Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2008, 09:13 AM   #1
nothinbutwelves

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 11-08-2017
 @ 11:54 AM 
Default 3-d,participation

This Years 3d Participation Was Good But I Believe It Can Be Great I Would Like To Know What Brings You To Any Shoot And What Keeps You Away From Any Shoot.i Want To Make 3d In The Lsba The Best Thing In Texas But I Cant Without Your Help So Please Write To This In Open Quote Or In A Private Message To Me I Am Dedicated To This Working And I Need You To Be As Well.thank You For Your Thoughts.and Support
Sincerly Your Tournament Director David Stroup
Keep Em In The 12 Ring !
nothinbutwelves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:20 AM   #2
biggen
LSBA Hall of Fame/Hunt Committee

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 04-04-2018
 @ 07:54 PM 

Friendly environment and someone diffently in charge!! I go to some shoots and nobody seems to know who is in charge!! Friendly environment means for the first time shooter or novice that isn't sure what to do. I have walked into some shoots and thought maybe I was going to get strung up!! Maybe someone to be a greeter and explainer. Usually women are less threating!! My two cents worth!!
Psalm 64:7
biggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 02:57 PM   #3
LostHawg

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 07-30-2018
 @ 05:37 AM 

A free tank of gas?

Old coot in training
LostHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 03:06 PM   #4
Chunky

Last Activity: 11-19-2013
 @ 08:41 PM 

I normally don't take the pin or plaque or whatever is given out...even if I am lucky enought to finish in the top three, but I remember Polk County gave out some hand made cane arrows with flint tips for prizes at one of there trad shoots....I wanted to win one of those so badly it hurt. The point being something different than normal would get my attention.

Also, I heard last week at Montgomery County that he did not go to LSBA because in the trad division it was recurves and long bows, he shoots a longbow and felt he had not chance. A lot of the trad guys like to shoot more than one round, that is why the big trad shoots draw alot, the shooters get a lot more shooting for the time and money spent to attend.

I am not sure this would work for LSBA, but I am just throwing it out because people told me.

Buff's so deadly...filming him killed my camera!
Chunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
HuntBunnyTCB

@ 06:00 PM 
Default HuntBunnyTCB

I attended every 3-D shoot this year except for one and I thought it was well organized. I thought the Bass Pro Gift Certificate and backpacks were a great idea.

I do believe that if more of the Committee members of the LSBA would participate (P.R. Committee, Program Committee and even some E.C. Members) that would be wonderful. It would be nice to have support from the Upper Management of the LSBA so that the other members know that the 3-D Tournaments are a good training source for bowhunters from the beginners (novice) to the old-timers.

The P.R. Committee would be great as the Greeters and Educators and I think that along with the Program Committee they could put on a super safety/training session. The shoots do not start until 9:00 and a demonstration an hour or 45 minutes before would be great.

FYI - A male can be just as unthreatening as a female. It all depends on how you present yourself.

Last edited by HuntBunnyTCB; 07-02-2008 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: quotes/color
Old 07-02-2008, 03:48 PM   #6
Chunky

Last Activity: 11-19-2013
 @ 08:41 PM 

Huntbunny, thanks for the input.

Please don't take this the wrong way, as I think your ideas are good....but the facts are there is not as much uppermanagement in LSBA as you think. We have no PR committee, nor Program commitee. The facts are that the business of the club is done by a few (less than a dozen) hard working volunteers. Those people do it all from the 3-D, magazine, membership, fund raisers, merchandise, hunts, kid shoots, going to Austin, awards banquet, Hall of fame, records, web page, and on and on....for the whole state!
There is enough work for 50 people or more.

We need to get more club members active. We could certainily do some sort of instructional seminars for beginners, and if we advertised it...may bring in a few people who have been wanting to come, but are intimidated about the whole tournement thing.

It would be great if a few regualar members could step up and help David out by being greeters. That is a wonderful idea, we just need someone to do it. David is so busy with making sure the course is set up, getting the money, cards out, and all the rest with the running of the event....he can't do it.

I did attend 3 of the shoots so far this year and will make the state shoot this month. I probably could have stepped up and done more, but to be honest, I didn't want to step on David's toes. He was running things and doing a good job...but in hind sight I could have been there early and welcomed people talked up the club. I don't know about the shoots outside of Houston, but several officers/ EC members attended the ones in the Houston area.

You seem well spoken, if you are going to attend most of the ones next year, how about you? Not to put any pressure on you or anything.

Buff's so deadly...filming him killed my camera!
Chunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:01 PM   #7
River Bottom Hunter

Last Activity: 08-27-2012
 @ 12:15 PM 

Just some feed back my wife is not real keen on the shotgun starts and the rush to finish. We both are average shooters at best and go to the shoots for fun and not the compition. And if you have kids with you then you are going to be slower. Rushing thru a coarse is not as relaxing to us. JMHO. We have really enjoyed the MCAC and Smoke N Feathers shoot because we can take our time.
Beaman ICS Hunter Arrows
Trophy Taker Shakey Hunter Rest
www.tx3dshooters.com
www.texasbowhuntn.com
River Bottom Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:12 PM   #8
TradAg02

Last Activity: 10-06-2012
 @ 09:31 AM 

Why I go to shoots:
- Consistency – While each club has its own character you need to provide some consistency in the manner in which each shoot is run.
- Two-day events – While I understand this places more strain on management, it provides more flexibility for the participants. In my opinion California on Saturday and shotgun on Sunday creates the most flexibility.
- Cash payouts – The largest shoots offer cash payouts. With climbing gas prices, I would personally consider traveling further if I thought there was a potential to recoup some of my expenses.
- Top Competitors – These days the only way that I personally will travel away from the Houston area is to face stiffer competition. In my opinion the way to bring in stiffer competition is to increase the prestige of the tournament.

Additional Comments:
Emphasis on youth & new shooters – I believe that as the state bow hunting organization we should place an emphasis on getting the younger generation and new shooters involved.

If the LSBA is financially able we may want to consider allowing children and youth to shoot free. I also believe that we should provide trophies to each of these participants. Rather than looking at this as a cash outflow I see it as an investment in our future.

Once again if financially able we could allow individuals who are attending their first 3-D tournament to participate for free in a non-competitive class and send them home with an LSBA magazine.

I would like to reiterate Chunky’s comments that this is a volunteer organization that is currently short of volunteers. I am in another organization that meets on a weekly basis
TradAg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:13 PM   #9
TradAg02

Last Activity: 10-06-2012
 @ 09:31 AM 

and is run completely by volunteers. It is a huge year around time commitment and therefore the organization has difficulty filling the roles with individuals who step up on their own. Therefore we actively seek out regular members and directly ask them to step up and fill in where needed. You would be surprised how many individuals will help out when directly asked and how many of them will then continue to help from that point forward without reservation. In addition the quickest way to get yourself elected to a position is to offer up a complaint or criticism. If you don’t like the way something is being handled we encourage you to step up and fix it.

Nuthinbuttwelves, as tournament director I commend you for the advancements that you have made thus far and encourage you to seek out others to assist you so that you do not have to carry the entire burden on your own. Throughout the tournament season I am sure that several faces have become familiar. You may request that each of these individuals step up and lend a hand when you have a tournament in their local area, every little bit helps.

Keep it moving in the right direction,

Chris
TradAg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:09 AM   #10
Landrover

Last Activity: 10-17-2008
 @ 07:45 PM 

3-D is for practice and FRIENDLY competetion!
I like friendly folks who actually want NEW people in the sport or at least in thier club. I have been shooting since college in 1985 and sometimes wonder if people think I just picked up this game yesterday. (-; Life is short and every moment should be enjoyed.....that includes the organizers and participants!
Old 08-24-2008, 04:28 AM   #11
BearOmni

Send a message via Yahoo to BearOmni
Last Activity: 08-23-2010
 @ 11:16 PM 

I have never been to a 3d shoot. I really just started shooting a bow last year. I guess I'm a little scared to admit to a bunch of other people who have been doing this forever that it would be my first time. Scared that I wouldnt know what to do and people would be mad at me for screwing up or taking too long or doing something the wrong way.

I guess that if I knew of a place where I would be treated fairly and with respect, even though I'm 33 and just starting out, then I would probably go to that shoot.

I think the biggest thing you can do is build a reputation as a "fun" place to shoot. Be very welcoming of newbies and word will get around. You could have a novice or "just for fun" class (where everyone gets a small prize) and a competitive class for the serious shooters. (yall may already do this, I dont know)

Just my .02 worth.
BearOmni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:09 AM   #12
BOBSTER
Texas Bowhunting & Bowfishing Records Chairman

Last Activity: 06-03-2021
 @ 08:08 PM 

Bear, I have been the same as you on the 3-d game. Try and find someone that shoots 3-d and go with them. They will be able to explain some of the rules to you, although there is not much to it after you have done it a couple time. The first time I went out, I did not have any clue on what class I was to shoot. I was told that with my equipment, I would have to shoot the bowhunter class, so I did. Then I had no idea what stakes to shoot from. Was told to shoot from the white stakes, but there were 2 sets and at different distance. Learned later that one of the whites was for trad shooters. Now after I have done it a couple times, I have found out that I can shoot in the novice class, because I suck at shooting 3-d. David has taken away the multiple color stakes with the LSBA 3-d so that has become easier also. There are a lot of people that shoot 3-d that are very serious about it and can make a beginner loose intrest fast, but then you have a lot that go out and want to have fun (like me) and will help you along the way. David (nothingbuttwelves) has a great 3-d season set up for next year, and I hope to be able to play more. Bob
Old 08-24-2008, 09:37 AM   #13
BearOmni

Send a message via Yahoo to BearOmni
Last Activity: 08-23-2010
 @ 11:16 PM 

Thanks for the info Bob. I dont think I have anyone close to me that shoots 3d, and I'm the only bow hunter in my family....so I'll probably have to go it alone and make a friend or two once I get to a shoot.

I actually sat at the same table as David and his wife at the LSBA banquet a few months ago. Seemed like really nice people. (as did everyone else there)
BearOmni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:10 PM   #14
HuntBunnyTCB

@ 06:00 PM 

We welcome all newcomers to the 3-D shoots. There has been such a decline in this sport over the past years and it is very exciting to know that there are new people out there that are taking an interest in 3-D.

I have been shooting for 15 years off and on and besides the heat I love the sport. Most of the people that we have connected with over the years are still in the sport. We have friends/acquaintances all over the state that we have met at the shoots.

I will tell you from a parent point of view that we have two children that are grown now but they are still connected to 3-D. We started with them when they were 4 and 5 years old and now that they are 19 and 20 they both are still very active in 3-D. We have family night every wednesday night and that is what they do in the backyard. Our daughter's boyfriend in the past year has purchased a compound and a recurve and our son bought a compound for his wife. It has truly become a family sport for us and we all traveled together this year to that State Shoot. My husband and son travel throughout the 3-D season to the shoots around the state. An excellent way to spend time with your kids.

We really hope to see you at the shoots next year when our 3-D season kicks off.

Good Luck with your Hunting season!
Old 09-05-2008, 12:21 AM   #15
BOBSTER
Texas Bowhunting & Bowfishing Records Chairman

Last Activity: 06-03-2021
 @ 08:08 PM 

HuntBunny, welcome, I hope to shoot more 3-d this next year myself. Bob