View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 02:12 PM   #3
Chunky

Thanks Dena,

The food over there is great, but if you have any likes or allergies or whatever tell them as soon as you arrive. They tried to feed me liver once (and I hate liver) because I did not tell them.

Buy a book on the antelopes of africa and study them. Remember that all are not in all areas and some may not be available due to quotes and restrictions. This is important and let me give you an example. I got a sable on my first trip and was trying not to repeat any animals I already had. Then I saw an unbelievable sable....50 inches I guess. Huge, and I thought, he is so big and beautiful...I may just make bookend out of them. Well, on my first trip, they were the most expensive thing I shot, 2300.00 trophy fee. The big one did not come closer than 50 yards and no shot. Back at camp I asked what the fee was on one, knowing they could have gone up and everyplace is a little different on price......7000.00 YEOOOOCH. I am glad I did not get that shot. Know your animals and there prices, especially if you hunt alone at all.

If you want to shoot females, because it is cheap or you want the hides, tell them. They are geared for trophies, but they may need some camp meat or leapord baits and you could shoot those for low or no cost.

Sometimes you have to stay a certain amount of days to shoot certain animals...check into this to make sure the animals on your A list are going to be available and in good numbers. If you ask the right questions you can find out what will be there. They may have 20 species listed on your available list, but some are rare while others you will see everyday.

Once again communication is key, here is one thing that happened to me this last trip. I had already taken a nice Blesbok, big but not giant. While hunting for a hartebeast, an absoulute pig of a blesbok comes in. I can tell the guide is beside himself with the size of this animal. He whispers the he may make the top 5 of all time. I have already shot one and so take his pic at 10 yards broadside. After he leaves, the guide says....I sure wish you were willing to spend the money on a second one...What, I say, I thought I was restriced to just one, how much would it have been? 400 hundred bucks....I told him I would have spent that in a second........lesson learned...communication.

They will want a PH/guide to hunt with you at first, but if you prove trustworthy and responsible you may be able to hunt alone if you prefer that...talk to them about it. You will have to judge trophy quality yourself, which can be hard with low experience.

In S. Africa they have an alcoloic beverage that looks like choclate milk and is very sweet. The name escapes me, part of the charm of it I think....but if they offer it to you, take it, and bring me a bottle back LOL

Don't get much of the local money, most don't want it and will just take your dollars. You can have a little for cabs or bell boys or whatever, but don't change a thousand bucks into Rand.

Don't pack anything valuable in your checked luggage. It has a good chance of getting stolen. I bought a nice camera backpack and in it went all my electronics, cameras and binos.

When is the best time to go? It is all good, early no animals have been shot yet (our summer), but they are not as concentrated to the water either and the bush is thicker. Later (fall) it will be drier and the water will be better hunting, but you could get rain also and of course they have been hunted for a few months. I think you are going to have a good hunt nomatter so pick a time that works best for your schedule.

probably add more later, need a sandwhich now...
Chunky is offline   Reply With Quote