Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > Hunting Stories
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2007, 09:04 AM   #1
2Racks

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 11-25-2008
 @ 02:18 PM 
Default Ton's of FIRST TIMES!!!

I didn't know you could squeeze so many first into such a short amount of time. To start this is my first time to ever have my own spot on the lease. Up until now its always been Tim's lease and I took one off his # he was aloud to take. Then its my first time to hunt on an opening weekend. The morning starts off with me ready to go but waiting on 2 others to get moving so I can drop them off on the way to my stand. I was wanting to be in the stand no later then 6:30 but it turned out to be 7:00 before I actually got there and the feeder has already gone off. As I walked up all I can see in the distance is a big something leaping away from the feeder. DANG!! There went my chance at a deer this morning, I thought to myself. I found out later when I check my trail cam that this is what I scared off as I walked in.

I got the camera all set up just after 7:00 and still thinking I blew my only chance at getting a deer on opening morning. As I sit there thinking about how bad I was in need of a weedeater cause I couldn't see the corn on the ground under my blind the grass had grown alot since the last time I was out there a couple of weekends ago, I see ears in the distance. Before I even got the camera turned on the ears were gone. Really discouraged now, thinking even if something were to come in could I see it?!?! It seemed like no time at all when I saw a big doe come in from the right. Shortly behind here followed in 2 small doe. The grass between me and the blind was only letting me see the tops of the little ones backs. A second larger doe came in back behind the feeder as I was watching the large doe as she moved into a more open area off to the side of the feeder. I decided to go ahead and pull back on the first large doe that had walked in that morning. The addrenalin was pumping so hard I sat there at full draw for several minutes waiting for her to get at a good angle and I never even thought about letting down. She finally turned and that arrow went flying. OH MY I am shaking as I write this now. THWACK!!!!! This is where the first times all hit. This was my first time to hunt my own spot on the lease on my first time to hunt an opening weekend. My first time to use Rage broadheads. My first time to shoot at something with my Elite ICE. My first time ever to get a WhiteTail with a bow and to top it all off this was my first time ever to shoot a doe! Needless to say I didn't sit in the stand for to long cause I was about to wet myself!

As I sat there waiting to give her some time I did all my dialog for the video. As I wrap up the yaking I glance at the time it is exactly 7:30 according to my cell. I sit until 7:45 ....I just can't hold it any longer. I get out and snap a shot of of the blood red grass where that doe had stood and sent it to tim.

As we looked threw trail cam pix we noticed this one that was taken only moments before I had shot. These are the 2 little does that followed mine in.

We had a great blood trail, she took us on a couple of U-turns, we found my arrow...then the trail was gone. We searched and searched. The grass in some areas is over Tim's head but we weren't giving up. With Tim only about 10 feet from me, I walked the fence line to see if she had crossed the road. As I was pushing my way threw the waist high grass right on the fence looking for blood I hear the most sweet words....."I almost stepped on her!" I ran over in slow motion threw all the weeds, there she laid not even 35 yards behind my blind.

Forgive the pic, I had the sun right in my face and no make-up.

Last edited by 2Racks; 10-01-2007 at 09:09 AM..
2Racks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:53 AM   #2
LostHawg

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 07-30-2018
 @ 05:37 AM 

Hey, that's a nice doe. Can't help but be proud of that. Good job. Enjoy the fries.

Old coot in training
LostHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:46 AM   #3
artisticwildlife
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to artisticwildlife
Last Activity: 06-06-2008
 @ 04:51 PM 

Awesome.. Awesome.. Awesome!!!! Congrats!
artisticwildlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
BOBSTER
Texas Bowhunting & Bowfishing Records Chairman

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 06-03-2021
 @ 08:08 PM 

Congrats on a very nice doe and great recap. Bob
Old 10-04-2007, 07:07 PM   #5
Ronny
LSBA Region 75 Rep/Hunt Committee

LSBA Region: 75
Last Activity: 06-09-2016
 @ 05:36 AM 

Way to go I hope you keep having fun.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:52 PM   #6
tinman

LSBA Region: 75
Last Activity: 10-11-2011
 @ 10:21 PM 

Congrats on #1 of many!
"Today there is no need to battle with the beasts of prey and little necessity to kill wild animals for food; but still the instinct persists. The love of the chase still thrills us and all the misty past echoes with the hunters call."

Saxton Pope
tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:47 PM   #7
BUFF
Just Me

Last Activity: 02-24-2016
 @ 02:07 PM 

Attaboy!!!!!
BUFF is offline   Reply With Quote