Lone Star Bowhunters Association

Lone Star Bowhunters Association (http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/forum/index.php)
-   LSBA Campfire (http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Draw Loc legal in archery season? (http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1743)

NETexasOutdoors 07-27-2008 01:30 PM

Draw Loc legal in archery season?

I copied and pasted this straight from TPWD Archery regs from this page:
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...al/hunt/means/

Here is the part that interests me:

Longbows, compound bows, or recurved bows:
  • that are equipped with a device that allows the bow to be locked at full or partial draw are lawful during any season when lawful archery equipment may be used.
I take this to mean that draw locs are legal in archery only season. Assuming I am correct then when did this take place?

BOBSTER 07-27-2008 09:49 PM

NETexasOutdoors , you are correct. The draw loc has been legal in the archery season now for many years. Bob

nothinbutwelves 07-28-2008 09:45 AM

a draw loc on your bow is just a crossbow that is upright ! this should not be allowed in my opinion without disabilities.in which case it is a wonderful item.just my humble opinion.

biggen 07-28-2008 09:56 AM

Most bow manufacturers will not honor warranties if the bow has a draw-loc installed.

LostHawg 07-28-2008 01:15 PM

I'm still trying to figure out how you'd install one on my bow if you did choose to..... :hot:

I bet ol' Satterfield could hook you up. ;)

Trailboss 07-29-2008 09:52 AM

Some ranches still don't allow them except for handicapped (BAO).

Trailboss

LostHawg 07-29-2008 10:05 AM

John, Darren specified he was looking into it for the sake of a handicapped man in another thread.

http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/for...read.php?t=667
Quote:

Originally Posted by NETexasOutdoors (Post 13743)
...I am looking to purchase one for a upper body disabled person in the hopes that he will be able to shoot a bow. He has two boys that I am hoping will become bowhunters because he can now resume bowhunting...

nagaranch 07-29-2008 12:28 PM

didn't like them when the thing came out, and don't like it now (personal opinion). they used the same arguments to get it ok'd as they are using now for the crossbow now.

Trailboss 07-29-2008 01:20 PM

I have no problem if used for handicapped.

Trailboss

NDNRoger 07-29-2008 03:32 PM

That means I can use one! Woohoo!!

Oh wait....you didn't mean "mentally" did you.

NETexasOutdoors 07-29-2008 06:36 PM

I'm not in favor of using them for the able-bodied in archery season. And I am certainly not in favor of allowing crossbows in archery season. I have been around LSBA off and on since 1982 and share what I think is the majority opinion on both of these subjects.

I also have been told face to face by the actual folks the fight LSBA made to whittle us out an archery season. I respect tradition and I stand by those folks. I personally would prefer draw locs not be allowed in archery season except for those unable to hunt without it.

I am sort of at war with myself in this way. I don't have a problem with sharing the last weekend with youth. Yeah, I would prefer they move general season back 2 days and start it on a Monday and give the youth opening weekend of the current general season but due to money it won't happen. But I also don't see allowing a youth too young to draw a bow to use a draw loc to archery hunt in bow season. Like I said, I can't explain it real well but it just don't seem right.

I look at people like my 71 year old dad who fell through the decking of a roof and jerked both of his shoulders out of socket and think the draw loc would give him an opportunity to bow hunt again or a 38 year old man with MS and with 2 sons. If he could bowhunt again and take his sons and they see his example would it influence them to become adult bowhunters and guardians of our obsession.

I'm not saying anyone is suggesting the injured or handicapped be denied the opportunity to bowhunt in archery season. I'm just weighing the greater good against our dedicated season.

Thanks for hearing me out. Like I said LSBA is my kind of folks. I will try to participate more than I have.

BOBSTER 07-30-2008 09:55 PM

NETexasOutdoors , Since the draw loc has been legal now in the archery season for years; like you mentioned, we need to use this to help keep the crossbow out of the archery season. There should not be any reason that anyone could use a compound bow (not sure of stickbows) with a draw loc attached and hunt durning the archery season. I watched a program on one of the hunting channels that advertise the draw loc. It has an 70+++ year old man pulling over 70lbs. with the aid of the draw loc. He also mentions that there should not be anyone that could not hunt with a bow regardless of age of proplems while using the draw loc. I am still infavor of those with upper limb disabilities using a crossbow with a Dr. note. Bob

Bossbowman 07-31-2008 11:08 AM

Quote:

Since the draw loc has been legal now in the archery season for years; like you mentioned, we need to use this to help keep the crossbow out of the archery season.
That is the only positive spin on this, but I don't see why TPWD had to go an print that in their outdoor annual, between them spreading the word that draw-loks are legal and abolishing the 40lb draw weight, there are going to be alot of inexperienced, unpracticed hunters with bow in the woods this year, and the result is going to be alot of deer running around with holes in them - they need to start requiring bowhunter education if they are gonna get this liberal with the rules.