View Single Post
Old 07-11-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
Hot4huntin
LSBA Past President

LSBA Region: 77

The next morning I sat in a pit blind with Franz. I usually do not sleep in the blind, but after all of the moving, etc., I was exhausted. Franz woke me up when the female warthog and her little ones were coming in. I had wanted to take her because she had some huge cutters and hunting time was dwindling. I got ready to shoot. I figure it to be about a 10 or 11 yard shot, but I had Franz shoot it with the range finder just to be sure. He said 18 yards and I repeated 18??? It was confirmed. I shot at 18 and hit at 18; over the sow’s back. I shot it and it read 11 yards. I am not sure about the mis-communication, but now I had the range finders. I had a small boar come in, one that I had watched for several different days. I decided that I was not watching this time. My hours in South Africa were numbered. I would take him and if something nicer walked out, it would get it too. To be sure of a successful shot, the Buff and Chunky arrow came out! I should have taken those guys our earlier! I waited for a broadside 8 yard shot and let my arrow fly. THWACK!!! Yes, finally!! We found him not too many yards away.

We went back to the blind. The Wildebeest came in and then two Kudu cows. Franz said he was going to try and get permission for me to kill one of the cows because they had been after her with rifles because she was sick.

Permission was granted! Yeah! She was eating at 22 yards and I nocked my Rsatt arrow. THWACK! She went 5 yards and fell over dead. I did not get a load of penetration, but my broadhead went into her heart. We were not able to touch her because of the illness. They did not want to spread the disease. I took some LDP’s with her, but they are not suitable to post.

After lunch at the BJF, we headed back for a safari style hunt. Justin with PSE, his father, who is his camera man and their PH, Peter, Bobby and I loaded in back of the truck. Bobby was after an Eland. Justin was looking for a Wildebeest, Zebra or Red Hardebeest. I was hoping to see an Impala. Justin and Peter tried stalking some Zebra and Wildebeest with no luck. While they were stalking, Bobby located the Eland. However, the big, bull was not in the herd.

Bobby was going to go hunt the concession with Villiam and Peter, so it was nearing time to leave. I sat with Peter, Justin and his dad. Peter was quite a jolly fellow and ensured no one in the blind was bored. A Franklin appeared at the blind and I grabbed my blunt. I drew back and let it fly. THWACK! Feathers went everywhere.

Justin, PSE Rep

Peter and me

Later that night, they invited me on a night hunt. Bobby was still in pursuit of the Kudu Bull at the other concession, so I took them up on their offer. Karien drove, Peter held the spotlight and Justin and I were the shooters. I really was only after a porcupine, Justin was after everything. We eventually returned with no game taken even though Justin had a great chance at a Red Hardebeest, but did not take the shot.

We got back to BJF and I learned that Bobby had taken the big Kudu Bull! I was so excited for him. I saw another thread posted here on the “last day of the hunt”, well his Bull was killed the evening before we left. What an awesome trophy!!

Some parting shots:

Dirk Faul~Ntshonalanga Safaris

Karien and me

Bobby and me in front of a pit blind

Rodel the tracking dog

Tetrius, Karien, me and Bobby

From sunrise

To sunset

South Africa was an AMAZING and INCREDIBLE experience! I met many new friends and hope to hunt with them again. I cannot wait to take the entire Kana Clan back to South Africa!

Thanks for letting me share!

Mrs. Bobby Kana and Ty and Hunter's Mom =)

Support Bowhunting~Join LSBA!

LSBA~Your Membership is Your Voice
Hot4huntin is offline   Reply With Quote