Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-27-2007, 10:12 PM   #16
Chunky

Last Activity: 11-19-2013
 @ 08:41 PM 

What Buff and the others said. Please feel free to give me a call sometime as I think it would be better than a long response here.

Mark Johnson
281-399-1636
Chunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:18 PM   #17
Eric4x4

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 07-09-2009
 @ 09:11 PM 

He is an embarrasment to bowhunting, or maybe it is just the editing of his show?
Eric4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:00 AM   #18
LostHawg

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 07-30-2018
 @ 05:37 AM 

I think most bowhunting shows are an "embarrassment". Why do you think Chuck Addams doesn't have one? I've read some of his stories and talk about haphazard...

The Drury brothers, Will Primos, Knight and Hale, the Wensels, Fred Bear, Howard Hill they all about fall inline with what Barta is doing. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a monopoly on it. Try sitting down and watching the "Truth" series of videos...

If you're interested in traditional, feel free to ask us any question. We've got Chunky and Buff as well as others who are very qualified to help you out.

Old coot in training
LostHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:09 AM   #19
LostHawg

Grizz, this site is for the Lonestar Bowhunters. If any of the sponsors have a problem with questions and answers, then they need to consider whether or not they're in it for the money or for supporting bowhunting.

We are a nonprofit organization supporting the bowhunters of Texas. Its not a marketing thing.

**This is MY opinion regarding comments on this site. It does not necessarily reflect that of the membership or executive council of the Lonestar Bowhunters Association.

Old coot in training

Last edited by LostHawg; 12-28-2007 at 09:12 AM..
Old 12-28-2007, 01:42 PM   #20
grizz

Last Activity: 12-27-2008
 @ 01:01 PM 

Thanks for the input! I was looking thru the tips/suggesttions and posts and found some good stuff. I didn't realize the tuning effort involved! Like I said..a good challenge for the offseason...wouldn't hunt with one for awhile I would think..

Was looking at the Black Widow sponsors link and I'm not adverse to spending that cash IF THE product QUALITY/Service supports the cost. I *knew* some trads who use the BW but that's the extent of my knowlege. I hope to semi-retire soon and will have ample time to travel/hunt.

Any suggestions as to which BW..I'm a treestand hunter and need a short bow. I do hunt bear so I'd like some KE.

Whats the PTF,PMA,PSA, PSR nominclature translation

What are the advantages/disadvantages of a one piece bow vs the take down bow? Can you have multiple Weight limbs that are interchangeable so you can change for different game situations?

Lastly, just wondering do you all "hold" and shoot on deer or snap shoot instintively (after much practice, I know)..how long can a "normal" guy hold drawn w/o letoff? Tred looked like he snap shoots and Buff said Tred was a "good shot" so is this the hunting style?

I'm getting serious about getting one so again..any ifo is aprreciated.

BossBowman..I'll call and check those contacts out.

Again...lots of info and Thanks for offers to help! I'll need it.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:49 PM   #21
grizz

Last Activity: 12-27-2008
 @ 01:01 PM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFF View Post
it doesn't cost a lot to get started. You can pick up a good used bow for $100.00 .
Got any contacts? I'd hate to ebay this...these
laminated bows can crack and separate...would want to buy from reputable source preferabble already tuned/spined
Old 12-28-2007, 04:24 PM   #22
Bossbowman

Last Activity: 09-19-2017
 @ 02:40 PM 

All they guys I have seen shoot trad, shap shoot it. Basically I've been told if you don't have the time or drive to practice every day and stay in shape/form you should really go the compound route. Traditional takes alot of time and effort, I've tried it briefly with 60 lb martin dream-catcher, and never could get confident enough to shoot at an animal so I went back to my matthews compound (probably was too much weight). However there are definitely some advatages to the snap shoot, I can definitely see where you could get quick shots off at deer that would be basically impossible to do with a compound.
Bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 12:15 PM   #23
LostHawg

The best shots will usually hold at anchor for about a 2 - 3 count.

I always try to make sure I have a solid anchor before I release, and then I focus on a smooth release. I would not consider that snap shooting.

The focus of the instinctive form of shooting is not how fast you can get rid of the arrow. I should be on how consistant you can maintain your shot.

Solid anchor, steady/locked bow arm, clean - pulled through release utilizing your shoulder muscles to pull your fingers off the string, not just letting go of the string.

Black Widow probably has the MOST reputable name and quality. There are many others of the same quality such as Bob Lee, Bear, Great Plains, Horne, Sarrels, Adcock, and 21st Century. However, what might be a good bow to one, may not quite measure up for another. That's why its recommended that you try a few different bows if that option is available to you.

I highly recommend you check out the Great Plains and Sarrels bows. Great Plains is now building the Tomahawk line of bows as well and you can see them at www.3riversarchery.com.

Make sure you get a bow light enough that you will be able to work on your form without being strained to hold the bow back. 40 - 45 pounds will do this AND be legal to hunt with once you've made the choice to do so.

Don't rule anything out till you try it.

Old coot in training
Old 12-30-2007, 09:42 PM   #24
bowtechhunter

@ 06:00 PM 

I agree tred barta has a terrible show
Old 12-31-2007, 06:47 AM   #25
LostHawg

Honestly, I don't see much difference between him, Primos, Knight and Hale, Bob Fouldrod, the Wensels, etc. I think folks are just more critical of him because he uses the longbow, he's got the only traditional bowhunting show that I know of, (does Eichler have one?) and he's more into enjoying hunting as opposed to selling scent eliminator, deer pee, or X brand of bow like ALL the other shows do.

I'm not a Tred Barta fan, I don't condone or disagree with him, I just prefer to look at things honestly and fairly.

Read some of Chuck Addams adventures if you don't believe me...

Well, y'all go ahead...

Old coot in training

Last edited by LostHawg; 12-31-2007 at 03:55 PM..
Old 12-31-2007, 03:56 PM   #26
LostHawg

Default Thread reopened.

Back on board.

Old coot in training
Old 12-31-2007, 11:33 PM   #27
DraglineMan

Last Activity: 10-03-2008
 @ 10:05 PM 

The new PMA series take-downs are CNC “precision crafted” with greater accuracy, detail and consistency than we have ever been able to achieve in the past. The black “phenolic” riser sections of the handle and limbs make a distinctive two-tone contrast; plus they are more impervious to moisture in the critical areas around the mounting pins and limb bolts. The extended shelf provides more protection for the hand and the outside edge of the shelf is relieved with a “paradox channel” to make it easier to achieve good arrow flight off-the-shelf. If smoothness and comfort are more important to you than maneuverability, then the PMA series may be your Black Widow of choice. The longer handle, with it’s long sight window, also permits the use of sights if that is your game. I shoot a PMA 46# at 28" and i like it.
DraglineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 11:35 PM   #28
DraglineMan

Last Activity: 10-03-2008
 @ 10:05 PM 

The new PSA series take-downs are CNC “precision crafted” with greater accuracy, detail and consistency than we have ever been able to achieve in the past. The black “phenolic” riser sections of the handle and limbs make a distinctive two-tone contrast; plus they are more impervious to moisture in the critical areas around the mounting pins and limb bolts. The extended shelf provides more protection for the hand and the outside edge of the shelf is relieved with a “paradox channel” to make it easier to achieve good arrow flight off-the-shelf. The PSA has a two inch shorter handle than the PMA series and is intended for the instinctive shooter that can utilize a shorter sight window than the PMA series. The shorter handle, in turn, allows for a comparatively longer working limb, making it possible to use a shorter overall bow length for greater maneuverability.I dont own a PSA but my dad has a few of them and he likes them.
DraglineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:37 AM   #29
BUFF
Just Me

Last Activity: 02-24-2016
 @ 02:07 PM 

A few????? I do love my BW bows but I would not recommend them as a first bow. I would think a Martin or Sweptwing would make a better starter bow.
BUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 07:43 AM   #30
BUFF
Just Me

Last Activity: 02-24-2016
 @ 02:07 PM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostHawg View Post
Honestly, I don't see much difference between him, Primos, Knight and Hale, Bob Fouldrod, the Wensels, etc. I think folks are just more critical of him because he uses the longbow, he's got the only traditional bowhunting show that I know of, (does Eichler have one?) and he's more into enjoying hunting as opposed to selling scent eliminator, deer pee, or X brand of bow like ALL the other shows do.

I'm not a Tred Barta fan, I don't condone or disagree with him, I just prefer to look at things honestly and fairly.

Read some of Chuck Addams adventures if you don't believe me...

Well, y'all go ahead...
Does Eichler have a show? It is my favorite of the hunting shows. The man travels all over the country whacking animals with a Plamer and a Hoyt and does it with out all the chest beating about his equipment. The clip where he shoots a Grizzly bear that is standing , looking at him is one of the best I have ever seen.
BUFF is offline   Reply With Quote