Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
bustedassranch

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 04-06-2010
 @ 11:26 AM 
Default opinions needed

I guess I have 2 questions.

1) What do you consider a Trophy? Anything shot with a bow? Anything that makes the book? A once in a lifetime animal taken? What is your definition?

2) What do you consider a trophy lease? A lease that has a chance to take 150 to 180 bucks? A lease that people are taking 120's & 130's on a regular basis? What is your definition?

I had a conversation with my lease manager where I stated our lease was not nor will be a trophy lease. He looked at me like I was nuts. I am guessing my standards are too high? I mean yes a trophy to me is taken when I recover an animal. That being said a "trophy" to me is also an animal that is a once in a lifetime like a monster from Canada or something like that. The lease I am on is a great hill country lease, but Im not sure it is a "trophy" lease. Maybe Im nervous that if the term "trophy" keeps getting tossed around that they will start pricing it like a trophy lease.
Thanks for taking the time to read this & helping me set my mind straight.
bustedassranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Bill M
Super Moderator

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 06-22-2018
 @ 01:32 PM 

I consider a trophy any buck better than the best one I already have which is a 142 and change ten point. That definition doesn't fit hunting at home though which is where I normally hunt. I have no firm definition here. I'm not a trophy hunter but still look for that better buck. I'm not going to spend tons of money to achieve that better buck. I remember years ago when we just deer hunted. If we got a good buck, icing on the cake.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
txhunter
Administrator

Last Activity: 09-12-2016
 @ 08:05 PM 

Anything I shoot is considered a trophy. I don't have an opportunity to take 150's where I hunt. Most of the time, not all of the time, the more money you spend, the bigger deer you have an opportunity to take. Whether this be a weekend hunt on a high fence ranch or on a deer lease. So I guess what I am saying is that since I don't spend much money, $300 year for my lease, I don't expect to kill a monster buck. So again, any animal I kill is a trophy to me. Doesn't even matter if it is a doe or buck.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
Shawn D

Last Activity: 03-29-2014
 @ 12:26 PM 

A trophy is in the mind of the hunter. If they believe its a trophy then it is and no one should take that anyway.

Just my view
Shawn D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
Spur

LSBA Region: 76
Send a message via AIM to Spur
Last Activity: 02-26-2010
 @ 06:33 PM 

A trophy is what ever makes me smile, a trophy lease is a place to enjoy the sport with my family that has any deer, pigs or turkey at all on it.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #6
Bisch

Last Activity: 01-15-2017
 @ 06:03 PM 

I think "trophy" is different for everyone. I have a living room full of trophys that a lot of people would wonder why I spent the money to have them mounted. I do have a couple of P&Y animals, but, most of what I have mounted are "firsts for me" or hold some other special memory. Anyway, I hope you do not get priced out of your lease because the T word gets tossed around too much.

Bisch
Bisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #7
fatman

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 03-22-2011
 @ 01:42 PM 

Any critter I get to take with a bow is a trophy to me,& a trophy lease to me is a place close to home to take my grandson hunting.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
Ronny
LSBA Region 75 Rep/Hunt Committee

LSBA Region: 75
Last Activity: 06-09-2016
 @ 05:36 AM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisch View Post
I think "trophy" is different for everyone. I have a living room full of trophys that a lot of people would wonder why I spent the money to have them mounted. I do have a couple of P&Y animals, but, most of what I have mounted are "firsts for me" or hold some other special memory. Anyway, I hope you do not get priced out of your lease because the T word gets tossed around too much.

Bisch

X2 I feel the same way.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #9
Death from Above

LSBA Region: 75
Last Activity: 02-01-2016
 @ 01:37 PM 

To be honest my best "trophies" call me dad........what I mean is any animal I have taken on my own pales in comparison to those taken that my son and I experience together. I will remeber and charish his first deer, then first buck. Long after anything I have on the wall. When little sis starts it will be even sweeter.
John 3:16
Death from Above is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:16 PM   #10
rtread

Last Activity: 04-02-2014
 @ 07:21 PM 

I think trophy deer are in the eyes of the beholder. You walk into Cabela's and you are overwhelmed by trophies. You walk into someone's house....or den, you see their trophy. You shoot your first deer when you are a youngster and it definitely is a trophy. Your first archery buck is dang sure a trophy. I count as one of my greatest lifetime achievements that first mule deer buck I shot in my first year of bowhunting. Is it a "trophy"? In its purest form.
rtread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:38 AM   #11
bountyhunter

Last Activity: 09-06-2012
 @ 04:35 PM 

I'm one of those that feel any animal I take with a bow measures up to being a trophy. I've killed a few nice bucks over the years some would laugh at, but they are all trophies to me and that is what counts.

My definition of a "Trophy Lease" is a place that cost more to hunt, than I'm willing to pay. When you grew up hunting for free it is hard to pay the prices being asked today. I do like some of the other folks thoughts that a Trophy Lease is a place to take the kids and grandkids to hunt, I'll buy that 100%! I know teaching my son how to hunt and fish was one of the biggest joys in my life. Now I can't wait to help my grandkids learn when the time comes.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bounty...v=wall&ref=sgm
bountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:48 AM   #12
ldt

LSBA Region: 79
Last Activity: 09-08-2017
 @ 07:21 AM 

Any aminal I take or have taken in the past is a trophy to me, whether it be a 160" buck or a mature doe. As I have progressed as a bowhunter I have decided that I will not take a buck unless he is at least 5 1/2 years old. I feel this is the minimum age for a deer to reach his true potential. I also shoot only mature does. If you every want to have exceptional deer on your lease, whether it be in the Hill country, South Texas or even West Texas, you have to wait until the deer are fully mature to harvest them. They will not get big if you continue to shoot them when thay are young.You could debate this issue for decades and get a multitude of different answers. Bottom line, if it makes you happy then it is a trophy. If you want exceptional deer be content to watch and wait until they are mature. Just my 02
ldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:17 PM   #13
tsadler

Last Activity: 06-16-2011
 @ 11:49 AM 

Wow, 150-180 bucks is a lot of deer to shoot in one season..... Oh, I'm sorry, you meant 150-180 inches of antler...

While I'd love to take a once in a life time buck, once I did that, what else would I shoot? I guess I'm also with Bill on this one - a trophy is bigger than the last one I shot - either in body or antler size.

Twelve Ring Twins proudly supports Mathews, Carbon Express, Doinker, Mossy Oak, Hawg Lite, Alpen, T.R.U. Ball, and Extreme.
tsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #14
Tomme
Region 78 Rep/Hunt Committee Chairman

Last Activity: 06-13-2015
 @ 08:31 AM 

I agree with many of the statements made above, especially "in the eye of the beholder". The first deer I had put on the wall was an 11 pt that I took off of the "C Ranch." That ranch had some truly fine P & Ys taken on it during the early through mid 1990s. My buck had good mass, but no real tine length. The brow tines were five inches long, but that's about how long the other tines were. The buck gross scored 117 and netted 114. With all that said, I still consider it one of my finest "trophies" and one that resided on the wall of my office for over 10 years. Every time I looked at him and remembered that hunt I couldn't help but smile.

I like big horns, but I tend to hunt for memories the most. The memories of a good or great hunt with friends is the best trophy for me.

Now perhaps more to the original question, what do "you personally" condsider to be a trophy? A 125 class P&Y off of public land is a true trophy in my book. A 170 class, artifically inseminated, high protein fed, high fenced, pen raised deer might or might not make the cut for my personal trophy collection. It would ultimately depend on the quality and difficulty of the animal to hunt. I'd still like to look at those horns though.
Tomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #15
Walking_Eagle

Last Activity: 01-21-2015
 @ 03:54 PM 

I believe we are talking about the difference that separates " Trophy Class" and "Record Class". The word "Trophy" has been mis-used in the world of hunting.
1. Trophy - Webster defines this as "something gained or given in victory or conquest, esp. when preserved or mounted as a memorial". To me, this means any deer that I choose to take can be considered a "Trophy".

2. Record - Anything that meets or excedes established minimums for a selected recording system. (TBBR - 100, P&Y - 125, B&C - 170)

You could harvest a trophy that is also a record class.

I feel that the term "Trophy Ranch" should be " Managed Ranch" offering quality record class animals. Harvest rules can be set by the ranch, leasee's, or both parties to promote management of quality animals.
Ron
International Bowhunter Education Program - Master Instructor
Texas Bowhunting Hall of Fame
NFAA Master Bowhunter Medal
LSBA Co-Founder
Helped create and establish the Archery Stamp in Texas
Walking_Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote