Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > Bowhunting In General > LSBA Campfire
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-18-2007, 12:55 PM   #1
Bossbowman

Last Activity: 09-19-2017
 @ 02:40 PM 
Default Crossbows replacing archery in october?

One of the individual that works for the crossbow manufacturers is spewing a bunch of info on another forum, I wonder if theres any validity to it?, the link to the whole thread is below the quote

Quote:
I hate to burst your bubble, but the other bow companies are on board as well behind the scenes. Probably even your bow company. Why? Because they are now involved with manufacturing xbows since it's been a fast rising sport. They don't want to go broke so they needed to get on board as well. Also, the xbow is recognized as a great recruitement tool to lead shooters to buy traditional equipment. TPWD is the biggie behind this bill. Several Game Wardens shoot xbows, as do several members of the House of Reps and other legal people. Why? Because they are given the opportunity to shoot and learn about the xbow where as bow hunters don't take the time to teach those people how to shoot a vertical bow, they seem to just whine about sharing an archery season and listening to that over and over sure gets old. Most are not doers, just whiners. Nothing is gained if nothing more positive or lucrative is offered. Let me warn you about what will happen if this vocal group of bowhunters doesn't calm down and quit thinking it's exclusively their October season, because I've already heard the comments from House Reresentatives and Lobbyist. You know, the people that pass these regulations and laws. One, is a god friend of mine. What is being threatened is this: Since there are 500,000 xbow shooters, and 300,000 bow (Longbow/compound bow) they see more money coming in from the xbow shooters and the idea has been brought to the floor that if those 300,000 shooters want an exclusive season, they will make October xbow season, then run the general season, and when that season is finished. THEN in January, have those minority bow hunters their own exclusive season if that is really what their problem is with allowing xbows during archery season. It would be pushed back to after everyone else is done hunting. So, the moral to this story is... AND you are exactly right about the money. Isn't everything in the business world? Companies and associations do not run on emotions. They look at the bottom dollar. TPWD is doing the same thing thinking if they allow xbows in archery season, all those 500,000 shooters will have to purchase an archery tag. Money does talk, and that's just how it is. Emotion does not put money in the bank. If you want to fight this, then YOU need to figure out how the minority of bow hunters will bring in more money, and positive influences in, and good luck with that. Oh, and yes, I'm Prostaff for several companies in the industry, because I believe in those companies, and the products they sell. As well, they believe in me and what I have to teach about the products and companies, and what I do. I just love to hunt and I love to teach others how to get started and mentor the youth along their journey into the woods. I also love to help the elderly and handicapped have the opportunity to continue the tradition. My stance is anyone who wants to hunt, will hunt with me. Last deer season, I paid out of my own pocket $7,000.00 for the deer we let people harvest, who couldn't afford to hunt, to pay the bill due to ranch owner we guide and outfit for. I'll never leave ANYONE behind, and I don't give a s... what weapon we use, just as long as we have fun, are ethical, and are successful. I've never been prejudice to any weapon, or any person, and I would hope my fellow hunters would have the same atitude. Hunters helping hunters should be what it's all about. Not this pedy crap of ewe, You shoot a rifle, or you shoot a bow, or you stab hogs. If you don't like that method, don't do it! Don't whine about it. Mind your own business and go have fun. It's ALL good. Now, if they would try to take bow hunting away, you can bet your ass I'd be screaming the loudest and doing my part to back the bow hunters up just like any other hunters, and their chosen method of collection, because that's what the right thing to do is. It doesn't matter if it's something I like or not. We are all passionate lovers of this sport. There shouldn't be any peddy whining in this sport. We are all supposed to be the elite, respectful, better citizens of the world. Leave that other crap to the fine, upstanding citizens of the New Orleans Katrina victims group. Where's my money? I deserve that money! The gov't owes me that money! The law says I deserve that money-It's my legal right! Gets old, huh?
http://www.texashuntfish.com/flexifo...&sid=30&fid=25
Bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:55 PM   #2
Bossbowman

Last Activity: 09-19-2017
 @ 02:40 PM 

Heres the most important part

Quote:
Let me warn you about what will happen if this vocal group of bowhunters doesn't calm down and quit thinking it's exclusively their October season, because I've already heard the comments from House Reresentatives and Lobbyist. You know, the people that pass these regulations and laws. One, is a good friend of mine. What is being threatened is this: Since there are 500,000 xbow shooters, and 300,000 bow (Longbow/compound bow) they see more money coming in from the xbow shooters and the idea has been brought to the floor that if those 300,000 shooters want an exclusive season, they will make October xbow season, then run the general season, and when that season is finished. THEN in January, have those minority bow hunters their own exclusive season if that is really what their problem is with allowing xbows during archery season. It would be pushed back to after everyone else is done hunting. So, the moral to this story is... AND you are exactly right about the money. Isn't everything in the business world? Companies and associations do not run on emotions. They look at the bottom dollar. TPWD is doing the same thing thinking if they allow xbows in archery season, all those 500,000 shooters will have to purchase an archery tag. Money does talk, and that's just how it is.

Last edited by LostHawg; 07-24-2008 at 10:53 AM..
Bossbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 02:18 PM   #3
BUFF
Just Me

Last Activity: 02-24-2016
 @ 02:07 PM 

I'm pretty sure my bow company is not making X-bows. I was also doubt there are 500,000 folks wanting to hunt with X-bows.
BUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:40 PM   #4
Trailboss
Super Moderator

Last Activity: 03-02-2009
 @ 09:32 PM 

I think we can safely assume that the same people that are hawking crossbows are the same people that are coming up with these figures. I seriously doubt there is much validity to their claims.

As for me - I'll be one of the last ones kicking and screaming about crossbows in archery season. With the exception of the physically handicapped - I don't feel they belong in archery season.

Trailboss
Trailboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:14 PM   #5
Ronny
LSBA Region 75 Rep/Hunt Committee

LSBA Region: 75
Last Activity: 06-09-2016
 @ 05:36 AM 

I would like to know where they got those numbers :shock: I'm with you Trailboss
Ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:24 PM   #6
grizz

Last Activity: 12-27-2008
 @ 01:01 PM 

Sounds like a scare tactic to me. I will vote my conscience, not for any fear or threat. Rest assured, I am a motivated voter and will voice my displeasures with any rep.

Whine..Whine..Whine...

Lots of name calling against people who think we're inconsequential
Old 07-19-2007, 01:40 PM   #7
Trailboss
Super Moderator

You know - if push comes to shove - we could always shove back. If said bow manufacturers are so bent on making crossbows to get a share of that market, maybe we should let them have it and keep their other bows too.

There are plenty of good bow companies out there and some who are not building crossbows. Maybe we should take our business to them and let the other companies know why we're doing it.

They shouldn't be able to have their cake and eat it too!

Trailboss
Old 07-19-2007, 02:51 PM   #8
Hot4huntin
LSBA Past President

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 07-29-2019
 @ 02:25 PM 

All the misinformation, warnings and name calling kinda makes me want to have a long talk with that woman! :twisted:

Mrs. Bobby Kana and Ty and Hunter's Mom =)

Support Bowhunting~Join LSBA!

LSBA~Your Membership is Your Voice
Hot4huntin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:51 PM   #9
Linedawg

Last Activity: 09-17-2007
 @ 10:28 AM 

Like others have said, "it sounds like scare tactics."

I'm with trailboss. If Bowtec is making crossbows (I don't think they are) I'll go to someone else. If it gets so bad that all the compound manufacturers are building crossbows I'll go back to trad. The loud mouthed crossbow folks can.......
You get the point.
Linedawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:55 PM   #10
Trailboss
Super Moderator

It's not that I have anything against the bow manufacturers deciding to make crossbows too. More power to them. If they want a piece of that pie, they should have it.

But when they start lobbying to move crossbows into Archery Only season, then they're messin' with my pie and I don't like it!

Trailboss
Old 07-19-2007, 04:25 PM   #11
Ronny
LSBA Region 75 Rep/Hunt Committee

LSBA Region: 75
Last Activity: 06-09-2016
 @ 05:36 AM 

I think Bowtec makes a crossbow, but i dont think they are the ones pushing this thing.
I think a lot like Trailboss.
And its RAINING in Cumby again today :cry:
Ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:27 PM   #12
grizz

Last Activity: 12-27-2008
 @ 01:01 PM 

Can we get a list of these manufacturers pushing this agenda? Good Idea TB!
Old 07-19-2007, 06:42 PM   #13
Hot4huntin
LSBA Past President

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 07-29-2019
 @ 02:25 PM 

Parker makes crossbows! I sure hope they aren't pushing it. I will make sure before I purchase the new Contender. I like the way you think, TB!

Mrs. Bobby Kana and Ty and Hunter's Mom =)

Support Bowhunting~Join LSBA!

LSBA~Your Membership is Your Voice
Hot4huntin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:35 PM   #14
DZaidle

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 09-22-2009
 @ 08:40 AM 
Default Re: Crossbows replacing archery in october?

My magazine is planning a pro-crossbow "blitz" between now and the next legislative session to allow crossbows in the archery season. There is no *real* reason to not do so.

I hope that dedicated bowhunters will realize this truth, and embrace the fact that crossbow hunters are the future of primitive weapon hunting. We are losing hunters at a depressing rate. Anything we can do to recruit more hunters is a plus for "us" and a minus for "them."

DZ
DZaidle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:07 PM   #15
Trailboss
Super Moderator

I'm gonna have to disagree with the statement that crossbow hunters are the future of primative weapons season. I just don't believe that.

Archery only season was established for archery equipment - not muzzle loaders and not crossbows. And no sir - crossbows are NOT archery equipment. Not by definition - not by fact. They just are not! Archery Only season has gotten along quite well without crossbows being allowed and we don't need them now. Not allowing crossbows in archery season is not the reason for declining numbers of hunters. The urbanization of our society is to blame for that. Not allowing crossbow hunters in archery season is not preventing anyone that wants to hunt with a crossbow from doing it. They can do it now under current provisions.

I am not anit-crossbow as I've said many times. I'm not opposed to anyone using a crossbow to hunt. I'm not even opposed to someone using a crossbow in archery season if disabilities prevent them from using more conventional gear.

I just don't see the need for including crossbows in archery season when they are already allowed in the general season and are already allowed in archery season for people with disabilities.

You folks can paint this picture as pretty as you want, but the truth is - this is being pushed by the crossbow manufacturers for one reason only - dollars! You can claim to have lofty ambitions to be the saving grace of archery - but the truth is, you're doing this for money - plain, simple, and the truth! You can put lipstick on a pig but it only makes it a prettier pig. It's still a pig!

Trailboss