Thread: Looking Back
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2014, 12:28 PM   #1
Speed Trap

LSBA Region: 76
Default Looking Back

Greetings all,

First off, it is dang cold and I'm stuck working the Fort Worth Stock Show and Rodeo until February 8th instead of chasing the numerous pigs that are running around my lease. I was able to get six this year, with the two smallest being around 125 and 150 pounds. The other four were 225 and up to 300 pounds.

I've not been on the LSBA site in quite awhile, and today, killing some time, was going over some older posts and wanted to ask a question that still may be a touchy subject, CROSSBOWS.

I've been bowhunting since 1976 when I bought my first recurve at the age of 16 and missed many a deer for the next couple of years due to the fact that I really didn't know what I was doing growing up in the hardwoods and swamps of Louisiana and trying to pull a 60 pound Bear and weighing a mere 125 pounds. After joining the USAF, I had the money and bought a Whitetail compound and hunted with it for a couple of years, and after all the advances in technology, I have been hunting with a Mathews since 1992. Just wish I had all the money I spent on the 25 or so Mathews I've purchased since that time.

Anyway, this past year I got to thinking and pondering deer/pig hunting and came to the conclusion that I've harvested a deer or pig with everything but a knife, spear and crossbow. I've hunted with pistols, shotguns, longbow, recurve and rifle for the past 40+ years and decided this past season I was going to try the crossbow.

During the past season, I hunted numerous times with the crossbow and was able to harvest a doe at 12 yards, which was a chip shot just like using my compound, as well as several of the aforementioned pigs. My goal was to use the same setups that I used for my Mathews, and since I always set up for close shots, usually 18 yards and under, I wasn't to concerned about taking long shots.

I know there are many States throughout this great country that have passed laws to allow crossbows during the regular archery season, and was just curious if the thoughts of many members of changed since 2009. Not looking to get into a debate or "hash" it all out again, but just curious if any have changed their minds in the past several years.

Looking forward to your posts......
Speed Trap is offline   Reply With Quote