Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-10-2007, 01:27 PM   #1
Hot4huntin
LSBA Past President

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 07-29-2019
 @ 02:25 PM 
Default Proposed Regulation In Illinois Will Keep Youngsters Out of the Field

Not bowhunting or Texas related, but... At a time when when the number of hunters is declining in the U.S., this could be detrimental to hunting. We all should be looking for a way to increase the number of hunters and work on introducing others to hunting.

Quote:
Illinois Police Propose to Restrict Youth Hunting
Proposed regulation will keep youngsters out of the field
October 5, 2007 (National)

Law enforcement officials in Illinois have proposed regulations that will prohibit young people from partaking in hunting and other firearm-related activities.

The Illinois State Police (ISP) has submitted a proposal to the Joint Committee on Administrative Rules (JCAR) that will prohibit anyone under 10 years of age from obtaining an Firearm Owners Identification Card (FOID). All Illinois residents who buy or possess firearms are required to have a valid FOID card. The proposal appears to be the department’s knee-jerk reaction to anti-hunting/anti-gun activists who responded with hysterics after reading a satirical article that made light of how easily a newborn could obtain a FOID.

The ISP’s proposal has drawn the ire of sportsmen. It denies parents of the right to decide when and how children get involved in hunting and shooting sports. If the age restriction is put in place, it will delay the entry of successive generations into the hunting heritage and lead to a decline in the sportsmen’s community.

“Research shows that in states with hunting age restrictions, the recruitment and retention ratio of new hunters is lower than in states that do not have such restrictions,” said Bud Pidgeon, USSA president. “At present, Illinois does not have a minimum hunting age, and we would like to see it stay that way.”

The JCAR is an administrative body responsible for reviewing and considering proposed regulations. Prior to considering proposed regulations, JCAR must observe a 45-day public comment period during which citizens may submit written comments.

USSA will submit official comments to JCAR early next week. Illinois sportsmen should keep an eye to your e-mail for an action alert.
In Illinois, in 2000 there were 14 hunting accidents that resulted from the discharge of a firearm. Three of the accidents are listed as self-inflicted, while the others resulted from a hunter mistakenly shooting his partner or someone in another hunting party. Fortunately, there were no fatalities recorded as a result of these accidental shootings.

http://www.lib.niu.edu/ipo/2001/oi0108tc.html

In 2005, there were 15 Class A accidents involving the discharge of a hunting device. There were 300,000 hunting licenses issued last year.
Treestands are the number one cause of hunting accidents in Illinois.

I cannot believe that law enforcement is catering to the anti-hunters and anti-gun crowd. I may not be a Illinois resident, but I will be writing a letter and would encourage all outdoorsmen and women to do the same.

Mrs. Bobby Kana and Ty and Hunter's Mom =)

Support Bowhunting~Join LSBA!

LSBA~Your Membership is Your Voice
Hot4huntin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:10 PM   #2
txhunter
Administrator

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 09-12-2016
 @ 08:05 PM 

This is ridiculous. Why in the heck would they do this.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:19 PM   #3
howie1968

Last Activity: 01-25-2010
 @ 09:16 PM 

that is absolutely ridiculous it is sickening to say the least im glad I and my daughters live in Texas they have all grew up hunting i could never imagine that
howie1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:45 PM   #4
Videographer

LSBA Region: TX
Send a message via Yahoo to Videographer
Last Activity: 11-21-2009
 @ 07:41 PM 

Wow...and Illinois is one of the so called "Monster States" when it comes to Whitetail Hunting.

Makes you kind of wonder, who (and why) exactly is trying to take the youngsters out of the hunting grounds!
Old 10-11-2007, 09:35 AM   #5
Graybow

Last Activity: 09-28-2014
 @ 11:25 PM 

There are several states with these laws. Glad we do not have them here. Having been in law enforcement, you would be surprised at how many police officers are antigun for the public.
Graybow is offline   Reply With Quote