Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-11-2008, 07:56 AM   #1
Huntinfool

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 09-07-2010
 @ 04:12 PM 
Default My son gets his first bow harvest

My son Keith was fortunate enough to win one of the LSBA youth hunts at First Point. A big thanks to the LSBA and to Mike and Nancy Palmer. So in preperation of that hunt I have been looking for a hunt so he could get his first. I made several calls and checked with several places and believe it or not Keith Johns Outdoors had an opening. I talked about it with some friends at the shoots at my house and we decided we would all go. So he started practicing and we sighted in his broadheads and he started getting some confidence. So we set off in hopes of an axis doe. Keith Johns had said that if I paid for my hunt then my son Keith could hunt for free. How could I pass that up? So I got with Stephen (texbama) and Kris (krisopp) and we decided on a weekend and started making plans. We practiced every week here at my house and shot plenty of 40+. We were all on and ready. The day finally comes and off we go. We weren't even driving fast and we still got there early. We bought our groceries and bumped into Keith Johns. Shortly thereafter we met Ruffrider and his lovely wife Katy and his dad, Lee. Soon we were headed to the ranch and we all got real excited. Keith J. took us around the ranch and showed us where the stands were. Keith J. was very attentive to my son Keith and him having never killed anything more than a rabgbit with his bow. He set us in a pop up blind and we were set. Pretty soon a group came in and Keith picked out the one he wanted. Of course he was the biggest and the baddest. He was pushing all the other ones around. So we waited for a clear shot and he started to draw. I don't know if he got the "fever" or not but another animal got close and he let down and said he would wait for a better shot. Soon he had him quartering away and drew back and took careful aim. Neither one of us realized he was aiming through the screen, but his arrows path was going through the velcro on the window. He squeezed the release and hit him just a bit back. He went 5 steps and bedded down. He got up after a minute and went 10 yds. and bedded again. This time I told him we would sneak out of the blind and get his arrow and put another one in him. He made a perfect shot and he was done in less time than it took to read this sentance. We hugged and high fived and I congratulated him on his first. He said that the bucks at First Point had better look out. Here are some pics and thanks for reading.

I wish I could have gotten some better pics. But it was late we had spent an hour running through the woods chasing a wounded hog and I was tired. Thanks to Kris for taking these pics, I really appreciate it. The Jack Russell terrier is Keith Johns and his son's Wade.
Huntinfool is offline   Reply With Quote