Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-02-2008, 06:03 PM   #1
Aggie95

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 10-06-2015
 @ 07:43 PM 
Default Kansas Buck Story

Here is the rest of the story from the post Brad put up for me. I go up every year to phesant hunt with a gentlemen from church who has a fair amount of family land in north central Kansas. I asked if I was able to get a deer tag if I could also bow hunt, and so I did. here is what happened.

Wednesday evening the first night that I was hunting, I had just set up a tree stand that afternoon around 1:00 pm in a creek bottom where several trails came together and crossed the creek. I was sitting at a round 4:00pm. I was rattling and grunting about every 30 minutes. At around 5:00 a called out a nice eight point who came out behind me. I watched as he stayed just behind me outside the creek bank (creek bottom is about 75 yards wide with lots of trees) He stood there looking my direction with pauses to rub his horns and head in the trees and bushes. I grunted softly a couple of times to keep his interest. He started making his way down into the creek bottom after about fifteen minutes of antics. He was a borderline shooter in my opinion, hard to be to picky when your sitting in a tree with a bow waiting for something to walk by within 30 yds. He made is way toward me but stayed just outside were I could get a shot and eventually went out the other side. I was thinking I had missed my chance. I continued to rattle and grunt every thirty or so trying to get him back. About 6:45 - 7:00 sun setting quickly I looked up and saw him coming back. He was again rubbing the brush outside the creek. He made his way down into the bottom but stopped about 45 yards down from me and began to aggressively rub his horns against a tree a foot in diameter. I only had about 5 minutes left to shoot. I grunted, he ignored, I grunted more and he began to walk toward me. I was ready when he came into the clearing walking at an angle right towards me. By the time I pulled back he was right below me about 10 yards he paused looked up at me an wham. I dropped him in his tracts right through the top of his neck between the shoulders. When I quite shaking and climbed down I quickly discovered that he was not the same 8 I had seen earlier. He was a true 10 with four extra stickers three on one side and one on the other. He field dressed 220. PS the picture with me stnding next to the deer (I am 6'5")

Dave
Aggie95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #2
DoubleJ

Last Activity: 06-16-2014
 @ 08:09 AM 

Great deer and really a good recap. Congrats agian.

Jack Jetton

LSBA Life Member
TBoT Life Member
TBA Member
P & Y Associate Member
NRA Benefactor Life Member
TSRA Endowment Life Member
IBEP Master Instructor
DoubleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:14 PM   #3
Hot4huntin
LSBA Past President

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 07-29-2019
 @ 02:25 PM 

Great recap!! Congrats on a super great buck!

Mrs. Bobby Kana and Ty and Hunter's Mom =)

Support Bowhunting~Join LSBA!

LSBA~Your Membership is Your Voice
Hot4huntin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:50 AM   #4
biggen
LSBA Hall of Fame/Hunt Committee

Last Activity: 04-04-2018
 @ 07:54 PM 

More pics!! Dave said he couldn't post pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg daves kansas buck.JPG (119.5 KB, 10 views)
Psalm 64:7
biggen is offline   Reply With Quote