Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-20-2007, 12:41 PM   #1
BrandonH

Last Activity: 04-02-2012
 @ 10:59 AM 
Default Hunting Africa???

I'm hoping Buff or anyone else that is familiar with hunting Africa could give me a little advice. Myself and a buddy really want to go in the next few years, and even though the money is holding me back...time is my real delimma. With only being at my current job for less than a year I am very limited on how many vacation days I get and I do like to save a few for deer season and family vacations. Can anyone tell me how many days I would truly need off in order to enjoy a pleasant hunt in the dark continent? I'm talking about from them time I leave my house to the time I return. I don't want to spend the money if I have to cut my hunt so short that it isn't enjoyable, but I also don't believe that I need to spend a month over there to have a good time and be successful. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:50 PM   #2
Bullrdr82
LSBA Region 77 Rep

Last Activity: 08-10-2017
 @ 08:30 AM 

Good question Brandon.

I would be interested in this info as well.

I didn't do it... It wasn't me.... It was my evil twin brother!!!!

"It's like flyin down some back road at midnight, with your eyes closed, and the headlights off!!!"
Bullrdr82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:48 PM   #3
BUFF
Just Me

Last Activity: 02-24-2016
 @ 02:07 PM 

14 days is perfect. 10 will work. figure 2 days there and 2 days back. The great thing about 10 days hunting verses 6 is if it rains a couple of days on a 6 day hunt you are in trouble.
BUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:49 PM   #4
BUFF
Just Me

Last Activity: 02-24-2016
 @ 02:07 PM 

there is not enough money in the world for me to hunt 30 days
BUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
hillcountryhunter

Last Activity: 06-15-2009
 @ 03:07 PM 

This is a great question. For all those that have been, I have another question. How early is early enough to start planning? We are looking at going in the next five years or so and just wondering when we should start trying to put things together. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:13 PM   #6
kellyg

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 07-08-2015
 @ 01:44 PM 

Start saving and planning right away is my advice. Heavy on the saving! LOL! I'll never go for just a week again, it's just not enough time after all you go through to plan and get there.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:47 PM   #7
Injun

Last Activity: 09-23-2007
 @ 12:34 AM 

I got drawn for a free 7 day hunt near Johannisburg. We'e already planning now so we'll have everything in order by then. I would reccomend that if your seriously interested start on the critical items like a passport now cause they are fixin to take a little more time to get. Also start planning the trip & shop airfare now so you can save a little also.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:09 PM   #8
bo-n-aro

Send a message via AIM to bo-n-aro
Last Activity: 03-01-2015
 @ 07:58 AM 

As far as planning, it is never to early. Do what this post is doing, ask questions. Go to a SCI show, or the Dallas Safari Show and walk around and talk to folks, on both sides of the booths.
Use a travel agent that handles hunters. I have used both Gracey Travel and Wild Travel.
Make sure if you want to bow hunt that you book with a outfitter that specializes in bow hunting. When you narrow your choices down to two or three talk to hunters that have been there. Make sure the facilities are what you are looking for, a grade A lodge or a tent camp. Make a wish list of the animals you would like to hunt and make sure your camp has a good chance at them.
As far as the length of your hunt, If you plan on hunting one general area, without having other flights or travel, I would not recomend anything less than 8 full days of hunting, and I think 10 is perfect. One day before and one after your hunt and one day to get there and one to get back gives you a two week trip.
You can spread your finances out with a hunt like this starting with a deposit, followed say six months later to buy your airline tickets. A few months later you go on your hunt and pay at the end. You will have taxidermy expenses there, but usually a deposit followed by six or nine months later the ballance to ship. Most taxidermist will than work with you to spread your mounts out once a month or so.
I just returned a few weeks ago from South Africa. I had a group of 8 hunters including two couples where both ladies hunted. All had a great time and were talking of a return half way thru the hunt. We took 45 trophies and several culls.
Send me and email any time and we can talk in detail if you have any questions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My impala.JPG (134.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 09-03-2007, 05:22 PM   #9
Chunky

Last Activity: 11-19-2013
 @ 08:41 PM 

Don't forget to check and post in the Africa section of the forum.
Chunky is offline   Reply With Quote