Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-13-2008, 07:14 AM   #1
timhicks

Last Activity: 06-24-2011
 @ 01:48 PM 
Default Texas shootout

Sorry I didnt post earlier I have had some very special people at my house this week which I think a few may know who they are.
Lets see where to start, we got in line about 11:30 Tuesday night and were about a mile and half back..considering a hotel but slept in the truck. After waking up at my usual 4 am I watched the Bourne Ultimatum and loved it. Ok so the line starts moving at about 8 am and we pretty quickly trickle into the ranch. After meeting a few new friends and a few old friends we find our camping spot and dump all our gear bows included and go out to bait our spots. Upon arriving at our special pasture we split off on 4 wheelers with bags of corn to bait our holes. I drive down the first sendaro and bam a pack of Javelinas 20 yards to my left. I quickly corned that place and lookedback and they were out on my corn.
I baitled my usual octopus and flagged accordingly. Everyone in my group saw some javelinas and we went back and set up camp. After a good meal and alot of cold beer I called home and realized how much I missed the kids and wife already. Thusday morning started off very cold and didnt seee a javelina till about 2 then the fun started I stalked and stalked getting 50 yards and the darn things were winding me and I was downwind.
Ok Thursday eveing hunt I have an attack plan for some feral hogs. I take Wes and a another first timer down a fence row and tell them the hogs will come out right down here.
Sure enough at about 6 I hear the growl of a big boar and he comes into the sendaro 25 yards sees me and comes around me and the guys. Then like ants out of a mound they start coming out single file and start sucking up the corn. I start my stalk and had an easy 10 yard shot on a dalmation hog but I wanted the big black one of the group. I crunch a little on some dry gass and I get busted well the big one turns away from me and I range her at 50 yards. She walks a bit closer and turns the right way as the rest of the pack knows something is up. I draw and release watching my arrow hit or miss..I heard it hit but then questioned myself. She busts it for about 30 yards as my Shuttle tlock had hit her. then I notice she stumbeld a bit. I go right over and try to recover my brand new arrow and cannot find it anywhere..I cant find blood. I walk back and and try to find where she stumbled and cant find blood..So I walk back as its dark and I dont want to get in trouble for coming in to late..got stopped by Raccon Ranger last year for coming in late and didnt want the strip search again.
The next day I am at my spot in the morning and hear the coyotes over about 70 yards and fighting and making a ruccus so I try to stalk in and shoot one only to see one yote in my hawglite at 30 yards but to thick to shoot. I stand till daylight to realize I have pieces of my hog laying all over the place by me. In other words I should have looked harder. i still did not find my arrow.This day going to be good as Wes gets his first ever bow kill. Will scores, Daniel scores,Chase scores,I score andthe long day is over by the way same group of hogs come out again minus the big black one and Wes makes a stalk to try and kill one and he gets about 40 yards and not shot. Sorry try to shorten this up a bit..I thnk everyone in our group scored at least once Chase is 11 and got his first javelina and Jason is 12 and got his first kill as well.What a great year. I have a few pics before the camera went dead.

Pro staff TimH@hawglite.com
timhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 09:57 AM   #2
txhunter
Administrator

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 09-12-2016
 @ 08:05 PM 

Good stuff Tim. Congrats. Of the 6 in our group, only 1 of us got one. We all had shots but they weren't very good ones. It was a good time anyways.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:48 PM   #3
Ronny
LSBA Region 75 Rep/Hunt Committee

LSBA Region: 75
Last Activity: 06-09-2016
 @ 05:36 AM 

Congrats on a good hunt
Old 02-13-2008, 03:46 PM   #4
BUFF
Just Me

Last Activity: 02-24-2016
 @ 02:07 PM 

sounds like every one had a big time.
BUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:56 PM   #5
Chunky

Last Activity: 11-19-2013
 @ 08:41 PM 

excellent, good pics.
Chunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:22 PM   #6
Eric4x4

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 07-09-2009
 @ 09:11 PM 

Congrats again looks like a great time.
Eric4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:56 AM   #7
LostHawg

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 07-30-2018
 @ 05:37 AM 

Man, I've GOT to go on that hunt some day........

Old coot in training
LostHawg is offline   Reply With Quote