View Single Post
Old 03-09-2007, 07:42 AM   #20
LostHawg

LSBA Region: 76

Okay, I'm back to stain:

When I stain the shafts I use fiebings alcohol based leather dye or Rit Dye mixed with alcohol. I think I mentioned this above.

I use the daubers that come with the Fiebings (leather shops usually carry extras) to coat the shaft as needed with the leather dye. Alcohol based dyes work real well. They dry fast and can be worked in as little as an hour or two depending on the weather, temperature and perhaps the age of the wood (how cured is the wood?). I've found that with shafts with excess resin in them you'll tend to have "bald" spots after wooling. Personally, I think this adds character and don't mind it. I'm sure more educated folk will have something to add about this. I haven't noticed any compromise in shaft strength due to this, so I press with pride.

As stated above I'll mark where I want my cap and crown to begin. The crown mark will be center crest and will not have to be too uniform. I cap with a fade or bleed if you will, kinda a signature for my arrow work I suppose.

Applying Leather Dye Stain

Leather Dye with cap (many will paint over this as well to hide the change in color)

Center Crest

Center Crest to Nock

Old coot in training
LostHawg is offline   Reply With Quote