Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2010, 06:50 AM   #16
BOBSTER
Texas Bowhunting & Bowfishing Records Chairman

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 06-03-2021
 @ 08:08 PM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Maybe if there was a drawing for a hunt or two for an adult, more people would join just for the chance at that.

Jo, I think a big key to getting more people informed about the LSBA is local regional representation, and a lot of hard work by dedicated volunteers, which are hard to find. If every major city had at least one LSBA rep and that person was active and visible around the local ranges and archery shops, then that would do a lot towards getting more people introduced to the LSBA.

Seriously, though. I think turning the annual banquet into a bigger event would be the best way to get bigger crowds. Of course, it would be even more work, requiring more help and more money. No easy answers.
1. We just done that and had a few members to join or renew for it. These always help a lot.

2. I guess that is were I really cannot do a lot. My days off are Tuesdays and Wednesdays so I cannot make most of these events. Not much happening on my days off but I do make what I can which is not more than one 3-D shoot a year.

3. We keep trying to do this. I have been attending banquets now for the last 10++ years, and even though they might be different and in different locations, the attendence really do not change. Some times you get a new face, but mostly it is our dedicated followers and then they talk someone else into coming.

Keep the good ideas coming, we really like hearing from our new members on their ideas, and rbiceo, you are so correct, we do need to always spell out the Lone Star Bowhunters Association. I am bad about not doing it, but that is the only way a new person reading a post will know who we are.

Bob Kana
LSBA Region 77 Rep.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:34 AM   #17
Shane

Last Activity: 12-02-2016
 @ 07:50 PM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by axisbuck24 View Post
Since the addition of regional representation has been brought up on several occasions, I would like to ask the following question: Would you be interested in assisting your regional representative in some capacity in your home area? What LSBA activities would you be interested in hosting in your area?
Jo, I would be happy to help where I could. My problem is the same as everybody else's: time. I wouldn't be able to make board meetings across the state regularly. With two teenagers at home right now, we rarely have a day that doesn't require us to be somewhere for at least one of our kids. Add my local board commitment and several things at church... Just like you and everybody else, I'm sure. On the big thread about all this on TBH, somebody mentioned utilizing online board meetings for folks that couldn't travel. I'm sure that could help more folks like me get more involved.

Zach and I really enjoyed the 3D shoot here in Abilene, and it was good to meet you there. I would be glad to help with that and anything else that I could here locally.

I hope nobody thinks I'm criticizing anybody. I'm not at all. I don't know how you guys get so much done in the first place, especially with no more help than you have. It's utterly amazing to me what you guys accomplish. I'm just saying that if you want to do even more, you're probably going to have to have more help. It's a lot easier to recognize that than it is to find the help - for sure. But I'd bet there are at least a few folks scattered around the state that would be willing to pitch in where they could.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:41 AM   #18
bountyhunter

Last Activity: 09-06-2012
 @ 04:35 PM 

I really think there are a lot of bowhunters out there that would join if they knew about LSBA. This was the case with me, I've been bowhunting for 30+ years but it wasn't until 2007 that I even heard of LSBA and that was from a direct invite from Mark (Chunky) on a different forum. Once I checked out the website and saw what we are all about, it was no doubt I was going to join. I know there are a lot more folks out there just like I was 3-4 years ago.

Getting the word out is the big issue you here, but doing it effectively is the most important question. Word of mouth is the best method and has been proven time and time again. We all visit archery shops and most of the time there are other people there, so I try and wear one of my LSBA shirts. I also try to strike up a conversation with folks and bring up the subject of LSBA. The only problem here is, I don't have all the answers to their questions. If I had something like business cards that I could give them with the web site and contact information of the local Reps, that would be a big help. That way if they are really interest they can get more and correct information.

We all also visit a lot of different forums and it would hurt to post up about bowhunting even on a fishing or other type of forum and then tell folks about LSBA and give them links to the web site. Every little bit helps.

As far as volunteering to help, I'm all for that. We all need to volunteer every chance we can. I know that not all dates and times fit, but when they do jumb in with both feet. If you truely love the sport and you care about the future of the sport, you can no longer just set in your arm chair you have to get active.

Ok, there are my two pennies. Bob you can call on me anytime and if there is any possibility, you know I'll be there.

Derek
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bounty...v=wall&ref=sgm
bountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:20 PM   #19
BOBSTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountyhunter View Post
I really think there are a lot of bowhunters out there that would join if they knew about LSBA. This was the case with me, I've been bowhunting for 30+ years but it wasn't until 2007 that I even heard of LSBA and that was from a direct invite from Mark (Chunky) on a different forum. Once I checked out the website and saw what we are all about, it was no doubt I was going to join. I know there are a lot more folks out there just like I was 3-4 years ago.

Getting the word out is the big issue you here, but doing it effectively is the most important question. Word of mouth is the best method and has been proven time and time again. We all visit archery shops and most of the time there are other people there, so I try and wear one of my LSBA shirts. I also try to strike up a conversation with folks and bring up the subject of LSBA. The only problem here is, I don't have all the answers to their questions. If I had something like business cards that I could give them with the web site and contact information of the local Reps, that would be a big help. That way if they are really interest they can get more and correct information.

We all also visit a lot of different forums and it would hurt to post up about bowhunting even on a fishing or other type of forum and then tell folks about LSBA and give them links to the web site. Every little bit helps.

As far as volunteering to help, I'm all for that. We all need to volunteer every chance we can. I know that not all dates and times fit, but when they do jumb in with both feet. If you truely love the sport and you care about the future of the sport, you can no longer just set in your arm chair you have to get active.

Ok, there are my two pennies. Bob you can call on me anytime and if there is any possibility, you know I'll be there.

Derek
Derek, you have said it the best. There are a lot of people that do not have the time to volunteer to help or just bad timing when we have or events. But everyone does see other people and and visit other websites and this is what they need to be doing. You can always request a brochure and it states everything that the LSBA has done in the last 35+ years and you can make copies, or I will send you copies and this is what we need to tell everyone about. Then push the recruitment of new bowhunters by having our kids archery range at events. Derek, thanks for the great idea. Bob
Old 08-13-2010, 11:50 PM   #20
bountyhunter

Here is what I posted up on a few different forums I post on regularly. I haven't had any direct reponses, but a lot of folks are reading the post. So maybe some of them will come to the web site and think about joining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountyhunter View Post
Lone Star Bowhunters Association
Who here are members of LSBA?

If you are not a member and you are a bowhunter you really should think about joining. The LSBA is your voice in the state for all issues regarding bowhunting. They also have some great events including youth hunts. To check out LSBA here is your starting point.

http://www.lonestarbowhunter.com/index.php

If you have any questions, please let me know and I'll get you an answer.

Derek
Old 08-14-2010, 08:06 AM   #21
BOBSTER

Thanks Derek, if everyone would do the same, we might be able to get our membership up. Bob
Old 08-15-2010, 05:34 PM   #22
treed

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 09-12-2015
 @ 11:51 PM 

Any thoughts about putting some LSBA magazines in news stands or magazine racks at Wal-mart or grocery stores and such. Maybe buying a page add in the TPWD regulation books that come out ever summer, or their magazine. As close as the LSBA and TPWD work together they may even donate a page. Just a thought.
When I first joined, the LSBA had access to a ranch that offered hunts at Batesville,TX. What ever happened to that?
treed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:12 PM   #23
BOBSTER

treed, the TPWD annual is to big of an expense for us. Our banquet doesn't clear that cost most of the time. Not sure how it would work out by putting the magazine in Wal Mart or what it would even take. I have always thought that we needed to advertise in our biggest Bowhunting Magazine. Not sure on the ranch in Batesville. It has not been around since I have been a Rep. Bob
Old 08-16-2010, 06:12 AM   #24
bountyhunter

I've been getting some responses to the post I put up on some of the other forums I frequent. One of the folks said he joined last night, so one down about 10K to go.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:00 AM   #25
rtread

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 04-02-2014
 @ 07:21 PM 

Some good ideas here about printed material.....business cards, pamphlets, fliers, etc. to give people.

I know of two archery shops that I frequent that would probably be glad to have some of this material on their sales counter for customers. After all, anything that promotes more bowhunting and more bowhunters means more business for them.
Old 08-16-2010, 05:31 PM   #26
BOBSTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtread View Post
Some good ideas here about printed material.....business cards, pamphlets, fliers, etc. to give people.

I know of two archery shops that I frequent that would probably be glad to have some of this material on their sales counter for customers. After all, anything that promotes more bowhunting and more bowhunters means more business for them.

This is how we are going to get the word out. By members letting others know who the Lone Star Bowhunters Association is and what we are about. Anyone wanting pamphlets or fliers, pm me. I can either send you some printed copies in the mail, or I can email you the electronic version and you can print out a few to hand out.
Bob
Old 09-03-2010, 08:03 AM   #27
peon

LSBA Region: 75
Last Activity: 05-07-2011
 @ 09:17 AM 

Has anyone looked at other states bowhunting organizations to see what they are doing. Alot of times good ideas come from looking around to see what others are doing or have done. I just glanced at the Idaho bowhunters organization newsletter and found it interesting. They had articles from each region and a tresuary report. Maybe we could add something like that to the magazine so that members would know where and what their monies go towards. The EC to my understanding gave out funds to a couple of great causes this past month but I did not see it mentioned in the magazine. Maybe it was to late to be in it? Also they published pics of their banquet. I understand all to well about how volunteers make all of this happen and everyone is busy and may not have the time to sit down and write a short article but it was just a thought.
peon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:02 PM   #28
Tomme
Region 78 Rep/Hunt Committee Chairman

Last Activity: 06-13-2015
 @ 08:31 AM 

OK I'll throw in my two cents worth. I've been around since 1990 and was on the EC from 1996 through 2009 in one capacity or another. This comment of someone coming up and saying they'd never heard of the LSBA is not new and there have been a lot of things that have been tried. I agree with Walking Eagle that we are a hard core group. Here's a few thoughts.

1. I hope we can get the Regional/area reps idea to work. Something similar was tried in the mid-1990s and didn't pan out. I think there has to be a local focus. Ducks unlimited and even the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation does a lot better than us. We tried "local chapters" around 2000, again with little success, but we really need something at the local level. Two regional reps in areas that go from just north of Austin to Wichita Falls (note that includes Waco, Dallas, Ft. Worth, Arlington, Denton, etc.) is just an impossible job. Again how does DU do it?

2. Perhaps a focus could be LSBA dinner in each city of each region sponsored by the local archery club, etc. I think we could almost do a "free" dinner with a donations jar. Key would be getting local clubs/folks to do most of the work, but for a free dinner they might. Even if it cost us $200-$300 on each of these, it could be cheap advertising and would help get the word out.

3. If we hook in with archery in the schools, this would be a way to help spread the word over the state.

4. It might be worthwhile to look into an at least one public lands hunt in each region. This could be for hogs, like at Georgetown.

5. Obviously talking this up on every site is a good idea.

6. We need ads in at least the public service part of magazines such as Lone star Outdoor news". Course this means that someone has to do it.

7. I agree that looking at other states could be worthwhile. Louisiana, if I recall correctly has more local reps than we do and it's a much smaller state.

OK, that's a bit of a ramble, but bottom line is that until there is some mid-level structure to LSBA this will always be an issue. Texas is just too big a state. Even if every member of the EC works there tail off, you can't cover it all.

Final word too. We need some mechanism for keeping people involved after they get off of the EC. I know most are tired by then and feel that they've paid their dues, but come on, too many just go away. Today I ran into a past President in the Rockport HEB. Haven't seen of heard of him for over 10 years. When he was no longer on the EC, he vanished. Still think local is the key, but retention is important too.

PS -Treed, you go back a long time, the Bates hunts were in the mid 80s. We do have a big spring hunt for turkey and hogs and have done it for 10 years.
Tomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #29
BOBSTER

Tomme, You are so correct. I wish we still had more of the orginial or past EC members still posting and communicating with the LSBA. I always enjoy your History of LSBA. I have been a member for a long time, but was not active in the LSBA until the last few years.

I would like to remind everyone. You do not have to me on the EC to have an idea and present it. All you have to do is come to a EC meetiing let us know.

Our biggest problems with our fellowship hunts is there is not a lot of places that can get a large group together for a hunt. If someone knows of a place that would like to support a fellowship hunt, contact Brad Adams or Ronny Strickland (Hunt Committee) and lets get some more hunts together.

Last but not least. Who would like to be on the Region 77 committee? All you have to do is let me know, and then we can start getting things done. The biggest thing you need to help me with would be to Spread the Word about the Lone Star Bowhunters Association. That would be by telling everyone that you talk to about the Lone Star Bowhunters Association, getting our application out to the archery shops, and any sporting goods store in and around you. If all possible, help out at some of our youth events. Start signing up new members to the Lone Star Bowhunters Association. We have a yearly membership contest for the person and sponsor that signs up the most members in a year. Normally the prize is a hunt from one of our sponsors. For our sponsor that signs up the most members, recieves a quarter page ad in the magazine.

I guess this is the last, we are sponsoring a school this year with the NASP.

Bob Kana
LSBA Region 77 Rep.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:03 PM   #30
axisbuck24

Last Activity: 07-02-2012
 @ 10:51 PM 

I think lot of great ideas have been proposed. I like the idea of dinners at local level. Meet and greet is how to spread the word along with advertisement.

If you are interested in participating in the Region 78 committee, please contact me or Brad Adams.
axisbuck24 is offline   Reply With Quote