Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-26-2008, 08:51 AM   #46
LostHawg

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 07-30-2018
 @ 05:37 AM 

They're working on Ohio right now. There's a big discussion on it on the Ohio forum of the Bowsite.

OBA Crossbow discussion

Old coot in training

Last edited by LostHawg; 07-26-2008 at 08:53 AM..
LostHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 02:09 PM   #47
Huntinfool

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 09-07-2010
 @ 04:12 PM 

Years ago a group of individuals got together and petitioned TPWD for an archery only season. It was granted and it is still here today. Why do the X-bow people or manufactures feel that they should get this season and we the archers should move to another set of dates? Why don't they petition for their own dates?

I like the archery only season and do not want to share it with crossbows, except for in the case of a handicap. That said why not have the archery only season stay the same and at the end of the regular season have an archery and crossbow only season? Seems this would benefit everyone. I know this is an older thread, however we are faced with this challenge every year around this time. I think the faster we get this resolved the faster we can just get on getting on.
Huntinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:00 AM   #48
Bossbowman

Last Activity: 09-19-2017
 @ 02:40 PM 

Quote:
I've been a long time member of the "other" forum and it no doubt has/had some good folks that contributed enjoyable dialog over the years but I've lost any interest with it due to the above mentioned problem. The site is so much different then it was when it first started. My opinion (and it's nothing more) is that the site drifted away from it's roots. It failed to organize the board in a manner that prevented post about a guys wife leaving him next to a post about tuning a bow. I would rather read about doctor deer than doctor Phil.

I log on to read, discuss, learn and enjoy bowhunting related matters. Over a year ago I contacted Tinman via email & PM about the initial push to get crossbows into the archery season. I also posted on the other board with the intention to generate interest in countering the crossbow effort. I was basically electronically stoned to death and the primary rock thrower was a moderator. I gave up.

I'm glad to see THIS site improve so much. Someone has done a great job. I rarely post anymore but enjoy checking in and catching up from time to time. Keep up the fight against the crossbow manufactures and don't fall for that "your just an elitist" or "your not united" BS.
I don't post over there anymore either, everyone needs to be prepared, the day is coming and we need to be ready for this fight. This is about nothing more than $$$ for the Xbow companies, for crying out loud you can use a draw-lok during october legally, this is something too I would like to see the LSBA petition to ban.
Bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:09 AM   #49
tinman

LSBA Region: 75
Last Activity: 10-11-2011
 @ 10:21 PM 

I agree, we cannot ignore this issue...it will be back. I wish we had the time and manpower to compete with the force the x-bow manufacturers put into their effort each year. We need the NBEF/BRC/IBO/P&Y to produce a positive video for all the State Bowhunting Org's to use to combat their annual $$$$ spent by the x-bow manufacturers.

I know, Trey...there are no x-bow lobbyist registered in Austin.

I encourage you LSBA members (who no longer post on the biggest bowhunting site in Texas) to stay involved there. Great group of people there and a very large group of dedicated bowhunters. Though we may not always agree with everyone, we're all brothers of the bow and we should represent the LSBA to the best of our abilities where ever bowhunters gather...on this topic, while I won't censor my feelings, I will try to better represent in the future.
"Today there is no need to battle with the beasts of prey and little necessity to kill wild animals for food; but still the instinct persists. The love of the chase still thrills us and all the misty past echoes with the hunters call."

Saxton Pope

Last edited by tinman; 08-01-2008 at 12:12 AM..
tinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:40 AM   #50
2050z
Banquet Co-Chairperson

Last Activity: 05-30-2014
 @ 07:18 PM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman View Post
I agree, we cannot ignore this issue...it will be back. I wish we had the time and manpower to compete with the force the x-bow manufacturers put into their effort each year. We need the NBEF/BRC/IBO/P&Y to produce a positive video for all the State Bowhunting Org's to use to combat their annual $$$$ spent by the x-bow manufacturers.

I know, Trey...there are no x-bow lobbyist registered in Austin.

I encourage you LSBA members (who no longer post on the biggest bowhunting site in Texas) to stay involved there. Great group of people there and a very large group of dedicated bowhunters. Though we may not always agree with everyone, we're all brothers of the bow and we should represent the LSBA to the best of our abilities where ever bowhunters gather...on this topic, while I won't censor my feelings, I will try to better represent in the future.

NBEF has a safety course for X bows. Their goal is to promote safey with all equipment.
And God Bless

Sticks N'Limbs Owner
Carson Optics Pro Staff
Bear Archery Pro Staff
2050z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:51 AM   #51
LostHawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman View Post
I agree with Joey here. It may tend to get cliquish over there, but that's just a select few. There are a couple thousand others or more who are NOT in that clique.

Everytime I start to badmouth the second biggest traditional site, I have to remind myself of this. I forget sometimes though... Prolly why I'm in banned camp.

Old coot in training
Old 08-02-2008, 10:46 AM   #52
traildust

Last Activity: 10-04-2016
 @ 04:46 PM 

Wow..There are more x-bow hunters than bow hunters....Funny, I can honestly say I personally dont know a single X-bow hunter...Wonder where they came up with those numbers? I'm calling BS.....Fear Tactic
Old 08-03-2008, 05:46 AM   #53
Pick A Spot

Last Activity: 03-16-2012
 @ 03:12 AM 

[QUOTE=LostHawg;13823]I agree with Joey here. It may tend to get cliquish over there, but that's just a select few. There are a couple thousand others or more who are NOT in that clique.

I agree with that. The good guys far out weigh the bad.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:30 PM   #54
bustedassranch

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 04-06-2010
 @ 11:26 AM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostHawg View Post
I agree with Joey here. It may tend to get cliquish over there, but that's just a select few. There are a couple thousand others or more who are NOT in that clique.

Everytime I start to badmouth the second biggest traditional site, I have to remind myself of this. I forget sometimes though... Prolly why I'm in banned camp.
I have seen a glimpse of a clique here..I think it will happen anywhere you have so many people spending that much time together (work, church, wherever)
As for the original topic. I have voiced my opinion on that till I was blue in the face & will prepare myself to do it again!
bustedassranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:16 AM   #55
Huntinfool

I've been talking to a friend that just moved from Alabama, he said that they went through the same problems there. Finally the cross bows were allowed during the archery season. Crossbow sales went through the roof. The next year they were flooded with used crossbows as most hunters gave up on it.

He did suggest that if we as the united front of bowhunting in Texas (LSBA) don't get together and do something that this will happen. Possibly one of the best things we can do is to allow crossbows during the archery only season. I know, I know... But hear me out. TPWD's last voting session this was not in effect because of one vote. Which means that it is more than likely going to happen. So why don't we allow the crossbows, but put an age restriction on them, say anyone over 60 years old. That way we give them essentially what they want with out losing. I know that this is a drastic measure, but it maight be the only way to keep them from the season, in big numbers. This is just a thought, and I am in no way saying that I want them in our season, but it seems that TPWD is more than likely going to allow them (the draw loc is legal now and we fought it and lost) so why not at least have some sort of effect on the legislation that will impact the future.

I know...I'm off to banned camp.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:22 AM   #56
LostHawg

Nope, you're not off to banned camp. Your opinion is welcome and appreciated.

Actually, crossbows ARE already allowed in archery season with conditions. Those with upper limb disabilities can use them. If one thinks it takes a crossbow for them to enjoy the archery season, they should see a doctor and get a letter like the law says. Now, Draw-Locs, on the other hand, are unrestricted.

Old coot in training
Old 08-13-2008, 07:07 PM   #57
DoubleJ

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 06-16-2014
 @ 08:09 AM 

The issue was not being considered last time by TPW but by our legislature. The vote was a single vote short to get it out of committee in the Senate.

Since there is no longer a minimum draw weight for archery equipment what would be the excuse to allow crossbows in the archery only season?

Jack Jetton

LSBA Life Member
TBoT Life Member
TBA Member
P & Y Associate Member
NRA Benefactor Life Member
TSRA Endowment Life Member
IBEP Master Instructor
DoubleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:37 PM   #58
Huntinfool

Jack I hadn't even thought about that. You're right. I forgot that they were doing away with the minimum draw weight. With that gone there shouldn't be any reason for them to want or need x bows in the archery only season.