Click Here to Return to the LSBA Forum Homepage

LSBA Homepage LSBA Store Join the LSBA FAQ Online Radio Calendar Gallery
Go Back   Lone Star Bowhunters Association > LSBA Information > Website and Forum Feedback
Get Weather Info. Enter your zipcode:

Register Crossword Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
Nancy

Last Activity: 09-28-2013
 @ 06:23 PM 
Default Crossbow in bow season

I had to vote yes, for one reason only. Handicaped individuals or those unable to physically pull a bow weight to ethicly kill an animal due to a physical/medical problem. Only with a signed script from a M.D. would be able to use a crossbow during bow season. Those that want to hunt with a bow during bow season should not be punished because of their handicap.
That's my 2 cents on that.
This thread is not ment to start up a long heated discussion just wanted to explain my yes vote. Would there be cheaters and hunters that buck the system with a doctor that does not know better, YES! There are, but the law could be put into place for those that are honest and truely love to hunt and are God fearing, honest people.
ok, that's the end of my 2 cents,

Darren (Durwood)
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #2
Walking_Eagle

LSBA Region: 78
Last Activity: 01-21-2015
 @ 03:54 PM 

Durwood,
What you stated has been in place for some years, and the LSBA supports the handicap law.
Now they want to open archery season to crossbows to everyone, not just the handicap.
The crossbow is already legal in General season which is over ninety days long. You and I pay extra for archery season, lets keep it "Archery".
Ron
International Bowhunter Education Program - Master Instructor
Texas Bowhunting Hall of Fame
NFAA Master Bowhunter Medal
LSBA Co-Founder
Helped create and establish the Archery Stamp in Texas
Walking_Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 10:55 AM   #3
nothinbutwelves

LSBA Region: 77
Last Activity: 11-08-2017
 @ 11:54 AM 

wow i hope everyone else is boned up on the current laws before voting yes.a little research goes a long way.durwood just gave a textbook of the description of what we have had for decades.keep your 2 cents in your pocket if you dont know what your spending it on !
archery is a purist sport for purists crossbows in their present form are not archery.if this law passes we need to attack the peramaters of allowabillity for the use of a crossbow I.E.poundage or the way it is drawn as well as no scope no mechanical winch to pull it back or ease it off.this would put the crossbow back in its primitive form as it was used in the 18 century.and this would cut out the desire to use it in any season.
JUST MY 2 CENTS.
nothinbutwelves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
LostHawg

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 07-30-2018
 @ 05:37 AM 

twelves, you'd have to be careful with that or you'll put a large number of compounds at risk of the same scrutiny.

Old coot in training
LostHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 10:03 AM   #5
nothinbutwelves

if there are any compounds out there using winches to pull them back and let them down or using rifle scopes or these drawlocks cut them to ! oh by the way just my 2 cents.i am an old fashioned type of guy my beliefs are being passed at at an alarming rate.including child raising all the way up to the way we hunt and relax.but i find alot of people that i know in that fast lane calling me for various things that have gotten away from them i guess i just yearn for a slower more pure form of hunting that requires us to put in the time to get to success.as your personal definition of success is defined in your life.you know it wasnt that long ago we were fighting over the introduction of compounds to recognized archery.growing pains of the past.now we find ourselves in the midst of growing pains of today.but i will fight until i have lost ! i believe in our right to hunt with archery equipment.and the crossbow in its present form is not archery !
Old 05-04-2009, 09:58 AM   #6
LostHawg

LSBA Region: 76
Last Activity: 07-30-2018
 @ 05:37 AM 

David, I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying we've got to be clear as to what we want. I mean, it was bowhunters like Ron Collier and Larry Zimmerman working with parks and wildlife that established our bow season. It wasn't the market. The market's suppose to be there for us, not the other way around. Yet, they are selling to the legislature that the season's belong to them and not the people.

Old coot in training
LostHawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:44 PM   #7
nothinbutwelves

Amen Brother.we Agree Totally.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:50 PM   #8
bowhunter_716

@ 06:00 PM 

First off, I say vote NO!!!!!! there is nothing wrong with the way the hunting laws are set up now. Once again it is legislature with motives that will benefit some lobbyist group. Trust me when I say this people. This has nothing to do with making it easier and available to the handicapped person. The existing laws already do that. And also trust me when I say this, that if this passes into law then you might as well kiss your archery season goodbye all together! Just give it time. If you think im crazy then just look at the history of lawmaking. New laws are passed when they have a judgement from the past of an existing law. Why do you think lawyers always refer back to other cases from the past. Not trying to make anyone mad here, but all hunters, not just archery hunters better pull their heads out of their (you know what). Listen people, Lawmakers are employed buy us citizens to protect us, our heritage, our morals,and our freedom. they are not there to protect some lobbyist group that sees a window of opportunity to cash in on some major money!!!! ill get off my soap box now. And that is my take on this.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:28 PM   #9
traildust

Last Activity: 10-04-2016
 @ 04:46 PM 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durwood View Post
I had to vote yes, for one reason only. Handicaped individuals or those unable to physically pull a bow weight to ethicly kill an animal due to a physical/medical problem. Only with a signed script from a M.D. would be able to use a crossbow during bow season. Those that want to hunt with a bow during bow season should not be punished because of their handicap.
That's my 2 cents on that.
This thread is not ment to start up a long heated discussion just wanted to explain my yes vote. Would there be cheaters and hunters that buck the system with a doctor that does not know better, YES! There are, but the law could be put into place for those that are honest and truely love to hunt and are God fearing, honest people.
ok, that's the end of my 2 cents,

Darren (Durwood)
Wow,...thats really all I can say....