Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-01-2007, 09:02 PM   #1
Tomme
Region 78 Rep/Hunt Committee Chairman

Last Activity: 06-13-2015
 @ 08:31 AM 
Default Grunts and Gobbles Final Results

If you measure this hunt in terms of the fellowship it was great . If game harvested is what you look at we might as well all become vegetarians. ops:

The only game animal I know of for sure that was taken was a real nice Turkey Gobbler taken by Ronny Strickland on Sunday morning. I believe it was a 10.25 inch beard and weighed about 18 lbs. Ronny says he called him in, but I think the turkey simply spotted him and said, "Hey, there's another turkey down there. Think I'll go join him."

I do know that other people had shots. No names here, but Chris had two chances to take home the concrete pig, but the curse won once again. Visitors to Brushy Hill ranch can go by and see it on Rusty's front porch along with the signed names on it of all the losers that have tried to win the pig but have fallen to the curse. We've left it with Rusty till next year because Chunky and Biggen were getting bad backs from lugging it back and forth.

The balloon shoot went well. You know the one where we start out at about 130 yards and keep moving up until someone finally breaks the balloon. I'm happy to report that by holding 30 feet high on my first attempt that I was only one of two people that overshot. Paul McNeil won this event with a dead on shot at I believe 58 yards.

The big event all day Friday and into Saturday morning was the weather. It adds a little spice to the trip when your pickup slides off of the dam top on one of the ranch tanks and has to be caterpillered (and towed back to the top). There was also the truck stuck in the river bed which luckily got removed before the river came up and the S-10 pickup that was buried up to the doors. I was contemplating my next Toyota being two wheel drive, but this hunt cost me a lot of money, because no way I'll go that way on my truck.

Oh yeah did I mention that the river came up. This happened Satureday morning. The rain had stopped and several hunters (no names, but as a hint they come from an East Texas town where everyone is named Strickland or is related (something about inbreeding I believe)). Anyway they crossed over the river for the morning hunt and then the river came up. Moral to this tale is to sleep in. The truck was still over on that side of the high water when the hunt ended on Sunday afternoon. Frankly I think they did this on purpose so that they could stay an extra night, but who knows, perhaps it was an honest mistake.

Bottom line, hunting was lousy this year, weather was horrible and I had a really great time.
Tomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 09:15 PM   #2
Bullrdr82
LSBA Region 77 Rep

Last Activity: 08-10-2017
 @ 08:30 AM 

It was a really good time, Tomme.

I got some good pics of that "Ragin River" but not real sure how to post them. I will send them to you in an email and hopefully you can get them posted.

Sorry I missed the balloon shoot, we were out in the field doing a little "recon" on the hogs.

I had a really good time..... good food + good people = GOOD TIMES!!

Tracy (LostHawg) - It was great meating you. To all the guys from Sante Fe Archery, good to meet ya'll as well. I know I am missing some others, and it was a pleasure to meet everyone.
Bullrdr82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 07:14 AM   #3
LostHawg

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 07-30-2018
 @ 05:37 AM 

back atcha bullrdr

Tomme, I can't believe how you can get away with buying those kids off so's you can win the raffles. I'll get some hard evidence someday. Mark my words. :lol:
LostHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:07 AM   #4
TradAg02

Last Activity: 10-06-2012
 @ 09:31 AM 

Darn concrete pig.

1st opportunity 135lb pig. 30yards and closing and a turkey decides to roost, no shot.

2nd opportunity 250lb pig. Broadside at 20yds, but pretty dark so I decided get a little closer. At 15yds he was facing me so I had to wait for him to turn broadside. Lighting strikes, wind kicks up, downpour starts its second round, no shot.

3rd opportunity 15 pigs. After a hundred yard stalk, pigs turned and headed back towards me forcing me to back into the brush in less than a desirable location. I take a 7yd shot through a small hole in the brush. I am not sure what happened as the arrow evaporated upon release. End result was no arrow, no blood, and no pig.

4th opportunity 250lb pig, same as above, new day. The pig came in early to scuba dive in the waterhole below the feeder. After 45min at 23yds the pig never presented a solid broadside shot.

In the end I had a great time and got to meet some good people.
TradAg02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:29 AM   #5
Graybow

Last Activity: 09-28-2014
 @ 11:25 PM 

Don't forget about Hunter Henson (6yo) who killed a rabbit. He's no vegetarian!!
Was a lot of fun. As we were leaving my son looked around and said, "Next year!" We heard the "ghost pigs" again. Danged Curse of the Concrete Pig! Anyway for me to be able to sand my name off that thing?
Graybow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 08:42 AM   #6
Tomme

Sand your name off the concrete pig? CERTAINLY NOT! The winner is going to be able to contemplate the names of all the LOSERS that he or she was able to beat out.

That's why I'm starting my practice sessions right now, for next time. In fact, I think I'm also buying garlic, silver bullets, crucifixes, and maybe hiring a witch doctor or voodoo guy to lift the curse. Well ok, not the whole curse, just from me personally. You other guys don't have a chance.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that one of the high points of the balloon shoot was when all the trad guys toed the shooting line at the same time and let fire a simultaneous volley. No one got the balloon, but I wouldn't have wanted to be standing in the area when all those arrows came down.
We may have to do that again.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:52 AM   #7
biggen
LSBA Hall of Fame/Hunt Committee

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 04-04-2018
 @ 07:54 PM 

I had a great time seeing old friends and making new ones! Bill, J.R. and Marion it was nice sharing the campfire with you! I finally let somebody else win the ballon shoot since the only person I wanted to beat was on the other side of the river trying to stab carp(that's another story). Hunting was tuff but that's why we choose to be BOWHUNTERS! I agree with Losthawg on Tomme's ability to always win at the Raffles! :twisted: Thanks to everybody that endured the rain to help support the LSBA!
biggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:38 AM   #8
lbbf

Last Activity: 06-25-2011
 @ 01:16 PM 

It was a great time! I'm still waiting to get my first bowkill larger than a rabbit, but still had a blast. I got to meet a great bunch of guys. I think I had the cleanest car leaving on Sunday. Thanks again Roger for driving me all over the place. My two wheel drive car didn't have a chance. Watching Hunter fling arrows at that balloon from 100 yards away was great. When gets a bow with a little more draw weight he is going be tough to beat. You guys keep practing because I plan on winning again next year. :lol:
lbbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 01:50 PM   #9
bowhuntinonly

@ 06:00 PM 

I also had a great time and really enjoyed meeting Brad and Marion and getting to visit with them. Maybe next year i will join in on the balloon shoot. I also enjoyed meeting and talking to Tomme even if he does maybe cheat a little on the raffle!!!! :lol:
Old 04-02-2007, 03:33 PM   #10
Tomme

Hey, I only won TWO. I see how you guys are. Next year I'll just have to win em all.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:51 PM   #11
LostHawg

You probably will. But, I can't complain too much. You did allow me to get the cool knife and lighter set.

:P
Old 04-02-2007, 08:45 PM   #12
Ronny
LSBA Region 75 Rep/Hunt Committee

LSBA Region: 75
Last Activity: 06-09-2016
 @ 05:36 AM 

I made it home. Man what a mess we got in with the river coming up, across the river without a paddle. Had a great time and met some good people. All in all had a blast. Oh yea I got a turkey.
Ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 10:55 PM   #13
LostHawg

Yeah, once again, the Cumby crowd carried the day. Meat on the table and entertainment of the water sports type.

I think its Tomme's fault the river rose. He always cheats someway. And Tomme, keep them vise grips handy. Never know when you'll need to pull a tooth or something. :twisted: Good visiting with you again Doc. We'll see ya next year if all goes well and the Good Lord wills.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:57 PM   #14
Graybow

Last Activity: 09-28-2014
 @ 11:25 PM 

Ronnie, did y'all have to wait till Monday morning to leave? Congrat's on the turkey. It was a good bird.
Graybow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:16 AM   #15
Ronny
LSBA Region 75 Rep/Hunt Committee

LSBA Region: 75
Last Activity: 06-09-2016
 @ 05:36 AM 

Graybow, we got the truck back Monday morning.
Losthawg, was good to see you again and we will be back next year.
I think Brad had something to do with the river coming up, he did'nt wont me at the ballon shoot.
Ronny is offline   Reply With Quote