View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 03:24 PM   #293
AWMiller

LSBA Region: 76

Widmer Brothers Hefeweizen
Widmer Brothers Brewing Company | Portland, Oregon USA
Purchased @ Kegs & Barrels - Plano, Texas USA

Style: Wheat Ale

I say I am tired of hefeweizens yet I keep coming back to try them out! this one possesses the standards of a pale wheat ale but is really dry (almost chalky) on the finish. Not really something I am found of, especially in a hefeweizen. It’s an ‘ok’ brew but I shall more on to other brews in this style over this one.

For my 'beer-nerd' details on this brew, please click here.

=========================

Flensburger Dunkel
Flensburger Brauerei GmbH Und Co. KG | Flensburg, Germany

Style: Dunkel

A good brew but nothing really attention-getting. A very easy drinker; almost too easy. Well-balanced brew that is not too malty sweet or too bitter from the hops. My first brew to try with a flip-top ceramic lid. I reckon that’s probably the most exciting part of this beer for me. Thus I continue on in my search for a dunkel that is going to truly capture my attention.

Real Ale Sisyphus 2010
Real Ale Brewing Company | Blanco, Texas USA

Style: Barleywine

My first Barleywine and if this is my starting bar of comparison to future barleywines they better knock me off my feet if they are to beat this one! This brew is absolutely delicious. It’s one of those brews that you just have to try in order to understand why mere words are not enough to describe just how delicious this one is! Keep in mind the ABV on this brew because that alcohol is very well hidden in the flavor of this beer! Definitely grabbing more and cellaring it for a few years to see how it ages! NOTE: This was the 2010 release.

Avery Samael’s Ale
Avery Brewing Company | Boulder, Colorado USA
Purchased @ Lone Star Beverages - Carrollton, Texas USA

Style: Barleywine

Excellent dessert brew loaded with cherries and a slow warming effect from the high alcohol content (16.45%!!); this brew would pair wonderfully with some wild game as well! Go slow and enjoy this brew to its fullest; it’s pricey, full of flavor and loaded with alcohol. Will definitely get a few more of these and cellar them for a while as I’m sure this brew improves with aging! Enjoy some today; and tomorrow; and … you get the picture!

St. Feuillien Saison
Brasserie St. Feuillien | Le Roeulx, Belgium
Purchased @ Lone Star Beverages - Carrollton, Texas USA

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Due to my lack of experience at this time with saisons (farmhouse ales) this one was a tad different from others that I have savored. Most noticeably is that this one was so much sweeter and did not possess that big sour/tart bite that others had. Still it is a good brew and one that should be savored at least once as the sweetness just might be what you are looking for!

AWMiller is offline   Reply With Quote