Lone Star Bowhunters Association

Lone Star Bowhunters Association (http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hunting Stories (http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   My apology to Atom Broadheads (http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2535)

timhicks 12-30-2009 10:33 AM

My apology to Atom Broadheads

Atom broadheads my apology

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few years back I recieved some atom broadheads to test for Wildboar USA.
I took them out and they flew exactly where I aimed but I screwed two of the three up when I pulled the arrow back out of the target. I thought to myself maybe they should tell you to push the arrow through and not pull out on the package. Well I finally decided to give the last head a try on a hog. It ws New Years eve the year before last and I climbed in my stand and had was using the test version of the Hawglite Marauder and about 11:30 I was gettting very sleepy and I was shinking I probably should go home when I heard a few hogs close to my feeder. I could see a few smaller hogs under the texasboars feeder light but with the use of my marauder I could see a big boar at 25 yards to the left of the feeder. I drew my bow slowly and set my 20 yard pin low and behind his front shoulder. I realsed and all i saw was backness moving to my right. I waited for about 15 minutes knowing I made a good shot and got down only to find my arrow and virtually small drops of blood. Thinking the hog ran right I searched and searched and could not find blood. Well a bit dissapointed afetr shooting a nice 250 pound hog I went home and decieded to look the next morning. my daughter and I drove up behind my stand and Lauren asked me what was that over there and I looked and about 75 yards from the stand to my left was a few buzzards and a hog laying on the ground. The pics didnt look good as the buzzards had already pecked his eyes out. I still took a few pics with Lauren standing behind the hog and she was in a pink sweater if anyone remembers that. I had made a good shot I just looked the wrong direction as the other pigs went left I must have caught a glimpse of them.
Now being stubborn and bbit dissapointed everytime I would see a post about the atom head I would say no they dont leave a good trail. Had I been shooting another head I may have found the hog or thats what I was thinking. I have killed a few hogs in my bowhunting days and my lost versus found was very good to the side that I usually find my hog when I shoot.
Fastforeward to this last spring. Matt from atom sent me some new wires for the two that I had screwed up from the target and asked me to try them again. I was a bit skeptical and really didnt want to give them a chance and for this I was wrong. I thought best way to give them a test would be on a doe than maybe a hog. Well I had to work opening weekend on Saturday so Sunday Morn I was able to get in my ground blind. I could here hogs moving around me and waiting for the feeder to go off. A bit after daylight I have about 15 150 and less pigs at the feeder. I draw my bow with the atom on and watch as my po-nock blows behind the shoulder of the pig and he takes off about 30 yards and drops. The other pigs dont have a clue and continue to feed I get another arrow in and draw once more and watch again as my nock glows to its target. he runs a bit further and the hogs haul butt. I get out of my blind and find both arrows and both atoms are still sharp and wires in place. I decide to wait until I can shoot a big hog so I can really find out if its going to leave a good blood trail. The next week I get to shoot a doe she weighed in at 128 and I had a great blood trail and she went 60 yards.Then I got my new camera in for my bow and got this film in the same night with the same two atom heads.

Both hogs were over 200 pounds and I only needed to track one of them. the bigger hog ran about 75 yards and when I gutted her her insides were complete mush. Matter of fact everything I had cleaned had been pretty tore up from the head of the atom.. I will say I was wrong and a butthead to the people at atom without giving them a chance. Will I use this head again,, yes darn skippy when I can afford a few more. I am down to one head and still goign to use it. I apoligize to Atom broadheads for not giving them a fair shake

BOBSTER 01-06-2010 06:42 PM

Looks like you found something that will work for you. Congrats on the hogs. Bob

skeeter 02-26-2010 10:57 AM

nice job! Congrats on the pork!