Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > What's Your Game > Whitetail Deer
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-28-2003, 03:18 PM   #1
SP!KE

Last Activity: 08-31-2011
 @ 05:27 PM 
Default How's the season going so far?

How did y'all fare this opening weekend?

Here's a pic of my doe I shot this morning. Sorry I didn't have time to clean up the blood. She was out about 15 yards, slightly quartered away. She only ran 40 yards and I could see her when she fell.

Getting one opening weekend, sure does take the pressure off!

Let us here how your weekend/season is going?
SP!KE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 10:05 PM   #2
BOBSTER
Texas Bowhunting & Bowfishing Records Chairman

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 06-03-2021
 @ 08:08 PM 

Congrats Spike on a nice doe, just was wondering how you did on getting her tagged. (Find the right tag, Cut out Month and Day. Fill in County and Ranch on tag with a Ink Pen and Log it on the back of your license with a Ink Pen). Hope this helps, but would be a little to late. :lol: :lol:
Old 09-28-2003, 10:16 PM   #3
SP!KE

Yep, Mr. Deputy Dog, got her tagged!

How was your opener :?:
Old 09-29-2003, 09:56 AM   #4
BOBSTER

Well since I am leaseless this year, did not get to make a opening day hunt. Me and the wife will be leaving 10/04/2003 to West Texas for a week long adventure for Antelope and Mule Deer. Then off to Sterling City for her whitetail hunt she won last year at the LSBA Banquet. Hope we score on all animals while on our road trip. Have to thank Rob Kiebler for our antelope/mule deer hunt and Pardners Hunting Service for the deer hunt. Wish us luck. 8)
Old 09-29-2003, 10:33 AM   #5
Phillip

Last Activity: 05-21-2009
 @ 12:37 PM 

Great Job! What broadhead was that? It looks like a 3" cutting diameter. I can clean that photo up if you want to get it in the whitetail bag section of the magazine. Email it to me at phillip@alliedprintingco.com if you want her in the mag.
Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 10:47 AM   #6
SP!KE

I use a 1 1/2" cut three-blade Rocky Mountain Ultra. They are hard to find now, because most of your speedsters out there have gone to either a smaller head or an expandable. I have to order replacement blades from Rocky Mountain, because nobody stocks them anymore. I usually just resharpen and reuse. They leave an awesome hole though.

I can clean it up, just threw that one out there right after I shot her. I will send you a higher resolution one with the blood cleaned up.
Old 09-29-2003, 03:45 PM   #7
JPaul

Last Activity: 08-30-2007
 @ 08:24 AM 

Congrats Sp!ke. I killed a lot of mosquitoes. Saw two small bucks Saturday morning. Saturday evening between swating bloodsucker I did manage to arrow a nice boar that was well over 300lbs. It was getting dark so the pic is a little grainy. I captured it off my video.
Old 09-29-2003, 05:36 PM   #8
bowjunkie

Last Activity: 02-26-2007
 @ 11:14 AM 

Paul,

YOU DA MAN!!!! Good looking Piney Woods Rooter there son! CONGRATS!

When is the BBQ 8)
Old 09-29-2003, 07:24 PM   #9
JPaul

Last Activity: 08-30-2007
 @ 08:24 AM 

Thanks Mike.

That hog was way to fat to be a rooter. He even had pretty well muscled hams. We must have good genetics. lol Or maybe it was just all the corn he had been stuffing his face with.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:14 PM   #10
bowjunkie

Man that hawgs head is ALMOST as big as Kavin's (that ought to draw him out)...LOL Nothing like a good ol corn fed porker for the smoker/grill!

Hows the wife doing? When is the little JPaul due? Is it a girl or boy? or both :shock:

Kim just walked in and said "howdy' and to tell Meadow she said hello!
Old 09-29-2003, 08:24 PM   #11
BOBSTER

Mike, how did your hunt go. Thought you would be out for a while, or is it until November that you booked your 10 day hunt at Brushy Hill. Did you get to go hunting, is there any story to tell. JPaul, what a hog, how big where the tuskers on him?
Old 09-29-2003, 08:51 PM   #12
biggen
LSBA Hall of Fame/Hunt Committee

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 04-04-2018
 @ 07:54 PM 

Way to go Sp!ke! Nice doe. I didn't get to bowhunt this weekend I went on our annual South Zone Dove Hunt. Lot of Doves. Hope to go out wensday.Spike got the envelope today, Thanks!

Biggen
biggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 09:09 PM   #13
Frontloader

Last Activity: 04-18-2007
 @ 06:21 PM 

Sp!ke

Good shot on the doe. However, I don't see your headlight in the picture. Must be nice to have meat in the freezer this early.

JPaul. Great looking hog. One of many to come I bet.

Biggen

Received the Brushy Hills hunt T-shirts last week. Thanks again from the Kana clan.
Frontloader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 09:37 PM   #14
bowjunkie

Bobster....NOPE...I had to change the hunt dates till the rut (not a bad thing) I leave in the morning to go to Tulsa, so I had to reschedule at Brushy Hill. I had an invite to go to SP!KES farm in Chester, but due to short notice, went to the SHNF instead for my ritual opener, should of gone to SP!KES since he shot that doe out of MY stand 8) (J/K) I'm buying the brisket and ribs for next weekend Sp!ke!.

Hunted the opening morning and saw a doe and two first year deer (no spots, guess you could call them fawns?) with her....but no shot and would not have taken it if I could. Had a big boar(?) hog growling at me at 6am in the dark while I was pullin on the headnet (SKEETERS WERE BAD!) Never saw him but the ground at first light showed it to be torn up under the Pin Oaks.

Wife and kids came up Saturday afternoon as did LAWDOG and after we all visited etc....it was too late to go out for the evening hunt...I blame it on Lawdog...LOL (Good seeing ya Brother!!) Slept in Sunday morn and ate a good breakfast with the family, went hiking, played monopoly in camp and then went out for the hunt last night. Had three mature does work into the Pin Oaks/American Beauty Berry bushes I was hunting and just as I was drawing... the forkhorn I did not see snorted from a few yards behind me and the gig was up....HAHA! Ol tinitis in both ears from them shotgun blasts in the duck blinds all them years caught up with me....need to either get a Walkers game ear or hearing aid! :? Soooooo close! LOL...I had a blast and almost could not keep from laughing when that buck nailed my a$$, actually startled me pretty good as I was concentrating on them does pretty hard....good thing it wasn't Bigfoot! 8)

Sooooooo there is always another day and even though I did not get to go to Brushy, or to Sp!kes...I had an awesome time. I introduced Chris S. from the Bowsite (just moved here from Oklahoma and has lurked the site here) to the Forest and we fellowshipped and he was in a good stand with lots of sign. He only hunted Saturday morn, but we got to drive some roads together and have some good bowhunter fellowship Friday and Saturday middady.....it was a true pleasure brother!.

I camped with my family, enjoyed a night around a fire with my children and wife eating 'smores' and naming the constellations in the clear night sky that is not possible in Houston. Had my 4 year old son crawl into the sleeping bag with DAD after the Coyotes started howling cause he thought they were 'monsters'. Took a hike on the hikers trail with them and saw a raccoon, squirrels and an onery opossum :wink: I camped with my family last years opening weekend and may make it a tradition as I truly enjoyed the 'sacrifice' that was not much of a sacrifice....I liked it! Ashlee will gun hunt the youth weekend and during the General Season I look forward to when Gavin can do the same and when they both can pull the 40#'s required to hunt with a bow.

I think maybe I am tired of the "killing" and have begun to relish in the little moments that make me feel complete as a 'hunter'....The enjoyment I get from the joy on my families faces or the satisfaction from introducing someone to the joys of Texas hunting is outweighing the satisfaction I got from the "thrill of the kill".....I finally completed the journey. Thanks Grandpa!
Old 09-30-2003, 09:57 AM   #15
SP!KE

Quote:
I think maybe I am tired of the "killing" and have begun to relish in the little moments that make me feel complete as a 'hunter'....The enjoyment I get from the joy on my families faces or the satisfaction from introducing someone to the joys of Texas hunting is outweighing the satisfaction I got from the "thrill of the kill".....I finally completed the journey. Thanks Grandpa!
Bowjunkie, I also get sentimental and idealistic when I haven't shot anything. :lol:

Snap out of it MAN!

Look forward to seeing you this weekend Broski. I've got the seat in the stand warmed up for you.