Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-13-2008, 10:44 AM   #16
Chunky

Last Activity: 11-19-2013
 @ 08:41 PM 

Hummmmm,

I didn't see the show, so I might change my mind...but

It is common to refer to all feral pigs as "boars" or "russian boars" regardless of sex. And even if he was hiding the sex (and I can't imagine why), I don't really see the big crime. Maybe I am missing something, but what is the big deal about that.

On the second point of shooting one with very small piglets. If I thought the littles would suffer and die, I think it would be wrong...but if they are big enough to survive on their own, I see no problem with it.

Joey is right that when these guys make TV shows, they take a little artistic licence. You should know that going in. It is not a documentary or a news program, it is just entertainment. That being said, if you don't like it...by all means don't watch him.

Ethics are a personal choice, it is a very slippery slope when we start trying to judge the morals of others. I don't live in a glass house, but I do have windows...so I might occasionally throw rocks, but I am very very careful about it.

Buff's so deadly...filming him killed my camera!
Chunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 12:31 PM   #17
LostHawg

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 07-30-2018
 @ 05:37 AM 

This dude was running with this band of adolescent hogs. There was no wet sow in the bunch. I'm guessing no more than 8 maybe 10 pounds...

Old coot in training
LostHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:41 AM   #18
DEER KILLER

Send a message via AIM to DEER KILLER
Last Activity: 02-12-2013
 @ 05:30 PM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothinbutwelves View Post
she was a wet sow and i had a hunting buddy shoot one a few years ago and the babies were trying to nurse while we were dragging her off.this was the second worse i have felt in my hunting tenyer i couldnt do it myself.i do shoot sows however i just make darn sure there are no piglets.and i have sent an email to nugent.no response yet.
A pig is a pig shoot them all. Blow them all up piglets or not. Buff Where you at on this.

Kyle Scott
Old 11-14-2008, 08:05 AM   #19
Bweger

Last Activity: 11-07-2011
 @ 10:25 AM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostHawg View Post
This dude was running with this band of adolescent hogs. There was no wet sow in the bunch. I'm guessing no more than 8 maybe 10 pounds...

Like I said if it is walkin and gruntin a babie pig will survive and multiply. I have been huntin these things for a long time and I aint worrid about shootin a wet sow cause them little ones will make it on their own just fine.

Prostaff-Team MOFEA
Bweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:44 AM   #20
nothinbutwelves

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 11-08-2017
 @ 11:54 AM 

when you shoot a wet sow and leave a bunch of piglets with racing stripes still on them like ted nuge did they will all perish either from predator or malnutrition or disease.this shoat looks to be out of his stripes and agreed will more than likely make it.most of us ask the question does this place have hogs to hunt before we go hunt it.we all love to hunt pigs,lone star outdoor news last month reported that tpwd along with tex a & m are exploring a sterility drug for swine to be added to water sources all over the state eventually.a large group of hunters polled said no they do not support this the land owners are in favor of it .as a hunter that is against this i am also against orphaning a litter of piglets,this is just my two cents.
nothinbutwelves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:21 AM   #21
LostHawg

I don't like the idea of them introducing any kind of sterilization agent into the water supply. That is just morally wrong. They most likely have no idea what effect that agent will have on other native species.

I like hunting hogs as much as the next guy, but I think the hog is the most robust animal in the world. They throw litters of 8 +/- twice a year and can infest an area in minimal time. I don't have a problem with someone killing a wet sow for two reasons: First the shoats will most likely survive on their own and second, those that aren't weaned will likely be adopted or eaten by another sow or hog. Its amazing how many shoats are eaten by other hogs. Just amazing...

...but, that's just my perspective.

Old coot in training
Old 11-14-2008, 12:23 PM   #22
nothinbutwelves

and this is why i live in america where we are free to do as we please within the confines of our own laws.and we can disagree and walk away still as friends agreeing to disagree david you would be welcome in my camp any time.i just wouldnt let you shoot any wet sows,L.O.L. i am getting ready to go get after em i hope all have a great weekend and be safe.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:27 PM   #23
nothinbutwelves

oh i almost forgot since we agree on the sterilization issue remember this if you get lost and have to drink out of a water source besides a water hose it might not work out too good for ya.i will pull out my papers and get you the issue reporting the test.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:35 PM   #24
LostHawg

You know? I can understand where you're coming from. Nothing wrong with it. I just see it from a different angle.

Old coot in training
Old 11-14-2008, 12:40 PM   #25
nothinbutwelves

absolutly, and like wise.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:52 PM   #26
bustedassranch

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 04-06-2010
 @ 11:26 AM 

Should have dropped a few of the piglets too. Fit on a small grill real nice. Just to get the facts straight this one was a boar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg made me mad.JPG (208.2 KB, 51 views)
bustedassranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:17 PM   #27
Hughiam

@ 06:00 PM 
Default Nuge

Gentlemen,

You should remember that Ted's ranch in Michigan, Sunrise Acres is a high fence hog ranch. Essentially, pigs are raised and let loose in the pasture for hunting. Some breed in the enclosure, but both sows and boars are shot. All the animals, pigs, deer, buffalo are artifically fed so the little ones will be fine. In Michigan, hogs are considered livestock and you can do what you want with them.

I left Michigan 6 days ago to move to San Antonio. I worked at a hog hunting operation for a couple years and also have an affiliation with a deer hunting ranch that Ted regularly hunts at called the Buck Pole in Marion Michigan. In fact I mounted a deer Ted shot there 3-4 years ago. I don't think he ever knew I mounted it but the owner(Claude Pollington) hired me to mount it as a gift to Ted.

Ted did nothing wrong by shooting livestock, legally. I think the question here is of ethics and some folks don't like the idea of shooting sows with piglets. In nature, they might have not survived, but in the game ranches of Michigan, they will be fine.

Hugh
Old 11-17-2008, 10:27 AM   #28
nothinbutwelves

make no mistakes about it hughiam it is not the fact that he shot a sow or even a wet sow it is the fact he tried to decieve us, the camera was purpossfully held on the front shoulder and head area.the first pig was a boar and was rolled around with full camera privledges he refered to the sow as he and a boar he even said that it was a heart shot and the camera showed the sow still moving around in the ditch where she went down after a self admitted 20 min wait.these were out and out lies.i saw it and ive called him on it.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:45 AM   #29
LostHawg

Well, like I said, I didn't see it. So I'll take your word on it.

Old coot in training
Old 11-17-2008, 01:36 PM   #30
nothinbutwelves

it is not a big thing in the whole scheme of things i just get aggrevated when folks try to defend it { a lie }that is all i personnaly feel that those of us who are given the oppurtunity to be in front of thousands should be the best among us.old fashioned raising i guess i just dont care for apathy.