Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > Rate the Day Lease / Outfitter
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2007, 09:17 PM   #1
takoma

Last Activity: 07-24-2008
 @ 08:44 AM 
Default ~[REVIEW] Boazman Quatro B. day lease- (pics)

Lease review from : (7/16/2007 12:04:11 AM)

Recently returned from this weekends hunt. Doug was a fantastic guy accommodating me on my last minute schedule. Well spoken and respectable guy, He was more than willing to share advice, time and tips as this was to be my very fist bow hunt.

Excellent setup and facilities. His guides were helpful and wiling to work with hunters on stand placement and advice.

So many animals out there ! Saw all kinds of amazing exotics, and others like black buck to red stag to audad.

Each night hunters were covered in hogs, everyone took shots.. and all but I actually stuck a pig that first night (several of the hunters shooting multiple pigs. 2nd night I stuck a 140+ hog, however unable to recover.)

I was astounded by the volume of varies pigs that seemed to pour from the bush right at dark. Saw some NICE SIZE large boar as well fighting and wandering down the corn fed roads.

hogs- $75 a day- Unlimited.

Nice camp setup, great facilities, helpful guides, amazing ranch and property, tons of shooting opportunities........ I'll be back in no time !

Check them out :
http://www.boazmanbowhunting.com/

Couple tips :
* Fiber optic sights are a good plus in this situation.
* Luminocks would help as well, to help you see your hits.
( or make your own- see attached video at this link )
* Bring plenty of spray - mosquitoes are out of control right now.
* Don't forget a good flashlight for those night time tracks
* Long sleeve camo would help thwart the bugs
* Mid day is worthless, morning is iffy,evening is where it's at
* Hit LOW...Hit LOW...Hit LOW...Hit LOW...Hit LOW...Hit LOW... - Lung shots on these tough pigs means for a track. And a track means in the inky black of night. With the thick brush out there with all the rain makes for difficult retrieval. A good heat combo lung shot will make a world of difference
Check out a excellent pictorial and writeup about HOG anatomy here :
http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html
* no mechanicals broadheads- just fixed blade. My 100 gr. Muzzy 3 blade worked a fantastic blood trail for me
* 2 favorite places would be near the back lake/pond where the stand is that overlooks the intersection of 2 roads. Open shooting created down 3 lanes right there. 2nd- is the stand down the road near the Oak trees (the guide Kevin will know where you speak of )
* If you want to move a stand, feel free. They welcome you to move them where you see fit. These 6 foot stands don't weigh much and are easily manipulated.
* If you need supplies of any sort, be sure to hit up Hondo- they have a Walmart there and all kinds of other stores for last minute necessities and gear.
* If you see a coyote take em out with indiscretion ! You will be doing Doug a favor. They are the prime suspect for disappearance of black buck fawns.
*As they come just about right at dark- Be ready for them as they come in in droves and clusters. Almost unsettling how much noise they make as they work their way through the dense undercover. They slip almost silently the last bit through the tall grass, listen for the crunching of corn.
*You will only have but 10-15 minutes of visible light for shooting before it's so dark they turn into dark shadows, and good shots are futile.
* They take you out @ 5...but next time I go I will opt for 8-8:30pm in a spot that will not bother other hunters when they drop me off. It's right at 9:15pm that they come in. You will just be bored, sweating, and mosquito bait until then.

* These by no means are "pet pigs". They will scent you and spook into the brush even with little to no windplay. Take note of the moment they "huff" their warning and begin their retreat. Draw a bead and put one in the boilermaker fast !
* They do have a track dog names TACO. In my opinion he's about half effective. Go low right above the pigs "elbow". You zap that heart and lungs, and Taco's services will be negated.
* If it helps you.. bring some florescent tape or some kind of maker to help you keep track of blood trails. When you track, you'll find out they zig and zag all over the place. The markers will also help you get TACO on the blood trail upon introducing him to the blood.

~Good luck for those that go ! A wonderful trip and excellent shot opportunites !

~C
takoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 09:20 PM   #2
takoma

Thought I would add in a little trick that I figured could help out others when it comes to almost dark hunting situations.

*** I used this this weekend at Boazmans lease with those hogs. They paid no mind to the glowing red light.

I simply purchased those THILL LIGHTS. These are small light/battery combos you can pick up at your local outdoor store or Academy outlet. I prefer the PUSH ON/SNAP BACK OFF type ( they also carry the TWIST ON/OFF type)
They are small inserts used in bobbers for nocturnal fishing. Cost all of 2bucks and some change. 20hours of continuous battery life to one thrill light.

I first removed the small top cap to my sight using the corresponding allen wrench. Taking it to my workbench, I drilled a hole the same diameter of my THILL LIGHT.

Reattach the top cap to your sight. You now can easily slip the thill light into the hole and test to ensure at what depth it looks best as it protrudes down into the middle of your fiber optic coils. Once you access this depth, use a small rubber grommet or electrical tape to act as a stop so that it sits are the proper depth and does not fall completely into your sight.

That’s all there is to it !
It defiantly helped me as the light vanishes quickly in evening hunts. Using the red THILL light it will SUPER glow your RED fiber dot on the sight, turn the GREEN fiber dot yellow, and your yellow fiber dot seems to maintain it’s color with no change.

Good luck on this easy and helpful mod !
Old 09-23-2007, 09:21 PM   #3
takoma

Here is another review at this link, from another hunter that went a week or so after I did. Seems the hog and game out there truly is what I speak of :

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ad.php?t=17881

Here are some pigs the owner sent to me of another hunter recently scoring on a nice boar.... UGH !!! Probably one of several I saw by the back lake. I should have jumped off the stand and stalked them... ;O

Old 09-23-2007, 10:01 PM   #4
txhunter
Administrator

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 09-12-2016
 @ 08:05 PM 

Very good write up takoma. I am very impressed about the homeade lumenocks. Where do you purchase the lights that you make the lighted knocks from?

Congrats on your hog and it really sounds like you had an awesome time. Thanks for sharing all the valuable info.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:36 AM   #5
takoma

Happy to assist others in pursuit of good leases

The THILL lights can be purchased at most of any sporting goods stores in the FISHING department around the bobbers. These THILL lights can be bought individually for 2bucks and change. I purchased mine from ACADEMY , but have also seen them at Sportsman Warehouse.

Make sure you get the ones that pull OFF and push ON.
There are some out there that twist- and those you don't want.

I like the RED ones. The green don't seem as bright.

~ carlos
Old 09-27-2007, 06:22 AM   #6
kellyg

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 07-08-2015
 @ 01:44 PM 

Good info Takoma! I'm heading there Sunday and will put the info to good use... I hope.