Thread: Wonderful Hunt
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 06:07 PM   #1
Tomme
Region 78 Rep/Hunt Committee Chairman

Default Wonderful Hunt

I got a chance to hunting with my oldest and youngest sons at Elm Creek this last week. Many of you know Jon as he has been on all of the Grunts and Gobbles hunts. He's been bowhunting since he was 13 (he's 29 now). On this hunt he was joined by his oldest brother Troy. For Troy this was to be his second bowhunt.

We saw lots of deer almost every time we took to the stand. I shot a doe on my first hunt and steered it to where it dropped right next to the road. Biggen will say that this was luck but I like to plan it that way as it makes the tracking and loading easier.

Jon also took a doe on the second night. His was liver shot and we went through some of the thickest stuff you have ever seen. All I can say is that Jon can really track. Jacob Fohn (the outfitter) and he went a long way on a speck here and a speck there. I think Jacob was about played out, but Jon persisted and found the deer.! I was pumped, but did point out the need to drop them a little closer to the road.

Guess he was listening because on the last morning hunt he arrowed an 8 pt that went through the woods and dropped right next to the road. 4.5 year old deer, which field dressed at 125. What a feeling.

Troy wasn't completely left out. He got to experience a 10 pt that came out and stuck around for 30 minutes at 20 yards without offering a shot. Finally on his last hunt he had a shot at a doe and made his first miss at 30 yards. Soon after that an 8 pt came out, but wouldn't move into the shooting lane because of the arrow sticking up there. LOL.

Can't tell you how much I enjoyed the hunt. I'll try to get up a picture or two asap.
Tomme is offline   Reply With Quote