnesota Oct09.JPG (153.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg RD-JT Minnesota Oct09 with HR-100.JPG (84.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg Minnesota Buck Loaded.jpg (108.6 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by Target-panic; 11-07-2009 at 08:26 PM..
Target-panic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 08:56 AM   #2
BOBSTER
Texas Bowhunting & Bowfishing Records Chairman

Last Activity: 06-03-2021
 @ 08:08 PM 

Congrats on a nice heavy horn WT. That always makes a long trip worthwhile. Bob
Old 11-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
Ronny
LSBA Region 75 Rep/Hunt Committee

LSBA Region: 75
Last Activity: 06-09-2016
 @ 05:36 AM 

Thats a great story and a great BUCK, congrats.
Old 11-11-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
Target-panic

Last Activity: 08-14-2017
 @ 10:06 AM 

Round 2, Just booked plane tickets for JT and I to hit Western Wisconsin for a Dec 1 - 6 whitetail hunt. We will about 45 minutes from where I took my Minnesota Buck and he still has a buck tag and we both have a doe tag. So if it is too slow in Wisconsin, Minnesota here we come again.
Stay tuned.................I hope the weather plays nice
Old 11-11-2009, 05:18 PM   #5
Ronny
LSBA Region 75 Rep/Hunt Committee

LSBA Region: 75
Last Activity: 06-09-2016
 @ 05:36 AM 

Good luck to the both of ya'll
Old 11-18-2009, 02:16 PM   #6
Sean

Last Activity: 06-27-2018
 @ 02:05 PM 

Thats an awesome buck and great story. If ya'll ever need an extra to help with driving I would be more than happy to oblige.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
Widowmaker

Last Activity: 12-06-2016
 @ 06:19 PM 
Thumbs up

Great recap,and an awesome buck-congrats on a job well done!