Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2010, 01:23 AM   #1
BOBSTER
Texas Bowhunting & Bowfishing Records Chairman

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 06-03-2021
 @ 08:08 PM 
Default Who are We, and Where have We been

I have spent the last two day at the Texas Trophy Hunters Show in Houston and a few poeple come up to me and ask "I have been bowhunting for the last 10+ years and have never heard of you so, What do you do besides let kids shoot bows?"

Where have we gone wrong in letting eveyone that shoots a bow know who we are, and how can we fix this?

I started bowhunting in 1975, around 1980 the LSBA sent me a letter telling me who they were and what they did. I really thought that was great and joined. They (LSBA) got my info from TPWD because at that time, I had to start buying the archery stamp to hunt in the Special Archery Season that the LSBA asked for and had established. Now days with the Super Combo license, the LSBA cannot tell who really is hunting during the bowseason, so a mail out is not afforable for the LSBA.

PLEASE, it is very important for each member to let other bowhunters know WHO and WHAT the LSBA is all about. "PRESERVING AND PROMOTING BOWHUNTING IN TEXAS.

Bob Kana
Old 08-08-2010, 02:42 AM   #2
ldt

LSBA Region: 79
Last Activity: 09-08-2017
 @ 07:21 AM 

It is sad, but that is the way it has been for since inception. That is why we only have 1100 menbers. I tell everyone that I know that bowhunts about the LSBA but they still fail to join. or if the join the do not renew. We used to be able to tell them about the Archery Only season but that has dwindled down to a mere formality now, so that option is no longer a valid point to get people to join. Only when they feel threatened will they seek us out. Even our association with TTHA and Bass Pro Shops does not seem to help membership. If someone knows the answer let me know what it is.
ldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
Walking_Eagle

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 01-21-2015
 @ 03:54 PM 

Bobster,
We have not gone wrong, that is the way it has always been. I think the LSBA has done everything possible to spread the word. As Idt said, this has been happening since day one of the association. We are a "Hard-Core" group, talking, eating, amd sleeping bowhunting. and only those that share our passion will be prospective members. My guess is that amounts to about 5% of the "all american sportsmen" that hunt the once "special archery season".
The 5% understand the need for repersentation to protect the sport, and are not won over by beads and bangles. A patch, window decal and a magazine iare good advertisements to promote the association.
The LSBA offers a website with a discussion forum for the publics use, not just members, that is not appears not to be popular. I guess maybe we need to have more threads about trucks, guns, etc. instead of just bowhunting.
The LSBA started and maintains a records system that is available to the public, not just members, and has "actively persued entries from bowhunters state-wide. But even a large number of our own members don't support it.
I don't have the answers to the problems that have plagued the LSBA forever. I think that we need to insure that the sevices we offer our members, such as the magazine, are of the quality to relay the message that we are "The only spokes-person for the bowhunters in Texas.
I do know that in 1990, we had almost 2300 members and the banquet that year drew over 330 guests. One of the reasons is that we spent the money to have national known speakers at our banquets.
We have not "gone wrong", we just need to tune-up the motor a little bit. It is not a matter of where we have been for the last 10 years. Where have they been?
Ron
International Bowhunter Education Program - Master Instructor
Texas Bowhunting Hall of Fame
NFAA Master Bowhunter Medal
LSBA Co-Founder
Helped create and establish the Archery Stamp in Texas
Walking_Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
Shane

Last Activity: 12-02-2016
 @ 07:50 PM 

The big thread on TBH a month or so ago had some good ideas in it. I think the idea of having lots more regional reps, even one in every major city (especially in West Texas) would help facilitate more LSBA activities and visibility everywhere.

As it is with most things, it probably boils down to a "what's in it for me?" question for prospective members. Finding ways to answer that question for people is the key. I don't have the answers, but that's the question.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #5
Walking_Eagle

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 01-21-2015
 @ 03:54 PM 

Shane, you are absolutely right, but if is a matter of "whats in it for me", we will see very little response until we have a major crisis develop. I think we need some insurance salespersons on the E.C. to convince the bowhunters that they need an LSBA policy to protect their sport.
We have known the "answers" for 35 years, we just need to ask the right question.
Thanks for your input,
Ron
International Bowhunter Education Program - Master Instructor
Texas Bowhunting Hall of Fame
NFAA Master Bowhunter Medal
LSBA Co-Founder
Helped create and establish the Archery Stamp in Texas
Walking_Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:25 PM   #6
axisbuck24

Last Activity: 07-02-2012
 @ 10:51 PM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
The big thread on TBH a month or so ago had some good ideas in it. I think the idea of having lots more regional reps, even one in every major city (especially in West Texas) would help facilitate more LSBA activities and visibility everywhere.

As it is with most things, it probably boils down to a "what's in it for me?" question for prospective members. Finding ways to answer that question for people is the key. I don't have the answers, but that's the question.
Shane,
As a current EC member, I feel that the thread was helpful and provided some great ideas.

I do not know what the answer is to informing the bowhunters in Texas that we exist.

What other activities do you feel might help with educating bowhunters about this organization?

What do you think would draw a larger crowd to the annual banquet?

What national known speaker do you feel would draw a larger crowd to the banquet? Please keep in mind that national known speaker also come with a special price tag.
axisbuck24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
Shane

Last Activity: 12-02-2016
 @ 07:50 PM 

Ron, you are right when we're talking about protecting bowhunting in the state laws and regulations - the main purpose of the LSBA. But I'm also talking about other things that are related to bowhunting that are always on people's minds. The youth hunting opportunities are a great example of that. That's one of the biggies for me with the LSBA. For others, things like 3D shoots are big. There is "competition" with ASA, TBOT, and other great organizations for shooters, but 3D has potential to be a big draw. Maybe if there was a drawing for a hunt or two for an adult, more people would join just for the chance at that. Things of that nature are what I had in mind when I said "what's in it for me?".

Jo, I think a big key to getting more people informed about the LSBA is local regional representation, and a lot of hard work by dedicated volunteers, which are hard to find. If every major city had at least one LSBA rep and that person was active and visible around the local ranges and archery shops, then that would do a lot towards getting more people introduced to the LSBA. With more reps scattered around, it might be possible to sponsor and organize more youth archery instruction, bowhunters safety instruction, 3D shoots, and all that kind of stuff.

I'm on the board of a non-profit, and I know how hard fundraising is. The banquet is great, but it could be built upon and grown to attract larger crowds I'm sure. I don't know if a big expensive speaker would be the draw or not. It probably wouldn't be THE thing that would make me choose to drive a few hours and stay in a hotel and all of that. The activities surrounding the banquet could be the biggest draw. This year's banquet was my first, and the dinner and banquet and auction were all great. We got there early in the day, as I was expecting a much larger crowd to be there for all the activities of the day that were advertised. There wasn't much of that going on though, for whatever reason. If it were possible to get more activities - maybe even get some "celebrity" bowhunters to be there and have them involved in seminars, shooting/equipment demonstrations, Q&A sessions, and things like that.... Maybe even a pro/am type 3D shoot where a celebrity archer and a regular LSBA member team up in the competition.

The charity I'm involved with here puts on a celebrity quail hunt every year. It's not cheap for us to fly in celebrities and their spouses and put them up in a hotel for a weekend, but we net $100K or more most years, and it's great PR for the organization. If there was kind of a mini-SHOT show for bowhunting put on by the LSBA, maybe some of the TV personalities would come to promote their show and/or products. If so, they'd pay their own way. Getting them involved in some of the activities would be a big draw. Get Tiffany there, and you'd have a few hundred guys show up. Maybe partnering with Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops to put on such an event would make it more doable. It would certainly get you more publicity and draw a bigger crowd.

Seriously, though. I think turning the annual banquet into a bigger event would be the best way to get bigger crowds. Of course, it would be even more work, requiring more help and more money. No easy answers.

Last edited by Shane; 08-09-2010 at 10:34 AM..
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
Death from Above

LSBA Region: 75
Last Activity: 02-01-2016
 @ 01:37 PM 

Personally I believe that the state of our country has a lot to do with membership and attendance at events. If I have to choose between actually being able to sit a stand or attend a few functions across Texas.....thats an easy one. I believe haveing more reps per zipcode is a good idea. That way folks may be able to pool resources for their district and put on more local events.

Me .... well my family is one of those "hardcore" spoken of earlier. We will bowhunt regardless. As to being members, I joined a few years back to be able to get the discount at BAO. Been a member ever since.

The LSBA is relative to my families lifestyle and we will continue to support.
John 3:16
Death from Above is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:39 PM   #9
Speak The Language

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 10-08-2013
 @ 07:40 PM 

I have a thought or two: At events such as the TTHA Show, we need one person who explains LSBA to the parents while the kids are shooting. I also think we need to redesign the membership brochure...it is very bland and doesn't catch your eye. Lastly, we need more meetings for adults and youth.

One guy at the Houston show asked what the LSBA did other than youth hunts, and the annual banquet. Bobster was able to give him the additional info.
Speak The Language is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:08 PM   #10
ldt

LSBA Region: 79
Last Activity: 09-08-2017
 @ 07:21 AM 

Shane, I sent a e-mail invitation to Lee & Tiffany asking if they would be interested in being guest speakers at this years banquet and never got a reply from them. Not a big enough draw or pay out I suppose. They are big business now and everyone wants a part of them because they will draw a crowd. As far as having someone at the TTHA shows to explain what the LSBA does, that is a great idea but we usually have to beg to get enough help to run the booth much less have an extra person there just to give information. We have some plans this year that might make the Banquet bigger, like more advertising, different raffel prizes Etc... but bottom line is we need more word of mouth spreading the news about what goes on within the organization and at the banquet to get the interest up amoung bowhunters. If we can ever get enough bowhunters involved we will grow and the banquet and other events will grow also.
ldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 11:09 PM   #11
axisbuck24

I like the idea of redesigning the brochure. I also agree that getting enough individuals to volunteer at TTHA is very difficult. It would be ideal if we could get enough help to have someone talking to the parents about the LSBA. I know that we all try to engage the parent whenever possible;however, when you have a long line and you have no other choice but to direct your attention to the kids.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:26 PM   #12
RB Walker

@ 06:00 PM 

I think you should still have kid booth but have a seperate booth in another area just for adults
Old 08-11-2010, 10:53 PM   #13
axisbuck24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
I think the idea of having lots more regional reps, even one in every major city (especially in West Texas) would help facilitate more LSBA activities and visibility everywhere.
Since the addition of regional representation has been brought up on several occasions, I would like to ask the following question: Would you be interested in assisting your regional representative in some capacity in your home area? What LSBA activities would you be interested in hosting in your area?
Old 08-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #14
rbiceo

@ 06:00 PM 

I realize this probably isn't the first place I should post...but...

I just joined the LSBA about 10 minutes ago. Alothough I have been shooting a bow for 2 years and have been active in 3d competitions and am at a local shop 3-4 times per week. I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT LSBA WAS UNTIL A FEW WEEKS AGO!

Didn't mean to shout, but sometimes answers are even more simple than that suggest. I have seen the LSBA shoots posted and signage at IBA where I am a 2 year member. I thought the LSBA was some field archery group. Sometimes doing something as simple as paying a bit more for a sign or taking the time to type out Lone Star Bowhunting Association can make all the difference.

I saw a post where it was typed out on TBH...that was all I needed to get me to join. You can thank TBH screen names...Cameron, for original post, Shane, BoneDigger for some history and WCB for input.

I will be ordering a couple shirts and stickers for the truck to help spread the word.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I am have a strong passion for this sport and want it to grow. Just wanted to throw in my "newbie" thoughts...guys in my position are who you are seeking out!
Old 08-11-2010, 11:12 PM   #15
axisbuck24

Rob,
Thanks for joining and looking forward to meeting you in the future. I agree typing out the full name of our organization does help especially on other forums.

On the thread Cameron started on TBH, I did see the post asking what is LSBA. I have made an effort to type out the full name of our organization when I post on other forums;however, sometimes I am guilty of using the abbreviated version.