Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-17-2011, 11:39 AM   #151
AWMiller

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 09-29-2012
 @ 09:04 PM 

Pyramid Curve Ball Blonde Ale
Pyramid Breweries, Inc. | Seattle, Washington USA
Purchased @ Kegs & Corks - Mansfield, Texas USA

Style: Kolsch

ABV - 5%

My personal notes: This brew poured up a hazy golden-amber colored body with a nice frothy head that dissipated quickly down to a small sheen on top with minimal lacing effects on the glass. Aromas of honey, lemon, and bread fresh out of the oven. Flavors of the same in this light-bodied brew with a hearty amount of carbonation. This is a great brew for those dog days of summer! Easy to drink and very flavorful; pair it up with your favorite meats at the BBQ or fish at the fish fry.
AWMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #152
AWMiller

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. | Chico, California USA

Style: American IPA

ABV - 7.2%

My personal notes: This brew poured up a rich dark copper-colored body with a thick off-white foamy head with good retention and lacing effects on the glass. Aromas of floral hops, grapefruit, and spicy peppers. Flavors of the same packed with a bitter punch right in the kisser! Medium-bodied, very dry, hoppy, spicy, hoppy with a bone-dry, bitter finish. Oh, did I mention it was ‘hoppy’?! Smoked salmon, grilled flounder, stuffed shrimp, beer-butt chicken all come to mind as great pairings for this mouth-puckering brew!!
Old 06-17-2011, 11:46 AM   #153
AWMiller

Flying Dog In-Heat Wheat
Flying Dog Brewery | Frederick, Maryland USA

Style: Hefeweizen

ABV - 6.7%

IBU - 12

My personal notes: Well, another ‘hefe’ added to the AW BHoF!! This brew poured up a cloudy, golden-orange colored body gold beer with a thick foamy head. Careful on the pour as there are yeast floating about so pour in roughly 3/4 of the bottle then give the bottle a few swirls to break up that yeast and then pour the remainder of the bottle into your glass. Aromas of yeast, bananas, cloves and grains. Flavors of lemons, sweet malts, cloves, bananas, and caramel. Light-bodied with good carbonation with a crisp, smooth, clean finish and a long-lingering aftertaste of banana nut bread. Definitely one of the best from the Flying Dog brew line-up! Pairings include: spicy, spicy fish tacos or spicy grilled oysters!
Old 06-20-2011, 08:30 PM   #154
AWMiller

Anchor Porter
Anchor Brewing Company | San Francisco, California USA
Purchased @ Lone Star Beverages - Carrollton, Texas USA

Style: American Porter

ABV - 5.6%

My personal notes: One of my favorite go-to porters! This brew poured up near black with a mocha-colored, very foamy head with amazing retention and lacing effects. Aromas of caramel, coffee, toffee, dark fruits (figs, raisins), and a touch of molasses. Flavors of the same in a medium-bodied brew. Extra creamy and smooth with just a touch of a hoppy bite to make for a clean, refreshing finish. You can’t go wrong with this porter! Fire up the grill or smoker and toss on your favorite meat cuts! For the outdoorsy type pair up this brew with some venison or wild boar!!
Old 06-21-2011, 02:35 PM   #155
AWMiller

Deschutes Black Butte Porter
Deschutes Brewery | Bend, Oregon USA

Style: American Porter

ABV - 5.2%

My personal notes: How can one go wrong when it comes to choosing an awesome porter? By not choosing this one!! This brew poured up a rich, dark brown colored body with a frothy one-finger head with good retention and excellent lacing effects on the glass. Sweet aromas filled with coffee, roasted malts, warm breads, and a hint of hops. Medium-bodied, silky smooth, and a rich malt-filled flavorful brew. There’s just enough hops to balance out with the malts for a nice, crisp finish full of flavors of brown sugar and grains. If you are going to be stocking up on porters, this needs to be part of your stash! Pair this brew up with your favorite grilled or smoked meats; for wild game this would be excellent with wild boar, venison, dove, ducks and squirrel.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:35 AM   #156
AWMiller

Guinnes Draught
Guinness Ltd. | Dublin, Ireland

Style: Irish Dry Stout

ABV - 4.1%

IBU - 40

My personal notes: I had high expectations for the Draught. I mean, being from Guinness I was ready for one stellar Irish-style Dry Stout. Unfortunately this one did not meet those expectations. Maybe the recipe was changed or something? Whatever the case may be I think I am going to stick with other brews in the Guinness lineup until this one gets some backbone put back into it. This brew poured up a near pitch black colored body with a creamy one-finger head with excellent retention and lacing effects (at least the visuals were enticing!). Aromas of hot caramel, sweet malts, coffee and chocolate; all somewhat on the smokey end of the spectrum. Medium-bodied (but rather watered-down tasting) with flavors of roasted malts, coffee with a very dry, slightly hoppy bite on the finish. I say that it is medium-bodied but in all honesty this one was just way to watery for my tastes and expectations. It is not a bad brew, but it is definitely not the best in this beer style. Best paired up with smoke meats (rich in fat) and grilled veggies.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #157
AWMiller

Lone Star Beer
Lone Star Brewing Company | San Antonio, Texas USA
Purchased @ Beer & Wine World - Mansfield, Texas USA

Style: American Adjunct Lager

ABV - 4.72%

My personal notes: When it comes to macro-brews, this here’s my go-to! A Texas boy’s gotta love a Texas macro-brew!! Salute, y’all! Now being an adjunct (mass produced) brew, I don’t hold it up to those standards as I do for the much better craft brews! Nevertheless, this is one brew that I’ve always liked for some reason or another. This brew poured up a clear, straw-colored body with a one-finger bubbly head that quickly dissipated to a thin sheen and minimal lacing effects on the glass. Scents and flavors of basically any adjunct lager; grains, some malts, some hops. Light-bodied and smooth; some sweet malty flavors followed up with a clean, refreshing finish of a little hoppy bitterness. I’d definitely go for this one before any of the other mass-produced, mass-advertised brews (Miller, Coors, Busch, Keystone, etc.). A good beer for the BBQ or fish fry or some greasy, beefy nachos during the big game!
Old 06-23-2011, 08:55 AM   #158
AWMiller

Redhook ESB
Redhook Ale Brewery | Woodinville, Washington USA

Style: Extra Special/Strong Bitter

ABV - 5.8%

IBU - 28

My personal notes: This brew poured up a clear, amber colored body with a hearty head that was very creamy that soon dissipated to a thin sheen on top and left minimal lacing on the glass. This one smelt very lively dominant with hops which lent it a citrusy smell and hints of light caramel. Medium-bodied and very easy on the drinkability scale. Sweet malts are tasted first followed by a good hoppy bite (much like grapefruit). As the brew warmed the scents and flavors intensified more pleasingly. The finish is crisp and dry and powerful. Grilled pork or perhaps some grilled or roasted venison would make a great pairing with this brew.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #159
AWMiller

Rogue Dead Guy Ale
Rogue Ales | Newport, Oregon USA

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

ABV - 6.5%

My personal notes: Truly a brew for quality quaffing! This brew poured up an amber colored body with a bubbly thin head that dissipated rather quickly and left good lacing effects on the glass. Sweet aromas of malt, hops, and island fruits (almost like jack-fruit which is used to make Juicy Fruit gum). Medium-bodied, smooth, easy on the drinkability scale. Very malty so it has a good ‘thickness’ to it. The finish is so creamy and clean with no harsh aftertastes of any sort. Definitely a brew to pair up with grilled or smoked fish!

Disclaimer: All beer tasting notes and reviews are subjective. The thoughts and opinions contained herein are those of the 'bier vorgeschmack' and him only. The intent of this beer review is to spur interest in brands and styles that one may not normally indulge in and to entice them to venture out and try new brews. While some may argue that there are no other beers than Miller, Coors, Bud, and Keystone, this is much akin to arguing which vanilla ice cream tastes the best. There are more brews out there; try some and enjoy the savory adventure.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:24 PM   #160
AWMiller

San Miguel Pale Pilsen
San Miguel Corporation | Manila, Philippines

Style: Adjunct Pilsener

ABV - 5%

My personal notes: Another great go-to of mine in the adjunct (mass produced) beers! A twist of lemon or lime and let’s fire up the grill or fryer! This brew poured up clear golden-colored body sporting a very bubbly head that quickly dissipated down to a thin sheen that left marginal lacing effects on the glass. Strong aromas of warm bread, fruits, and something akin to honeysuckles. Very light bodied and well-carbonated. Sweet malty flavors with an exceedingly refreshing finish with no harsh aftertastes. This brew should be a staple at your BBQ or fish fry. Seriously good brew!

Disclaimer: All beer tasting notes and reviews are subjective. The thoughts and opinions contained herein are those of the 'bier vorgeschmack' and him only. The intent of this beer review is to spur interest in brands and styles that one may not normally indulge in and to entice them to venture out and try new brews. While some may argue that there are no other beers than Miller, Coors, Bud, and Keystone, this is much akin to arguing which vanilla ice cream tastes the best. There are more brews out there; try some and enjoy the savory adventure.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #161
AWMiller

Sol
Cervecería Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma, S.A. de C.V. | Monterrey (Nuevo León), Mexico

Style: Adjunct Lager

ABV - 4.5%

My personal notes: This is a staple macro-brew for me whether i’m here in Texas or chillin’ down in Los Cabos! A squeeze of lemon or lime and time to drink! This brew poured up a crystal clear body with a thin foamy head that dissipated quickly and left marginal lacing effects on the glass. Aromas of corn and grains. Strong flavors of corn and hops in the light-bodied, easy-drinking brew. The finish is very dry and full of grains. Paired perfectly with grilled fish but more so with grilled oysters topped with a spicy habanero pepper salsa!! Ay Caramba, gimme a Sol!

Old 06-24-2011, 01:39 PM   #162
AWMiller

San Miguel Dark Lager
San Miguel Corporation | Manila, Philippines

Style: Euro Dark Lager

ABV - 5%

My personal notes: This brew poured up a dark, chocolaty brown body with a thick, foamy mocha-colored head with awesome retention and lacing effects on the glass. Aromas and flavors full of hops, caramel, malts, and smoke from those old-timey smokehouses up in the Ozark Mountains. Light- to Medium-bodied, smooth, with a very clean finish that’s not too hoppy with a touch of vanilla lingering long afterwards. Definitely a brew to pair up with smoked meats or wild game! I had it with some venison steaks and veggies!

Old 06-27-2011, 10:14 AM   #163
AWMiller

Erdinger Weissbier (Hefe-Weizen)
Erdinger Weissbräu | Erding, Germany

Style: Hefeweizen

ABV - 5.6%

My personal notes: This brew poured up a murky, orange-colored body with a foamy off-white head with fairly good retention and lacing effects on the glass. Careful on the pour of these hefeweizens a yeast is present in the bottle. Pour 3/4 of the bottle and then gently swirl the bottle around a few times and then pour the rest into the glass; this helps break up the yeast components and enhance the look of the brew. Aromas of wheat, cloves, warm banana nut bread (or is it homemade banana pudding?). Medium-bodied, creamy smooth, with a nice spicy (clove-like) finish with just a bite from the hops to blend well with all that sweetness. I would consider this a table-brew much like what you would find in a table wine at a restaurant. Not a bad brew but definitely not in the line a great brews in the hefeweizen style. Pairs well with grilled fish or shrimp.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #164
AWMiller

Ommegang Abbey Ale
Brewery Ommegang | Cooperstown, New York USA

Style: Dubbel

ABV - 8.5%

My personal notes: Dubbels are just an amazing ale and this brew doesn’t fall short of greatness! This brew poured up a deep, dark copper-colored body topped off with one hearty, bubbly (tiny bubbles) head with a retention and lacing effects like nothing I have ever experienced! I was still licking up foam when the liquid was completely gone! Aromas of sweet roasted malts, caramel, toffee, honeycomb, dark fruits (grapes, figs), and cloves along with other spices. The flavors are so complex that you must truly enjoy this brew on your own to gain a true understanding of what I try to describe. Medium-bodied, smooth and a finish that is dry and spicy. Truly worthy of induction into my all-time favorites list! Paired up with a hearty roast beef dinner or perhaps a succulent Shepherd’s Pie, this ale will certainly not disappoint!

Old 06-27-2011, 10:47 AM   #165
AWMiller

Maui Brewing Big Swell IPA
Maui Brewing Co. | Lahaina, Hawaii USA

Style: IPA

ABV - 6.2%

IBU - 50+

My personal notes: Egads that’s one hoppy brew!!! That’s one big swell of hops! Wooooooooo doggie!!! I must confess, being a malt-head I tell it like I taste it but I do work on developing a liking for hoppy brews. But if you like hops, then this brew is for you!! This brew poured up a clear orange-colored body that sported one of the most dazzling heads of foam I’ve ever poured up or seen poured! The swell in that head looked like the swells we see at Hale’iwa (North Shore on Oahu)! The retention was very good and the lacing effects were fantastic! When you open the can your sense of smell is smacked with a huge wave of grapefruit (from the hops) along with some faint hints of malts and caramel. That’s a smack filled with ‘aloha’ mind you!! Flavors are full of grapefruit with some orange mixed in here and there. Thankfully there is enough malts mixed in that kept my face from puckering entirely up from all that hops! Hey, they did warn on the bottom of the front of the can that this brew was hoppy! This is a medium-bodied brew that has a ‘slickery’ feel to it. The finish is … hoppy! I would definitely pair this brew up with a deep fried crab topped with a habanero-mango salsa!