Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-09-2004, 01:26 PM   #1
Beleg

LSBA Region: 75
Last Activity: 09-12-2017
 @ 08:41 PM 
Default Another Attack on Bowfishing

A group of anglers are trying to get gar designated as game fish in order to protect this fish from bowfishing. Here is a petition against designating gar as game fish. If you agree with the petition, leave you signature.

http://www.petitiononline.com/AG062904/petition.html

Bowfishermen have been under serious attack recently from several areas.

1. A couple of different catch and release carp angler groups are trying to stop bowfishing on Lower Colorado River Authority lakes.

2. The Austin City Council is considering a proposal to stop bowfishing on two Austin lakes that are within the city limits. Once again this is being driven by the catch and release carp anglers.

3. Gar anglers are attempting to have TPWD designate gar as game fish to stop bowfishing for this species.

Each of us needs to do all we can to stop these attacks on bowfishing. When bowfishing is banned, what do you think they will go after next?

Bob Wright
Old 07-09-2004, 03:06 PM   #2
bboswell

Last Activity: 01-29-2006
 @ 01:31 PM 

This is hard to believe. I have the same feelings about this as I did about the Carp deal a couple of weeks ago.

There needs to be some thought given to how many people actually go Gar fishing or Carp fishing; compare these findings to how many people bow fish and consider not only the econonomic impact this will have but also the ecological impact to the fish that REALLY ARE GAME FISH.

Got any idea how much is spent on airboats, arrows, generators etc or how many of these preditory fish are taken out of rivers and lakes by Bowfishing?

Bboswell
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 11:00 PM   #3
shank

Send a message via Yahoo to shank
Last Activity: 09-20-2007
 @ 07:19 AM 

Are these people smokin crack? There's a slogan going around called "Off the streets & On the Creeks" Maybe they should put down the crackpipe long enough to catch one of these critters. If your lucky enough without getting your bait stolen & tackle shredded!

They compete for the same foodsource as the more popular gamefish (Bass and Catfish). I would like to see a revenue report for "Gar Enthusiast" vs. "Bass Enthusiast". Now subtract the revenue from the bowfishermen and the total will most likely come out to $0.

When was the last time you saw rows and rows of expensive lures and hundreds of specialized rods dedicated to catching a Gar (Not Shooting), A Magazine, tournaments and thousands of members Nation and Worldwide in pursuit of this species (I'm referring to B.A.S.S.) Numerous Boat brands in all sizes, price ranges, horsepower and hull materials designing specialized lines of boats in pursuit a Gar? YOU DON'T! AND THERE IS A REASON!

If Gar are upgraded to Gamefish status....... I can only envision the results.

The word "Gamefish" brings visions of grandeur, grace, majesty, beauty and pursuit. Have these people caught a gar on hook & line? better question is have they taken a close look at these hideous creatures?? Better yet, If you get your hands on a good size one (5lb+) cut it's belly open and check the contents. Your going to find remains of Perch, Minnows, Shad, Small gamefish (Bass & Crappie) and anything else they can get into thier snout.

Protect the Gar? Why not protect your moneymakers (Edible Gamefish, Bass, Crappie, Catfish) and Keep Gar "Hunting" a legitamate sport that generates revenue! :shock:
shank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 11:00 PM   #4
shank

Are these people just stupid? GRRRRRrrrrrrrr........... :x
Old 10-09-2004, 11:02 PM   #5
shank

Now that my bloodpressure has resided & I posted my response, I think I need a new keyboard after pounding the keys soo hard!