Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
DZaidle

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 09-22-2009
 @ 08:40 AM 
Unhappy The Real Enemy of Bowhunting?

I thought you guys might want to see this letter I received today from a reader (name withheld to forestall discomfort or death):

Dear Sir,

I appreciate your magazine and the quality of stories you have in it each month. I would like to comment however on one of your stories in this months issue titled "Eye level deer hunting" by Lou Marullo.

I am an avid deer hunter and have been in the field since before my 6th birthday, raised in east Texas and taught hunting by my half Cherokee grandfather and my older brother. I was lucky in that we had quite a bit of access to hunting land not only on my grandparents property but all the land around it actually, several thousand acres all together. What I want to say is I consider my self neither professional nor novice but an experienced hunter of most all animals offered in Texas. I presently hunt the central hill country around Lampasas as well as the west Texas area of Winters. I even still get in some east Texas hunts in between my traveling to the other properties in Texas.

I have enjoyed all hunting except bow as I feel it is a skill most people do not or cannot master to a point of accomplishment that will lead to a clean kill, one of our sworn duties as good hunters. i have seen my share of bad shots from hunters and have killed deer in November after bow season with horrid wounds and infected wounds with the arrow still protruding from their bodies. I did the deer a favor and put them out of their misery with one well placed accurate shot. I have been taught this and I have taught my children the same, to respect the game God has given us and not take a chance on wounding one just for sport and that is what most bowhunters are ,just sportsmen and not hunters.

Please try to show a difference between a hunter and a sportsman, a bow is not as lethal nor as accurate as a bullet and if you really put it to the test you will see i am right. I am glad people hunt but they should either hone their skills to the level of a gun hunter or stay home and not possibly wound a trophy buck for no reason except to say i am skilled and it takes a good hunter to get a deer within ten yards and kill it with a bow. I have done this with, bow, pistol and rifle but real skill is hitting a trophy buck at 300 plus yards and having it fall within 30 yards of where you shot it.

If I can't feel confident enough to place my 130 grain 270 bullet in a quarter at 100 yards i could never feel confident bowhunting unless I could do the same at 25 yards. I now argue for the gun hunter and against the bow sportsman. I asked my half Cherokee grandfather a question once when i was a young man. "Grandpa why don't you use a bow to hunt with like your indian brothers did" He answered me with a good answer I have never forgotten," bow hunting is for people who have no better way to harvest game .A sure kill is a gun kill."

Thanks for hearing my opinion and thought maybe you might be able to show a little difference between sportsmen and hunters. I appreciate your time. thank you,

(name withheld)
gun enthusiast and hunter
DZaidle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:15 PM   #2
tinman

LSBA Region: 75
Last Activity: 10-11-2011
 @ 10:21 PM 

Don, have we reached the part where the "crossbow inclusion" crowd that you were such a big part of begins to discredit/threaten bowhunting by raising questions about the effectiveness of archery weapons? I thought you were against "hunters fighting hunters"???

I hope that you, of all people (being a "former bowhunter" in your own words), will defend the effectiveness of traditional & compound archery equipment if you decide to publish this rediculous letter in Texas Fish & Game...

http://www.buffsblackwidow.com/video...compressed.wmv

Send this link to your "anonymous" hater...er, I mean hunter to show him the effectiveness of archery equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZaidle View Post
I thought you guys might want to see this letter I received today from a reader (name withheld to forestall discomfort or death):

Dear Sir,

I appreciate your magazine and the quality of stories you have in it each month. I would like to comment however on one of your stories in this months issue titled "Eye level deer hunting" by Lou Marullo.

I am an avid deer hunter and have been in the field since before my 6th birthday, raised in east Texas and taught hunting by my half Cherokee grandfather and my older brother. I was lucky in that we had quite a bit of access to hunting land not only on my grandparents property but all the land around it actually, several thousand acres all together. What I want to say is I consider my self neither professional nor novice but an experienced hunter of most all animals offered in Texas. I presently hunt the central hill country around Lampasas as well as the west Texas area of Winters. I even still get in some east Texas hunts in between my traveling to the other properties in Texas.

I have enjoyed all hunting except bow as I feel it is a skill most people do not or cannot master to a point of accomplishment that will lead to a clean kill, one of our sworn duties as good hunters. i have seen my share of bad shots from hunters and have killed deer in November after bow season with horrid wounds and infected wounds with the arrow still protruding from their bodies. I did the deer a favor and put them out of their misery with one well placed accurate shot. I have been taught this and I have taught my children the same, to respect the game God has given us and not take a chance on wounding one just for sport and that is what most bowhunters are ,just sportsmen and not hunters.

Please try to show a difference between a hunter and a sportsman, a bow is not as lethal nor as accurate as a bullet and if you really put it to the test you will see i am right. I am glad people hunt but they should either hone their skills to the level of a gun hunter or stay home and not possibly wound a trophy buck for no reason except to say i am skilled and it takes a good hunter to get a deer within ten yards and kill it with a bow. I have done this with, bow, pistol and rifle but real skill is hitting a trophy buck at 300 plus yards and having it fall within 30 yards of where you shot it.

If I can't feel confident enough to place my 130 grain 270 bullet in a quarter at 100 yards i could never feel confident bowhunting unless I could do the same at 25 yards. I now argue for the gun hunter and against the bow sportsman. I asked my half Cherokee grandfather a question once when i was a young man. "Grandpa why don't you use a bow to hunt with like your indian brothers did" He answered me with a good answer I have never forgotten," bow hunting is for people who have no better way to harvest game .A sure kill is a gun kill."

Thanks for hearing my opinion and thought maybe you might be able to show a little difference between sportsmen and hunters. I appreciate your time. thank you,

(name withheld)
gun enthusiast and hunter
BTW, I didn't read the article mentioned by this guy so forgive me for having to ask but was there something published within the article that made this guy respond to it this way?
"Today there is no need to battle with the beasts of prey and little necessity to kill wild animals for food; but still the instinct persists. The love of the chase still thrills us and all the misty past echoes with the hunters call."

Saxton Pope

Last edited by tinman; 09-21-2009 at 11:40 PM..
tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 05:45 AM   #3
biggen
LSBA Hall of Fame/Hunt Committee

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 04-04-2018
 @ 07:54 PM 

Everybody has the right to their opinion! Even if it is wrong!!
Psalm 64:7
biggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:34 AM   #4
DZaidle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman View Post
Don, have we reached the part where the "crossbow inclusion" crowd that you were such a big part of begins to discredit/threaten bowhunting by raising questions about the effectiveness of archery weapons? I thought you were against "hunters fighting hunters"???
Well, I don't know how the crossbow thing got into this. I just thought the letter was absurd and that other bowhunters would be interested in seeing it. Why you think this somehow diminishes my opposition to "hunters fighting hunters" is beyond me. If anything, it reinforces it.

Quote:
I hope that you, of all people (being a "former bowhunter" in your own words), will defend the effectiveness of traditional & compound archery equipment if you decide to publish this rediculous letter in Texas Fish & Game...
My thinking is that publishing the letter is itself a defense of bowhunting. Give a fool enough rope, and all that.

Quote:
BTW, I didn't read the article mentioned by this guy so forgive me for having to ask but was there something published within the article that made this guy respond to it this way?
Nope. It is a straight-up how-to article about ground blinds, natural and man-made. The author of the letter just seems ignorant about bowhunting.

DZ

Last edited by DZaidle; 09-22-2009 at 07:47 AM..
Old 09-22-2009, 07:43 AM   #5
swat791

@ 06:00 PM 

Hmmmm....interesting letter.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:05 AM   #6
Mike Murphey

Last Activity: 06-01-2012
 @ 08:45 AM 

After reading this, it appears to me that this person is not educated in the process of bowhunting. There are hundreds of thousands of animals taken each year with bow and arrow, (see the web site of Pope and Young Club). The bow and arrow has been matched between rifle hunters, (pistols included) and archers in controlled hunts and it has been proven each time that bowhunters have a lower wounding rate than gun hunters. I my experience of bowhunting since 1972 I have never seen a deer with an arrow sticking out of it nor have I seen a deer with a wound from an arrow that has not been healed up within a matter of days. I'm not sure why Mr. Zaidle would wish to persue this letter to this web site except for some odd reason to rile bowhunters up and create an environment of anger within the ranks of bowhunters and further create an air of controversary amoung hunters......
Mike Murphey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:18 AM   #7
DZaidle

Gentlemen:

My intent in posting this letter was to share, inform, and discuss. Since it appears it has been interpreted as rabbble-rousing, I apologize for offending. I will certainly refrain from doing so again.

DZ
Old 09-22-2009, 09:15 AM   #8
Ronny
LSBA Region 75 Rep/Hunt Committee

Last Activity: 06-09-2016
 @ 05:36 AM 

I would like to challange this man to a shoot-off. I will shoot my bow at 25 yds and he can shoot his rifle at 100yds and lets see who gets the best groups. Free hand of course.
Thanks for posting, some hunters just don't get it ( gun hunters) and I did'nt say all just some.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:17 AM   #9
tinman

Last Activity: 10-11-2011
 @ 10:21 PM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZaidle View Post
Well, I don't know how the crossbow thing got into this. I just thought the letter was absurd....
Don, sorry for the BIG leap to the "crossbow thing" but if you search your own post-history around here that is the ONLY other time that you've participated here....to let us know how wrong we are about that issue. Now, I'm not holding that against you, but coming here to spread "bad news for bowhunters" is a pattern.

As to the letter being "absurd", I agree...and if you feel that way then why share/publish it at all??? Far be it for me to tell you how to do your job, but I think that to publish this trash "open-ended" (without any response from the Editor or Bowhunting Editor in support of archery weapons) would be a detriment and could effect how some view bowhunting.

JMO buddy.
"Today there is no need to battle with the beasts of prey and little necessity to kill wild animals for food; but still the instinct persists. The love of the chase still thrills us and all the misty past echoes with the hunters call."

Saxton Pope
tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:10 PM   #10
DoubleJ

Last Activity: 06-16-2014
 @ 08:09 AM 

Don,

Thank you for posting the letter. It serves as a great reminder to us all that regardless how hard we try we still will be perceived poorly in some circles. We must always be ethical bowhunters and hold those that hunt with us to the same standard.

I too hate to see hunter vs hunter although it happens occassionally. But with the current Administration loaded with anti-hunters we will all have to pull together to survive.

Thanks again.

Jack Jetton

LSBA Life Member
TBoT Life Member
TBA Member
P & Y Associate Member
NRA Benefactor Life Member
TSRA Endowment Life Member
IBEP Master Instructor
DoubleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:00 PM   #11
LostHawg

Last Activity: 07-30-2018
 @ 05:37 AM 

Does this mean I have to return all my deer and hogs?

Old coot in training
LostHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:49 PM   #12
Death from Above

Last Activity: 02-01-2016
 @ 01:37 PM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostHawg View Post
Does this mean I have to return all my deer and hogs?

I with Tracy on this one.
John 3:16
Death from Above is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:04 PM   #13
biggen
LSBA Hall of Fame/Hunt Committee

Last Activity: 04-04-2018
 @ 07:54 PM 

Glad to hear from you again Lost! Thought I might actually pass you by on post counts?
Psalm 64:7
biggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:22 PM   #14
LostHawg

Last Activity: 07-30-2018
 @ 05:37 AM 

Its been kinda crazy this year...

Old coot in training
LostHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:02 PM   #15
Chunky

Last Activity: 11-19-2013
 @ 08:41 PM 

I didn't take the letter as "rabel rousing". I don't mind dicussions and opinions that disagree with my own. It is unfortuate that it is done by third party, as it would be better between individuals.

While a gun is more accurate than even the best bow, no one with experience can doubt the effectiveness of archery equipment. My guess is if you put 25 random bowhunters shooting at 25 yards, vs 25 gun hunters shooting at 300 yards (as suggested as a good range)...the bowhunters would win every time....and I would back that up with cash!

The other point that is way off base is the claim that animals are running around with terrible wounds and arrows sticking out of the them to be killed by gun hunters late in the year. This is a total fabrication and anyone who hunts knows this. That is not to say that bowhunters never wound anything...hey it happens. Like all types of hunting gun included...but the deer almost always either heal, or die in the a few days. I have never, ever, seen a a deer with a arrow sticking out of it.

This is an interesting thread....and that is good.

Buff's so deadly...filming him killed my camera!
Chunky is offline   Reply With Quote