Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
Bweger

Last Activity: 11-07-2011
 @ 10:25 AM 
Default My daughters first bow kill

Here is my daughter Kayla's first bow kill and the ram I got this past weekend.
Thompson Temple 2009 011.JPG

Thompson Temple 2009 008.JPG

Prostaff-Team MOFEA
Bweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
txhunter
Administrator

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 09-12-2016
 @ 08:05 PM 

Congrats to both of you, Brian.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
Bweger

Last Activity: 11-07-2011
 @ 10:25 AM 

Thompson Temple Hunt 2009
I met Simon at my house Thursday at 11:00 and we headed to Weatherford to meet the rest of the crew that was traveling down to Thompsons with us. We finally got to Thompsons at 10:30 that night and got settled in to camp. We got up bright and early Friday morning and looked around trying to decide what rams we wanted to hunt. My daughter Kayla spotted a nice Mouflan ram that she wanted to shoot so we made a plan on what we were going to do to get him. We got into a popup that we set up in the area we had seen the ram that morning and waited for him to come wandering by. We had a few rams come into our area but the ram we were hunting did not show up. We headed back to camp that night planning on hunting the same area the next mroning. We were up before daylight and into the blind just as it was getting light. We saw a few small rams but Kayla was set on shooting the ram she had seen the day before so she passed on the rams that we saw that morning. While we were in the popup that morning I saw a big nice Black Hawaiian ram in another pasture that I decided to try and stalk. I slipped into the pasture by myself because these rams were extremely skidish and would run off at the first sign of something different. I eased my way up the mountain about ¼ of the way then cut across to the back side to see if the rams were still there. Now keep in mind that this pasture was covered with cedar brush and loose rock so being quiet was almost impossible. I finally made it to the area I thought the rams were in but I didn’t see them. I moved a little higher up and as I stepped out from behind a cedar I was looking at 5 rams and they were looking right back at me. I didn’t see the ram I was after in that group but as I eased back behind the cedar I saw him stand up about 100 yards below me to the right of the rams I had walked up on. I backed back up the hill a little futher and eased around to the right and the started working back down toward my ram. I am not sure why the rams didn’t run when they first saw me but for some reason they just stood there watchimg me. I finally worked my way down the mountain to within 20 yards of the ram I was after . The only shot I had was through a hole in a cedar that was about the size of a 5 gallon bucket lid. I came to full draw and settled my 20 yard pin tight behind his shoulder and let my arrow fly. My arrow must have hit a little limb because it went low and hit the ram low in the chest. He took off running up the mountain to my right with me running up the mountain parallel to him. We went up about 200 feet or so when he slowed down and gave me a shot. I came to full draw and just as I shot he turned away from me and the arrow hit him in the hip. He took off back down the hill with me hot on his heels. About 400 feet down he stopped and I tried as hard as I could to hold steady to take another shot but I was breathing so hard I had to let down and try to catch my breath. Just before I could get a shot off he took off back up the mountain and so did I. He ran up about 300 feet then stopped I tried to get off another shot but couldn’t do it. I was suckin wind pretty bad at this point and for whatever reason the Ram took off back down the mountain and one more time I was right behind him. He finally slowed down and I just drew and shot at him on the move. My arrow hit him in the flank and he spun and headed back up hill. I just stood there as I was so winded I could not take another step. To my great joy and relief the ram only went about 30 yards and fell over as soon as I saw him hit the ground I collapsed and layed there for about 10 minutes trying to catch my breath. I got him back to camp and took pictures about an hour later. That evening me and Kayla headed up the mountain behind Thompsons house and set up on a feeding area. We were there about an hour when a Black Hawaiian ram that was nicer than the ram we were after came in. Kayla came to full draw and let her arrow fly. In her excitement she pulled the arrow to the left and the ram ran off. We waited patiently for another hour when another nice ram came in and Kayla took a shot at him but miised low. We headed back to camp a little down but still optimistic for the next morning. Shortly after we got back to camp one of Thompsons employees came and got us because he had found the original ram we were after so back up the mountain we went. We drove to within a couple hundred yards of the herd and eased up toward them. Kayla came to full draw and kind of rushed the shot since the ram that she had named Larry was moving and the arrow flew just over the top of his back. We headed back to camp and had a wonderful meal of steak and pork chops. The next morning just at first light found us back up behind Thompsons house and wedidnt have to wait long. Probably 20 minutes after we sat down the Black ram Kayla had missed came walking back in. Kayla came to full draw and let the arrow fly. I was looking through my video camera view finder and didn’t see the arrow but I thought it sounded like she hit him but after reviewing the tape I came to the conclusion that she had missed. We sat there for a about an hour and a half when another ram came in and for whatever reason Kayla could not no matter how hard she tried to draw her bow get it to full draw. The ram ran off and Kayla just sat there heart seriously depressed. I decided to go look at the spot were the black ram had run just to make sure she hadn’t hit him and saw a black ram below me standing braodside. I got Kayla and we were easing around to get a shot when I saw the ram black ram Kayla had shot at laying on his side about 20 yards to our left. Kayla hadn’t seen him yet and when I pointed him out there was a smile on her face that lit up the world. In my excitement I forgot to film the recovery of her ram but we did get pictures. I am extremely proud of Kayla she set her sites on what she wanted and did not compromise or give up even when she was having some bad luck. Once we had the ram back at camp Simon found a fresh wound on his neck from the shot Kayla took the day before. There were several rams taken by the group and a great time was had by all and I am looking forward to next year.

Prostaff-Team MOFEA
Bweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
BUFF
Just Me

Last Activity: 02-24-2016
 @ 02:07 PM 

Congrats to you both
BUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:24 PM   #5
Ronny
LSBA Region 75 Rep/Hunt Committee

LSBA Region: 75
Last Activity: 06-09-2016
 @ 05:36 AM 

Looks like she is hooked now. Congrats to the both of you
Old 02-02-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
El Jeffe

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 04-20-2010
 @ 04:29 PM 

Congrats to both of you Mr. Temples palce is great I cant wait till I go in April. By the way chasing them up and down that mountain pasture will definatley make you feel week.
El Jeffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:24 PM   #7
engine 11

Last Activity: 11-01-2010
 @ 07:55 AM 

congrats to both
engine 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:03 PM   #8
bowhunter26

Last Activity: 11-24-2010
 @ 12:24 PM 

congrats!!!!!!
Gun Barrel City & Kerens Tx
903-229-7750

www.rednekboodaoutdoors.com
www.christoutdoors.com
bowhunter26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:42 AM   #9
Chunky

Last Activity: 11-19-2013
 @ 08:41 PM 

Way to go, congrats.

Buff's so deadly...filming him killed my camera!
Chunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 10:07 AM   #10
tinman

Last Activity: 10-11-2011
 @ 10:21 PM 

Awesome!

Congrats on a great hunt together...may there be many more for you both.
"Today there is no need to battle with the beasts of prey and little necessity to kill wild animals for food; but still the instinct persists. The love of the chase still thrills us and all the misty past echoes with the hunters call."

Saxton Pope
tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
RobinHood

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 05-21-2012
 @ 06:37 PM 

Nice rams.
Congrats to the both of you.
RobinHood is offline   Reply With Quote