Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #256
AWMiller

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 09-29-2012
 @ 09:04 PM 

Flying Dog Raging Bitch
Flying Dog Brewery | Frederick, Maryland USA
Purchased @ Beer & Wine World - Mansfield, Texas USA

Style: Belgian-style IPA

ABV - 8.3%

IBU - 60

My gosh this has got to be one of the best that Flying Dog has to offer at this time!! This brew poured up a dark apricot-colored body that is crystal clear sporting a thin white bubbly head that dissipated quite slowly and left amazing lacing effects. Aromas are rich and full of citrussy hops, sweet malts, yeast, much like warm bread right out of the oven. Flavors are rich and malty with hints of that bitter bite from the hops here and there. The flavor of yeast is quite present but not overbearing in any way. I found that as this beer warmed the flavors and scents intensified and became much more enjoyable. Medium-bodied, very smooth (almost creamy) and slightly carbonated. Very easy on the drinkability scale with a crisp clean and refreshing finish that has enough of the hops to put in a good bite but enough of the malts to smooth it out. I can tell this one is gonna be a favorite in my fridge soon!

Pairing Recommendations: beef, buffalo, bison, burgers, Cajun, fish/seafood, Indian, Korean, Mexican, Thai

Disclaimer: All beer tasting notes and reviews are subjective. The thoughts and opinions contained herein are those of the ‘bier vorgeschmack’ and him only. The intent of this beer review is to spur interest in brands and styles that one may not normally indulge in and to entice them to venture out and try new brews. While some may argue that there are no other beers than Miller, Coors, Bud, and Keystone, this is much akin to arguing which vanilla ice cream tastes the best. There are more brews out there; try some and enjoy the savory adventure.
AWMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #257
AWMiller

Left Hand Sawtooth Ale
Left Hand Brewing Company | Longmont, Colorado USA

Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter (ESB)

ABV - 5.3%

IBU - 27

I think I have found a bitter that sets the bar for this brew style way up!! This brew poured up a dark orange colored body topped with a thick white frothy head with good retention and lacing effects. Aromas of caramel, sweet malts, zest of citrussy fruits. Flavors of citrus fruits, hops, pine nuts and wheat bread. Medium-bodied with good carbonation with a smooth, clean, dry finish that is very, very, very refreshing with a sweet, malty aftertaste that has just the right bitter bite!

Pairing Recommendations: beef, buffalo, bison, brats/sausage, poultry, fish/seafood, cheese/cream pasta, pheasant, quail, grouse, rabbit

Disclaimer: All beer tasting notes and reviews are subjective. The thoughts and opinions contained herein are those of the ‘bier vorgeschmack’ and him only. The intent of this beer review is to spur interest in brands and styles that one may not normally indulge in and to entice them to venture out and try new brews. While some may argue that there are no other beers than Miller, Coors, Bud, and Keystone, this is much akin to arguing which vanilla ice cream tastes the best. There are more brews out there; try some and enjoy the savory adventure.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:33 PM   #258
AWMiller

Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout
Breckenridge Brewery | Denver, Colorado USA

Style: Oatmeal Stout

ABV - 4.95%

IBU - 31

Was expecting more from this stout so I’m hoping that future releases are amped up a bit! Poured up a near pitch-black body with a thin bubbly mocha-colored head with somewhat good retention and marginal lacing. Aromas of dark roasted coffee beans, sweet malts and a slight hint of hops; smelt good but the taste was… well… lackadaisical. Starts off with a robust hit of sweet malts and coffee along with some roasted nuts flavoring mixed in. The finish is a bit bland with no really good aftertastes to speak of. Medium-bodied but a bit ‘thin’ when I compare this one with other oatmeal stouts that I have tried in the past.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:37 PM   #259
AWMiller

Unibroue Don de Dieu
Unibroue | Chambly, Quebec (Canada)

Style: Belgian-style Strong Pale Ale

ABV - 9%

IBU - 10.5

My gosh these brews from Unibroue are absolutely astounding! Each one remarkably unique in its own special way! This brew poured up a rich dark golden colored body with a thick white foamy head with good retention and lacing. Aromas of toffee, spices, sweet malts, and fruity esters (first time for me to really pick up on these!!). Medium-bodied, smooth and creamy, filled with flavors of ripe apricots, hops, peppers (spices), wheat grains, toffee, and either burnt suger or dark honey. Yeah you can tell there’s alcohol packing in this brew and as the beer warms it just gets better! The finish is dry and refreshing with lingering flavors of bread and grains of wheat; very robust and flavorful. Stock up and enjoy!

Pairing Recommendations: poultry, Chinese, Indian, rabbit, shellfish

Old 08-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #260
AWMiller

Unibroue Trois Pistoles
Unibroue | Chambly, Quebec (Canada)

Style: Belgian-style Strong Dark Ale

ABV - 9%

IBU - 15.5

Yet another outstanding brew from Unibroue! In fact, I cannot recall any of the brews from Unibroue that I have sampled were not of good quality character! This brew poured up a succulent, deep dark mahogany colored body topped with a large bubbly mocha-colored head that refuses to dissipate and then lacing that you will want to run your finger around the glass and lick up! Intense aromas of dark cherries, dark chocolates, and caramel. Medium-bodied, not one single bit of hiding that sweet alcohol flavor, and flavors of sweet malts, chocolates, cherries, spices with a refreshing and enticing dry finish with sweet notes of caramel aftertastes. It is getting very difficult to choose which Unibroue brew is the best … but then, why choose?!

Pairing Recommendations: beef, buffalo, venison, wild boar

Old 08-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #261
AWMiller

Abita Wheat
Abita Brewing Co. | Abita Springs, Louisiana USA
Purchased @ Lone Star Beverages - Carrollton, Texas USA

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

ABV - 4.2%

IBU - 15

Whoa! Definitely not what I was expecting! This one was thin, watery, bland … heck a Coors Light has more to offer than this brew! Here are the particulars… Aromas of malts, grains and zest of citrussy fruits. Flavors are very bland and ‘wheaty’/grainy but lacking in substance in my opinion. Light-bodied, very carbonated, and way too easy to quaff. Honestly blogging, there are better options in this brew style out there!!

Old 08-10-2011, 08:46 PM   #262
AWMiller

Avery White Rascal
Avery Brewing Company | Boulder, Colorado USA

Style: Belgian White (Witbier)

ABV - 5.6%

IBU - 10

Oh what a wicked rascal this one really was!! This brew poured up a cloudy straw-colored body with a thin bubbly white colored head that quickly dissipated down to a thin sheen and left moderate lacing. Aromas of wheats, yeast, citrus fruits, hops, cooking spices (nutmeg, cinnamon, and perhaps coriander). Flavors of the same in this light-medium bodied brew that is well carbonated with a finish that is both spicy and sweet (from the malts) with both flavors lingering long after the brew has been enjoyed! One of the better witbiers I’ve had in quite a while.

Pairing Recommendations: fish/seafood, shellfish

Old 08-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #263
AWMiller

Bitburger Premium Pils
Bitburger Brauerei | Bitburg/Eifel, Germany

Style: German Pilsener

ABV - 4.8%

Had this one while on vacation in Maui (Hawaii) and man do I wish I had chosen a different brew! I’ve heard and read a lot about this brew and everyone was highly recommending it. To me this brew is not that much to rave about for it is a ‘marginal’ brew in my opinion. Once I tasted the brew it was very bland, lacking anything of any sort of robustness. The flavor was there and then it was suddenly gone; but it wasn’t skunky in any way though. Would I try this one again? Probably not, unless I was in Germany and could get this on tap.

For my beer-nerd details regarding this brew, please click here.

Old 08-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #264
AWMiller

Rahr & Sons Gravel Road
Rahr & Sons Brewing Company | Fort Worth, Texas USA

Style: German-style Sticke Altbier

Another fine brew from the fine folks at Rahr’s Brewery!!! This brew poured up a rich brownish-red colored body (much like a cherry Dr. Pepper) with a monstrous off-white colored foamy head with intense retention and lacing! Aromas and flavors packed full of caramel, dark fruits, sweet malts, yeast, toffee and just enough bitter hops. Near medium-bodied, well carbonated with a finish that is so crisp and refreshing; the aftertaste is slightly hoppy but then there is enough malts to balance it out with a sweet lingering aftertaste. VERY easy on the drinkability scale so be sure to slow down and enjoy this fine brew! Would be a definite go-to brew for some smoked meats or decadent burgers! Just need me a Rahr Brewery stange to make for the ultimate glassware to enjoy this brew in!! (hint hint there Rahr & Sons!!)

For my beer-nerd details on this brew, please click here.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:01 PM   #265
AWMiller

Hinano Tahiti
Brasserie de Tahiti S.A. | Papeete, French Polynesia
Purchased while on vacation in Maui, Hawaii USA

Style: Pale Lager

Had this enjoyable brew while on vacation in Maui, Hawaii. This brew is one that I wish I could find in my area as it would definitely be one I’d be enjoying on a regular basis! The flavor that this brew provides was very pleasing and it is definitely an easy brew to drink due to its light body and very good tastes! This brew was gone before I knew it!

For my "beer-nerd" details on this brew, please click here.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #266
AWMiller

Hite Beer
Hite Brewery Company LTD | Hongchun Gun, Kangwon, South Korea

Good gosh does this brew bring back some memories of my years spent in South Korea while I was in the military. I found this brew by chance while in the Korean grocery store picking up some veggies. While standing in the check-out line, I noticed the new beer signs and decided to go peek and see what they had … sure glad I did! Many, many, many, many bottles of this brew were emptied by my efforts while in South Korea and this is one fine brew to be tried and enjoyed! It has a flavor that would rival (and in my opinion, beat down!) many of the micro-brews, or as I like to call them – “add-junks”! This brew is very light and very easy to drink and it is a very refreshing brew as well. If I were looking at brews for a BBQ or fish fry and this beer was next to some like Miller, Coors, Keystone, etc.; I’d be picking up the Hite and enjoying some good beer!

For all my "beer-nerd" details on this brew, please click here.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #267
AWMiller

Fuller’s London Porter
Fuller Smith & Turner PLC | Chiswick, London, United Kingdom (England)
Purchased @ Whole Foods Market

Style: English Porter

It’s hard not to enjoy a good porter!! In fact I can’t recall when I had a bad one. Probably the most enjoyable aspect of this brew was its thick and creamy texture and flavors that had me enjoying it from start to finish! This brew is so rich that one could easily forget that they were drinking a beer! While enjoying this brew my mind was racing thinking of various beef dishes that it would pair up nicely with; although it could very well stand on its own as a great dessert beer too!

For my "beer-nerd" details on this brew, please click here.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:04 PM   #268
AWMiller

Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale
Stone Brewing Co. | Escondido, California USA
Purchased @ Kegs & Corks - Mansfield, Texas USA

Style: Black IPA

Say ‘hello’ to my little friend! This being my first Black IPA, I’m thinking that the bar has been set high by the folks at Stone Brewery! While at the beer store the other day I needed something to round out the selection that I was purchasing and saw this one out of the corner of my eye. Last bottle, so off with me it went! When I first opened it up I knew I was in for a treat because the aromas were just, well, intoxicating! Definitely one of the finest smelling brews I have yet to enjoy! Being a malt-head this brew is just the right choice; thick, rich, flavorful, awesome. This is one of those fine brews that should be paired up with a juicy porterhouse steak or a succulent rib-eye steak!

For my 'beer-nerd' details on this brew, please click here.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:53 PM   #269
AWMiller

Sapporo Reserve
Sapporo Breweries Ltd. | Tokyo-to Tokyo-shi, Japan
Purchased @ Kegs & Corks - Mansfield, Texas USA

What a surprise! This brew was much better than I had anticipated and has helped start the change in my mind as to the perceptions that I have towards certain beers from Asia! I truly enjoyed the maltiness of this brew! It looked so light but has a really good ‘chewy’ texture to it but it is nothing overbearing so don’t let that throw ya! This brew was very tasty too with flavors that were very well-blended. I will certainly be venturing more with Asian beers thanks to the likes of this one!

Old 08-23-2011, 09:43 AM   #270
AWMiller

Southern Star Bombshell Blonde Ale
Southern Star Brewing Co. | Conroe, Texas USA

Style: American Blonde Ale

One of the few blonde ales that I have tried thus far and definitely one of the most flavorful! And the brewery is right here in Texas too! The rich texture and bold flavors have certainly put this brew high up on my list! I paired this brew up with some delicious venison round steak and what a match-up they were! With this long Texas heat-wave this summer, this brew was just the ticket for a momentary chance to cool down! What I enjoyed most was the ‘doughy’ flavor that this beer possessed; sort of reminded me of Hungry Jack biscuits! This brew is definitely one I will be pairing up with some slow-smoked brats on toasted hoagie buns and covered with sauerkraut!!