View Single Post
Old 03-09-2007, 08:27 AM   #22
LostHawg

LSBA Region: 76

DIPPING

As I said, I will be using Helmsman Spar Urethane for this batch. I've come to like the spar urethane over gasket lacquer (GL). It seems to hold up better to aggressive target practice than gasket lacquer. Just about any hardware store carries it unlike GL and costs significantly less.

When I decided to quit the GL, I opted to keep the dip tube and gasket system. After an hour of work I got the old GL out of my tube and reloaded it with the urethane.

Tube

Prior to dipping, you need to prime the gasket. This will enable you to achieve a uniform coating of urethane the length of the shaft. I use either an old "retired" arrow or a shaft that is not arrow quality to prime the gasket. You dip the primer shaft to pull the urethane up to the gasket. Once you start its recommended to dip all 12 shafts in one setting. If you can't do this you will need to clean the gasket after any significant interruptions.

Dipping

Dip the shafts and stow them in such a way as to allow the urethane to set evenly. I use a "clothes line"system:

Hanging

With GL you can go back to work on the shafts after only a few hours of "hang" time. GL sets faster than spar urethane. With spar urethane I'll usually wait at least 8 hours. Depending on the weather and temperature I may wait longer or less.

Okay, so they're hanging and the urethane is setting. We've got a big wait before we continue. What I do during this time is take another inventory to make sure I've got every thing for cresting. Paints, thinner, brushes, etc. I can also use this time to chop feathers if I choose, clean points, or go harrass the kids and such.

More later this evening. Gonna do some painting.
LostHawg is offline   Reply With Quote