View Single Post
Old 09-23-2011, 08:25 AM   #282
AWMiller

LSBA Region: 76

Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale
Dogfish Head Craft Brewery | Milton, Delaware USA
Purchased @ Beer & Wine World - Mansfield, Texas USA

Style: American Brown Ale

Great leaping six-toed lizards!! This has absolutely got to be the MOST robust brown ale I have yet to savor! It’s stated that it is a cross between a scotch ale, an IPA and an American brown ale … I call it ‘delicious’!! The ease of drinkability on this brew is phenomenal and I found myself having to keep from going bottoms-up and chugging it down! (But I’m oh-so-sorry to report that I could not resist the temptation any longer … but damn that was gooooooooood!) No other brown ale that I have tried thus far compares to this and I’m afraid that the bar has been set very high – at least in my humble ‘average joe’ opinion. Plenty will be on-hand for some slow grilled rib-eyes or perhaps some deep-fried turkey this coming Thanksgiving! Smooth, aromatic, creamy, robustly flavorful … now I am wishing I had more of this succulent brew!

For my 'beer-nerd' details on this brew, please click here.

=========================

Dogfish Head Raison D’etre

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

By the beard of Zeus! What a delicious offering from the folks at Dogfish Head! Am I drinking a beer or some fine wine blend?! Loads of raisins, grapes and plums are in this brew from start to finish. There’s a nice alcohol bite throughout that just makes this brew such a joy to drink. It’s very creamy and silky smooth. Easy to drink so go slow and savor the flavor! It paired very well with my pecan-smoked jalapeno/venison sausage flautas! The flavors became much more intense and delicious as the beer warmed up some!!

Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA

Style: American Double/Imperial IPA

Whammo Blammo that’s one hoppy brew! “Who let the hops out? Who? Who? Who? Who? Who?!!” Hoppy is as hoppy does! One of the most hoppy brews I have tried thus far and the first of the “Minute” brews from Dogfish Head for me. Nothing overbearing but full of hops from start to finish and loads in between! But given that, it’s a darned good brew! There’s just enough sweet malts in the background to tame this brew into something I can definitely learn to appreciate!

Hofbrau Oktoberfest
Hofbrauhaus Traunstein Josef Sailer KG | Traunstein, Germany
Purchased @ Lone Star Beverages - Carrollton, Texas USA

Style: Marzen / Oktoberfest

Having this brew (and watching “Beerfest” for the ump-teenth time!) is helping me look forward to that special time of the year, OKTOBERFEST!! This celebration runs from the middle of September through the first weekend of October. One day I shall travel there to celebrate in person! Now to the beer! A wee bit skunky upon opening but it quickly ebbs away. This is a good and flavorful brew that can be enjoyed quite numerously throughout the day. At my BBQs or fish fry this is one of a few staple brews that you will always find on hand as it is a great compliment to some good meats and fried fish or seafood. Very refreshing and very light in the belly so it won’t weigh ya down! Neighbor, when was the last time you had some Hofbrau Oktoberfest? Well, that’s too long!!

Orval Trappist Ale
Brasserie d’Orval S.A. | Villers-devant-Orval, Belgium
Purchased @ Lone Star Beverages - Carrollton, Texas USA

Style: Belgian Pale Ale

Odd but ‘spicy bubblegum’ first came to mind when I first tried this brew. The flavors in this one are many rolled into one and each vying for their own moment in the spotlight. Intense but very well-balanced and very much enjoyed and savored. This is definitely a brew to sit back and enjoy ice cold and then savor the flavors as they change while the brew slowly warms. This is also a very aromatic brew that had me wishing they would make a dangly air freshener made with this scent! (yeah… odd, random thought there) This is a great brew to try if one has not gotten into Belgian Pale Ales.

AWMiller is offline   Reply With Quote