View Single Post
Old 03-16-2007, 07:37 AM   #32
LostHawg

LSBA Region: 76

Fletching

Feathers, glue, shafts and jigs

I numbered my clamps and stands so I can get a more uniform fletching job.

I opted for a natural barred cock feather. This will be the feather that helps to quickly allign the nock for notching the arrow to the string. Off white or pearl for the hen feathers. I'm using Duco Cement and as with the nocks, it takes only about 5 minutes to set hard enough to hold on its own.

Clamp your first feather and seat it on the shaft so the feather makes contact the full length of the feather. Allow the glue time to harden and remove clamp, install the next feather in the clamp, rotate the receiver of the fletching jig, glue and mate. Be mindful of the direction you rotate the receiver. When using 3 fletch, this is critical for feather placement. After the arrow is fletched set it aside and do another.

After I've completed installing feathers on the dozen I then will go along and place a bead of glue to the fronts and backs of all the feathers. This will help prevent the feather tip from raising and possibly imbedding in your hand upon release. If the set glue appears bubbled on the front and back of the feather, take a field point or screwdriver and roll it flat.

12 arrows, feathers and done.

Only thing left is installing points/broadheads. The recipient of these arrows elected to install the points himself, so they'll be going to Louisiana pointless.
LostHawg is offline   Reply With Quote