Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-16-2011, 01:00 PM   #136
AWMiller

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 09-29-2012
 @ 09:04 PM 

Coppers Best Extra Stout
Coopers Brewery Limited | Leabrook, Australia
Purchased @ the Flying Saucer - Addison, Texas USA

Style: Foreign|Export Stout

ABV - 6.3%

My personal notes: This brew poured up a rich, jet-black body with a one-finger thick tan-colored head with good retention and excellent lacing effects on the glass. Aromas of licorice, chocolate, espresso, and burnt sugars. Flavors of the same but also include vanilla and a little bit of hops for a nice clean bite on the finish. Medium-bodied, very creamy, and easy to drink with no harsh bitterness or aftertaste. Choice cuts of meat either grilled or smoked would be the prime pairing for this hearty Aussie brew! The trick for this brew is all in the pour; there are some sediments (not to worry as these are naturally occurring and won’t harm in any way) in the bottle and when poured right the brew comes out perfect! First, pour about 3/4 of the bottle into your glass. Swirl the remaining portion in the bottle a few times and then slowly pour off into your glass taking care to keep the sediment near the back and not flowing into your glass.
AWMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:02 PM   #137
AWMiller

Stone Highway 78 Scotch Ale
Stone Brewing Co. | Escondido, California USA
Purchased @ the Flying Saucer - Addison, Texas USA

Style: Scotch Ale | Wee Heavy

ABV - 8.8%

My personal notes: Now this is one collaboration brew that is just stellar! This brew poured up a dark amber body with a nice tan-colored foamy head with great retention and lacing effects on the glass. Aromas of caramel, sugary candy, hops, toffee, scotch. Flavors of the same but this one has a delicious hint of smoke snuck in! Can also detect either figs or well-aged raisins. Medium-bodied and so very creamy and smooth. Definitely a sipping beer. Awesome all by itself or paired up with some spicy fish tacos or beef fajitas!
Old 06-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #138
AWMiller

Jester King Black Metal
Jester King Craft Brewery | Austin, Texas USA
Purchased @ Lone Star Beverages - Carrollton, Texas USA

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

ABV - 10.4%

IBU - 60

My personal notes: Them boys were not jestering around when they made this amazing stout! Chilled it overnight in the fridge and then took it out to sit for an hour. This brew poured up a dark black body with a mocha-colored, thick, foamy head with unending retention and lacing effects on the glass. Aromas of roasted nuts, hops, coffee, toffee, and alcohol. Flavors of the same. Medium-bodied and very rich and creamy. Smooth finish with just a tinge of hops for a nice subtle bite; no harsh aftertaste. Don’t ruin the flavors of this hearty brew! Enjoy it all by itself!
Old 06-16-2011, 01:07 PM   #139
AWMiller

Lagunitas Wilco Tango Foxtrot (WTF) Ale
Lagunitas Brewing Company | Petaluma, California USA

Style: American Strong Ale

ABV - 7.83%

IBU - 64

My personal notes: Well of the Lagunitas line-up, this is the first brew that I’ve tried that has brought about some respects! This brew poured up a deep, dark brown body with one-finger thick head that dissipated quickly but left some nice lacing effects on the glass. Aromas of hops (I think I’ve mentioned on other reviews that Lagunitas is a hop-machine!), caramel, and brown sugar; but not sweet at all. Flavors of the same but surprisingly the hops used in this style are not nearly as bitter as compared to other brews in their line. Medium-bodied with a firm hoppy bite on the finish but nothing overbearing. Would go well with a porterhouse steak or perhaps a venison or wild boar meal.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:09 PM   #140
AWMiller

Squatters India Pale Ale
Utah Brewers Cooperative | Salt Lake City, Utah USA
Purchased @ Beer & Wine World - Mansfield, Texas USA

Style: IPA

ABV - 6%

My personal notes: I have found an IPA that I truly enjoy and that’s why it’s going into my BHoF!! For those that know me, I’m a malt-head diligently working to gain an appreciation for IPAs. Squatters has just proved to be the ones that will definitely help me down the hops-path! This brew poured up an amber colored body with a foamy off-white colored head with outstanding retention and lacing effects on the glass. Aromas of grapefruit, lemon-grass, pine, and hops. Flavors of the same but all so very well balanced that the character of this brew is so hard to describe adequately. There’s a slight sweet malty hit on the finish that brings the flavors of this brew full circle! No harsh aftertaste and a very clean and refreshing finish. Pair this brew up with spicy fish/seafood dishes or with some smoked salmon. For wild game this would pair well with duck, pheasant, quail, squirrel, and spicy venison.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #141
AWMiller

Squatters Hop Rising Double IPA
Squatters Pub Brewery | Salt Lake City, Utah USA

Style: Double|Imperial IPA

ABV - 9%

My personal notes: This brew poured up a dark orange colored body with a hefty, frothy off-white head with generous retention and amazing lacing effects on the glass. Aromas of grapefruit (a hint of lemon perhaps?), floral hops, and spices. Flavors of the same. Medium-bodied and whoa buddy, hoppy! For me this was a mouth-puckering experience but a delicious one all the same. For hop-heads you will definitely enjoying this fine brew! Nice dry finish with no harsh aftertastes. Pair it up with some spicy fish/seafood meals or with some smoked salmon, roasted duck, or spicy venison sausage!
Old 06-16-2011, 08:22 PM   #142
AWMiller

Stone Smoked Porter
Stone Brewing Co. | Escondido, California USA

Style: Smoked Porter

ABV - 5.9%

My personal notes: A mighty fine smoked porter! This brew poured up a dark ruby-brown colored body with a nice, foamy mocha-colored head with good retention and amazing lacing effects on the glass. Aromas of heavy cream, coffee, sugars, chocolate and sweet malt. Flavors of the same but light hints of smoke and roasted malts mix in at the finish. Medium- to Full-bodied, thick and creamy; definitely not a brew for those that don’t like big thick brews; somewhat chewy and that’s the way I like them! Hit the smoker and pull off some slow-smoked ribs or some hearty venison steaks or wild boar burgers for an excellent pairing with this brew!
Old 06-16-2011, 08:32 PM   #143
AWMiller

New Belgium La Folie (Lips of Faith) 2011
New Belgium Brewing | Fort Collins, Colorado USA

Style: Flanders Red Ale

ABV - 6%

My personal notes: This brew poured up a rich, dark amber colored body sporting a hearty foamy head that quickly dissipated but left a thin sheen on top to form out some amazing lacing effects on the glass. Aromas rich with cherries and sour mash, oak and clover. Flavors of sour cherries (really sour cherries), oak, spices, and clover. Did I mention this bugger was sour?! All flavors are well-balance but it’s the ‘sour’ that you better get prepared for! Medium-bodied with a spicy, sour finish; but very, very refreshing. Pair this sour brew with a thick, juicy grilled steak!
Old 06-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #144
AWMiller

Wasatch Winterfest

Style: American Strong Ale

ABV - 7.1%

My personal notes: This brew poured up dark chestnut brown body with a thin foamy head with great retention and lacing effects on the glass. Aromas of toasted malts, toffee, caramel, chocolate, and a hint of hops. Flavors of the same with all being well-balanced and enticing one to savor slowly. Medium-bodied with a nice dry finish with just a touch of hoppy bitterness on the end. Excellent for the wintertime by the roaring fire but definitely one that can be enjoyed anytime of the year! This is one brew that is meant to be enjoyed all by itself. Paired up with any foods and you will just distort the flavors and textures that this brew imparts.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #145
AWMiller

Wasatch The Devastator Double Bock

Style: Doppelbock

ABV - 8%

My personal notes: Oh what a silky smooth double bock; worthy of induction into the AW BHoF! This brew poured up a rich mahogany-colored body with a one-finger off-white bubbly head that dissipated quickly but left amazing lacing effects on the glass. Aromas caramel, toasted malts, warm biscuits (Hungry Jack style), cocoa powder (like Nestles Quik) and a light hint of espresso. Flavors of the same but oh so wonderfully balanced. Medium-bodied, lightly carbonated, and goes down real smooth with no bitter aftertastes. Easy to drink so keep an eye on how many you have had! Pair this brew up with a wild game dinner (rattlesnake, venison, wild boar, or a hearty squirrel stew).
Old 06-16-2011, 08:43 PM   #146
AWMiller

Pyramid Snow Cap Ale (2009)
Pyramid Breweries, Inc. | Seattle, Washington USA

Style: Winter Warmer

ABV - 7%

My personal notes: A very nice competitor in the winter warmer category! This brew poured up a dark chocolaty brown body with a thin off-white colored bubbly head that quickly dissipated and left marginal lacing effects on the glass. Aromas of dark fruits (figs, raisins, plums), chocolate, espresso, caramel, roasted malts. Flavors of the same with just the right amount of hops to balance out with all that sweetness. Medium-bodied with low carbonation; easy to drink so watch how many you put down! Pair this sweet ale up with a hearty wild game dinner; spicy pheasant fajitas, stuffed pheasant, or roasted duck.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:17 AM   #147
AWMiller

Celis White
Michigan Brewing Company | Webberville, Michigan USA

Style: Witbier

ABV - 5%

My personal notes: Now this is one good witbier! This brew poured up a hazy, pale yellow body with a thick frothy bright white head with good retention and lacing effects on the glass. Aromas of lemons, orange, grains, and some yeast in the background. Flavors of citrusy fruits, spices (cloves and cinnamon), wheat grains, mixed nuts. Light-bodied, smooth and creamy, refreshing finish. Excellent when paired up with spicy fish/shellfish dinners.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #148
AWMiller

Green Flash Double Stout
Green Flash Brewing Co. | Vista, California USA

Style: Imperial/Double Stout

ABV - 8.8%

My personal notes: Definitely one of the best tasting stouts around! This brew poured up a near-black body with a one-finger bubbly head with amazing retention and lacing effects on the glass. Aromas of rum, vanilla, chocolate, espresso, dark fruits (plums, figs), roasted malts. Flavors of the same but are so well-balanced. Medium- to Full-bodied, rich and thick, smooth and creamy. Refreshingly clean finish with no harsh aftertastes whatsoever. Personally I would enjoy this brew all by itself; but if paired up for a meal it would be smoked ribs, venison, or wild boar.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:34 AM   #149
AWMiller

Breckenridge Avalanche Amber
Breckenridge Brewery | Denver, Colorado USA

Style: American Amber/Red Ale

ABV - 5.41%

My personal notes: Definitely going to be a staple brew in my fridge! This brew poured up a dark copper-colored body with a two-finger thick foamy head that dissipated somewhat quickly and left nice lacing effects on the glass. Aromas of oranges, dark sugars, caramel. Flavors of the same but they are very, very intense and well-balanced. Light- to medium-bodied, lightly carbonated, smooth and easy to drink with a crisp, clean finish with just a slight bite. Excellent when paired up with a spicy, creamy fish/shellfish meal or creamy beef and noodle dinner.
Old 06-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #150
AWMiller

Anchor Steam Beer
Anchor Brewing Company | San Francisco, California USA

Style: California Common / Steam Beer

ABV - 4.9%

My personal notes: Now this is one jim-dandy of a brew! This brew poured up a hazy copper-colored body with a wonderfully thick, off-white colored head with good retention and lacing effects on the glass. Aromas of malts, caramel, citrus fruits (lemons, and maybe some orange). Flavors of the same in a malty concoction that beckons you to take the next sip just as soon as you finish one. Medium-bodied, full-flavored with a dry finish and citrusy aftertaste. Grill up a nice spicy rack of pork to pair up with this amazing brew; or grill some fish or shrimp!

Interesting note: Early steam beers were brewed with lager yeasts, but fermented at warmer temperatures due to the lack of means to cool the tanks in California’s warm climate (back in the late 1800s). Cooling was brought about by the use of wide, shallow fermenting vessels. The resulting beer was very lively and, when the casks were tapped, they were said to “steam” with carbon dioxide. Source: Beers of the World; Kanning, David