Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > Public Hunting Opportunities
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-15-2007, 06:09 AM   #16
taex

Last Activity: 11-05-2008
 @ 04:07 AM 

I'm new to this site and although I grew up in Whitney, I'm new to hunting the area. I am stationed in Alabama but will be home in Dec and was wondering how the hunting in the Lake Whitney/Aquilla areas are going. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I will be home for only a few days and my father-in-law lives just minutes away from Vaughn, near the Lake Aquilla dam and I'm interested in hunting this area.

Thanks and good luck to ya's.
taex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 11:28 PM   #17
DJM

Last Activity: 08-17-2011
 @ 07:53 PM 

http://www.forthoodhunting.com/html/photo_page.html

Check out these bucks taken off of Ft Hood!

DJ
Old 11-18-2007, 09:23 AM   #18
taex

Wow, nice bucks. Guess I'll have to plan a longer stay next year to try out Ft Hood.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:57 AM   #19
taex

Anyone have an update on the rut activity in Central Texas, especially in the Hill County area? I'm headed that way tomorrow and will only have 2-3 days to spend in the woods, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:13 PM   #20
taex

Well, we got into Hillsboro on Wednesday and I went hunting Thursday afternoon. It was warm and I didn't have a lot of hopes of seeing anything, and I didn't. I scouted out a little area and saw a little bit of sign, but I again, I wasn't hopefull but it was close to the house and it looked like it wasn't being hunted, so I continued. I hunted Friday morning, Friday afternoon and then again Saturday morning. I had put out a little C'mere Deer, hoping that it would help. I again saw no sign. I had Christmas party to go to Saturday night and my father-in-law was receiving an award from the police department, so I wasn't able to hunt that night and because we were out late and I was just plumb give out, I didn't make it to the woods on Sunday morning. It turned off cold and damp and I just knew that the deer would be moving. I had to pull my lock-on stand out of the woods and I had decided to take my son with me. We bundled up and headed to the woods. I took my bow, just in case. The wind was perfect, so we were headed into the wind. We arrived at the stand location and the deer had completely tore up the area where the C'mere Deer was. I wanted to sit in the stand, but with my 8yr old, that wasn't a smart idea. So I decided to pull the stand and move about 20yrds to the edge of a clearing, then I would grunt and rattle in hopes to see something. We eased through some really thing stuff, making a little noise but not too much. As we approached the clearing, I set my stand down and I heard something, big, walking in the edge in the thick stuff. I told my son that it was a deer. I reached for my release, and out he stepped. I nice buck, at least an 8pt. He was on the other side of the thick stuff, where we had just been a min prior. He stopped and looked straight dead at us. He took off, knowing that something wasn't right, but didn't blow, so I'm sure he didn't wind us so I figure he caught movement. Anyway, it was an awesome moment. My son got to experience it. Even though in a way I wish that I hadn't taken him, because I would have sat in the stand until dark, I'm glad he did go because of the excitement from seeing such a deer that close.

Anyway, even though I didn't get to harvest a deer and until the last hour of the last day did I even see one, I'm excited about the area and I'll definitely be back.

Good luck to everyone and I wish you all the best.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:51 PM   #21
Tomme
Region 78 Rep/Hunt Committee Chairman

Last Activity: 06-13-2015
 @ 08:31 AM 

Great story Larry and a great memory for you and your boy.
Tomme is offline   Reply With Quote